Techy amp bias questions...

What's Hot
Hi all,

I have put new Tung Sol 6L6 tubes in my Fender Supersonic 60... Upon biasing, the tubes are reading 50.8mv at the lowest setting on bias pot. This increases to 80 mv at top of bias pot. Fender calls for 32mv, if i remember correctly the last tubes went from round 20mv to 50 mv on the bias pot... 

Is it safe to run the amp at 50.8 mv?
Do these high readings indicate at any problems with the tubes/amp?

Cheers much
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Much too high really. That's going to be well over 20W at idle.

The problem is the valves. I've come across this with Tung-Sols before...

It would be possible to mod the amp to give more range on the adjuster, but really you just need valves which are closer to the design spec.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Cheers ICBM! It came with Groove Tubes 6L6GC... Any recommendations for new ones of these? Also, any thoughts on replacing the Celestion Vintage 30 with an Alnico Cream?
    vertigo88 said:

It came with Groove Tubes 6L6GC... Any recommendations for new ones of these?
    I would get JJs.

vertigo88 said:

Also, any thoughts on replacing the Celestion Vintage 30 with an Alnico Cream?
    I've never heard an Alnico Cream, but the V30 is a terrible choice for that amp in my opinion!

My current favourite speaker for Fender-style amps is the Jensen Tornado neodymium, the original 100W model - I haven't tried the others yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

I know what it is, I've just never heard one.

£215!!

• Thats the one I was thinking... Aye I was thinking a neo would be good in it. Have you got any room to do amp work next week? I stay up in the Highlands but am in Edinburgh during the week for work just now. Cheers
    vertigo88 said:
    Thats the one I was thinking... Aye I was thinking a neo would be good in it. Have you got any room to do amp work next week? I stay up in the Highlands but am in Edinburgh during the week for work just now. Cheers
    Yes, should do. PM me.

• vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
    edited February 2018

• vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
    edited February 2018