Combo Extension Cab

So I’m toying with the idea of adding an extension cab to my 1x10” combo. I’m thinking it’ll add a little extra punch and fullness to my stage sound (although I always mic up at gigs) as well as raising the combo’s 10” speaker higher off the ground and I’m bound to look way cooler being stood in front of a mini stack (although realistically I’ve no actual hope of looking cool)? 

I’m really liking the Dinky cab from Zilla but it usually comes with a 12” speaker. How would a 1x10”/1x12” mini stack work/sound or would I be best stacking 2 1x10’s? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    It doesn't matter at all. You'll get more bottom end from a 1x12" usually, but a 10" speaker in a 12"-size cabinet can also sound pretty full.

The more important thing is to check that the combo can take an extension speaker at the same time as the internal one, and what impedance it needs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2018
    Go 1×12. My Laney VC30-210 has 2x10 Jensen C10Q16 speakers. Great tone but I also use it with the matching Laney 1x12 cab. It's nothing special, closed back with a Celestion 1x12 seventy eighty, but it really adds some nice fullness and bottom end that works really well with the tens. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I used to gig an Orange Rocker 30 combo and added an Orange 1x12 to make a mini stack. It certainly added some bass to the sound, probably because it had a closed back and the combo had an open back.  It was good having the amp raised, and yes it looked better too!