dual amp setup advice

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 26
Hi all new on here. Im starting to experiment with a dual amp setup and was wondering if anyone else on here uses it and how they set their volume in a band situation. During a sound check would you set your main amp to gig level then increase the other amp until you hear it in the mix or would you gradually increase both amps until your overall volume is at gig level? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Are you using a splitter with a phase switch? Once that is sorted then you can adjust volume accordingly. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31366
    I take a feed from the right stereo out of my effects unit, via an A/B box with ground lift and phase reverse into the FX return of amp 2, meaning that the channel volume on amp 1 is a master volume control for both amps. My A/B box is passive, which is fine after buffered effects. 

So basically I'm using the preamp of amp 1 into the power sections of amps 1 and 2, via a multi FX. 
  • So if my second amp doesn't have a fx loop can I go in the front end? So ur saying the volume on amp 1 controls the volume but what about the master volume on amp 2? 
    Yes you can go into the front end, in fact I do with one of mine .

The master volume on amp 2 depends on where it is in relation to the FX loop, but if you're in the front end anyway then yes it will come into play. 
    The way I set my amps up is only one of many options though. 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I gigged with two amps for years and even have two set up at home now for practice. 

Two ways I used them, firstly guitar into a delay pedal that offered stereo delay with two outputs, setting one feed to below 50ms and the other to the other amp between 50-100, in a one guitar band it really thickens the sound up, just using the amps and their onboard reverb and foot switch changing channels and an ABY switch to select either or both amps at once. 

The second way was just to have one amp set slightly on the edge of breakup or mild drive on all the time with no fx and the other amp 'wet' with all the fx and drives into it and just using that for different tones. The first amp just adding something to fill the sound out. 

Just have a play and see what works for you. There's loads of ways to combine two amps, through ABY switches, through fx pedals with two outputs etc. 

I've probably been lucky but never suffered from any ground hum issues, but a good ABY switch will have a ground lift and one isolated output. 

Space on stage may be a consideration, having two combos may not be feasible with smaller stages.  I've got a compact 212 cab that can go mono or stereo with two different speakers suited to the amps and two heads that go on top, keeping your footprint smaller, but being taller increases the risk of drunks knocking them over or you pulling them over with your cable. 
  • Ok so I tried a few things tonight like going from the fx send into the front end of other amps and tbh it sounded thin and fizzy...tbh I'm lucky to have some nice amps so I don't really need a 2 amp setup but for those more in the know I'll say what gear I have and maybe you could recommend something to try 

So I have a Marshall jcm 800 2204 with no fx loop, a jcm 900 dual reverb head and combo (both with fx loop) marshall bluesbreaker combo no fx loop, marshall valvestate 8080 with fx loop and an orange ad30 combo. Can't remember if the orange has a loop or not. I have a lehle aby pedal and a suhr iso pedal I bought a while ago but never really used. Also have a boss dd3 I always use.  Also have a fryette power station 2 that I use for the bluesbreaker and sometimes the jcm 800. 

• I’ve just set up a stereo rig at home using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001LO6Q7K/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s great fun and I found the best results for me we’re to run the one amp with effects and the other dry. Using lower gain settings and slightly lower volume on the second ‘dry’ amp I had much better results 

I had a ground loop issue which the box sorted but no phase problems  however the box will fix that too. Also has a buffer built in 
  • Once I just plugged a cable from the second input on a Tweed Champ to the input on a Princeton Reverb, and it sounded amazing. Dirty Tweed, clean Princeton. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    p90fool said:
    I take a feed from the right stereo out of my effects unit, via an A/B box with ground lift and phase reverse into the FX return of amp 2...
    Why are you using this box? Is it just for the ground lift, as I wouldn't have thought you would need phase reverse?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • My marshall valvestate is a nice hybrid from early 90s so I tried going from the fx send into the front end of the bluesbreaker but it sounded awful. Would this be cos I went in the front end (bluesbreaker has no loop)? It could just be the fx send return is damaged on the valvestate, it sounds nice on its own. If I'm doing this would it sound much better going into the fx return of a nice clean amp such as a vox ac30c2 thus bypassing the preamp section? Iv seen YouTube clips of ppl putting rackmounted preamps into the fx return and it sounds nice. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    billando said:
    My marshall valvestate is a nice hybrid from early 90s so I tried going from the fx send into the front end of the bluesbreaker but it sounded awful. Would this be cos I went in the front end (bluesbreaker has no loop)? It could just be the fx send return is damaged on the valvestate, it sounds nice on its own. If I'm doing this would it sound much better going into the fx return of a nice clean amp such as a vox ac30c2 thus bypassing the preamp section? Iv seen YouTube clips of ppl putting rackmounted preamps into the fx return and it sounds nice. 
    Yes - you don’t really want to go from one preamp into another.

Either split before the amps - then you can have different amounts of gain if you like, or split after one preamp and go into an effect return/power amp in so you could have more spread/ different or stereo effects.  

I usually just go out of my effects into the amps but if I’m using a modeller like the fractal then I’ll go into the effects return.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gadget said:
    p90fool said:
    I take a feed from the right stereo out of my effects unit, via an A/B box with ground lift and phase reverse into the FX return of amp 2...
    Why are you using this box? Is it just for the ground lift, as I wouldn't have thought you would need phase reverse?
    Just for the ground lift, yes, it is in phase with these two particular amps.