The Pinnacle Of.....?

What's Hot

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Here's an unfashionable one; 'Love Over Gold' by Dire Straits. Knopfler's writing had developed enormously in just four years since their debut - it had become almost cinematic ('Telegraph Road' and 'Private Investigations' in particular). Bigger arrangements, different keyboard textures and 'that' guitar style and tone (Schecter 'S' types into a MkII Boogies) at its zenith.
    +1 Telegraph Road.  A great album that was overshadowed by some of the more commercial content they released both before and after it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @randomhandclaps

Genital Warts, Lol.

I actually bought the album when it came out, they're great.
    I went to see them at Barrowlands and it was a really great gig.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Bucket said:

I'm very much in a minority here, but I think Black Sabbath's peak was Sabotage.
    I don't really listen much to Sabbath these days ( although I did some listening revision before going to see them last year) but I always used to think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the most complete album and probably their peak. Which might put me in a smaller minority than @Bucket.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Here's an unfashionable one; 'Love Over Gold' by Dire Straits. Knopfler's writing had developed enormously in just four years since their debut - it had become almost cinematic ('Telegraph Road' and 'Private Investigations' in particular). Bigger arrangements, different keyboard textures and 'that' guitar style and tone (Schecter 'S' types into a MkII Boogies) at its zenith.
    TR & PI were Knopfler's finest creations. Well played, Sir.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Bucket said:

I'm very much in a minority here, but I think Black Sabbath's peak was Sabotage.
    I don't really listen much to Sabbath these days ( although I did some listening revision before going to see them last year) but I always used to think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the most complete album and probably their peak. Which might put me in a smaller minority than @Bucket.
    Well count me in as one of your minority group, cos to me Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is clearly the strongest Black Sabbath album.

Sabbra Caddabra, the title track and Killing Yourself To Live are, to delve into my bag of cliches, worth the admission price alone.

RocknRollDave;187970" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Bucket said:

Well count me in as one of your minority group, cos to me Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is clearly the strongest Black Sabbath album.

Sabbra Caddabra, the title track and Killing Yourself To Live are, to delve into my bag of cliches, worth the admission price alone.
    I'll hire a scout hut in Quinton for our AGM.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    ^^ I've always had a soft spot for Vol.4 but I know what you're both saying. I'd prefer it if the AGM was this side of the Queslett tbh.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• As long as I don't get stuck in traffic that's queuing for Asda at Great Barr, I'm in.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    +1 Telegraph Road.
    Knopfler's greatest song in my opinion.

But overall, I think Making Movies is perhaps a better album - and it contains Tunnel Of Love, which may be his second best song and is where the 'cinematic' theme started.

I'll split the difference and say Alchemy, since it's from the same period and features both (as well as the theme from Local Hero).

I'd nominate a couple of other live albums as capturing bands at their peak too - Genesis 'Seconds Out' (including the live version of Supper's Ready with Phil Collins on vocals which I actually prefer to Gabriel's) and... Deep Purple - Made In Japan.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Both those songs are Epic, but Private Investigations is my fave of the two.

I've been trying to pick a Pink Floyd one, but there are too many to chose from.

@-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Bellycaster;188700" said:
    I've been trying to pick a Pink Floyd one, but there are too many to chose from
    'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'?
  • Bellycaster;188700" said:
    I've been trying to pick a Pink Floyd one, but there are too many to chose from
    'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'?
    Shine On lasts longer than most band's careers.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    ICBM said:
    +1 Telegraph Road.
    Knopfler's greatest song in my opinion.

But overall, I think Making Movies is perhaps a better album - and it contains Tunnel Of Love, which may be his second best song and is where the 'cinematic' theme started.

I'll split the difference and say Alchemy, since it's from the same period and features both (as well as the theme from Local Hero).

I'd nominate a couple of other live albums as capturing bands at their peak too - Genesis 'Seconds Out' (including the live version of Supper's Ready with Phil Collins on vocals which I actually prefer to Gabriel's) and... Deep Purple - Made In Japan.
    "Seconds Out" is one of my all time favorite live albums.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    "Seconds Out" is one of my all time favorite live albums.
    Same here. I was really tempted to buy Steve Hackett's Cornish pedalboard from that tour when it was on Ebay a couple of years back...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction.

Great album, one of my favourites of all time, but nothing they did afterwards came close. Everything else seemed forced and sub-standard.

Also:

The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Lucky Number by Lene Lovich. Although, TBH, I haven't followed her career in great detail, there maybe some hidden gems.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    ^^Arf! Toni Basil in the same way for me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

^^Arf! Toni Basil in the same way for me.
    Mickey is great. If you are going to be remembered for one song that's not a bad one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Did you see Lene Lovich on the 1978 TOTP's reruns?

I have to agree a great quirky songs from both and both were/are wonderfully bonkers.