Tele advice

What's Hot
I've got a bit of a telecaster project on the go and fancy putting a strat pickup in it instead of the usual chrome covered tele single coil.  Partly because I really liked it in the Jerry Donahue tele I used to have but also because I have one of Ash's triple blues neck pickups sitting in a drawer and no strat to put it in.

Looks like I'll have to widen the neck pickup route a little to get it to fit but will also need to find a scratchplate which has been cut to take the bigger pickup.  I had a quick look online but can only see companies in the states offering that option, anybody know somewhere in the UK to order one from?  Also anybody know the best way for someone with no router to widen the hole in the body?

Finally tele bridges, I'm trying to work to a rather small budget on this one and will need a decent bridge that wont break the bank.  I need a classic steel ashtray bridge with brass saddles, any recomendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Axesrus do a superb vintage bridge with brass saddles. Cheap too!

As for the routing, you should only use a router to clean up a hole. You enlarge that hole with a Forstner bit in a drill (pref a drill press to keep things square).
    If you aren't fussed about it being tidy just 'hog' it out with a Forstner bit and then tidy it up with sand paper.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    I second Axesrus or Wilkinson for a cheap Tele bridge.
    I can't remember if you live around the London area ... but if you wanted the rout opened up with my huge tool (1600w router) I could do that in ten minutes for nout if you popped it around (along with a bottle of Spitfire bitter).
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Axecaster, http://www.axecaster.co.uk/, in Ilford do a genuine Fender one for @£15 without the saddles, I ordered one and a set of compensated saddles for £22.50 I think.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited March 2014
    Thanks chaps.  I'll have a look at the axesrus and the axecaster bridges.  @TheGuitarWeasel part of my region is one of the branches at Lakeside shopping centre which I don't think is a million miles from you so I might just take you up on that. I'll be ordering a bridge pickup for it anyway and could pick it up at the same time.  Ale will be provided  :D
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    Thanks chaps.  I'll have a look at the axesrus and the axecaster bridges.  @TheGuitarWeasel part of my region is one of the branches at Lakeside shopping centre which I don't think is a million miles from you so I might just take you up on that. I'll be ordering a bridge pickup for it anyway and could pick it up at the same time.  Ale will be provided  :D
    There you go ... we just have to make sure we clear up afterwards ... my big tool makes a lot of mess and my Mrs is fed up with it :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;187029" said:
    Adam_MD said:

There you go ... we just have to make sure we clear up afterwards ... my big tool makes a lot of mess and my Mrs is fed up with it :)
    You can tell he's a professional ;)