The time has come...

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
in Amps tFB Trader
... to definitely move on the Marshall JMP.

I don’t think anyone could argue that this amp isn’t unreal. And it looks the dogs bollocks.

But, I played it again today and I found myself trying to go clean with it constantly. The dirty never leaves the signal. I’m not saying that’s a negative, far from it. I believe that since last owning it I’ve simply developed as a player. I miss my old Lonestar and I refuse to compare the two (is that possible?) so the only way I can say it is if I had the cash to buy another amp I’d keep the Marshall.

Sadly, that isn’t the case. The amp sounds great at 0.5 on the volume but it comes alive at 1 (I haven’t had it any louder since I bought it back). I don’t think throwing money at it with regards to pedals, attenuation etc will work for me. Fundamentally it simply doesn’t represent me as a guitarist any more. 

I took the the decision earlier to sell it in search of a new amp. 

Until it leaves, who’s to say what will happen. For now, I’m focusing on picking up a Mesa Lonestar Classic (a newer version with the 10w mode).

But, is there an amp that I’ve overlooked? Ideally my specs are...

Head or Combo
Power reduction mode
6L6 or 6V6
Reverb
FX loop

Ant input would be welcomed although bear in mind my capital is tied up in the Marshall so it’ll have to sell first.

https://i.imgur.com/YDza7gV.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 193
    Aw, I felt a vague pang of disappointment when clicking on "The time has come", that the thread did not continue with "The walrus said...".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I know you've probably decided to sell it anyway, but if it's still dirty when you use the Low input, is it biased correctly? It should be capable of a very nice clean sound - not quite that clear Fender clean, there is always a bit of 'harmonic' stuff going on, but it shouldn't actually be audibly distorted. If there's actual dirt there, it may be biased too cold so you're getting a bit of crossover distortion.

I know what you mean about it just not being 'you' any more though - I'm the same. I love the sound of these amps but I don't think I want to own one any more, it just has no relevance to the sort of music I play now.

If you want a Lone Star, don't compromise - nothing else is really going to be the same. The Classic doesn't even sell for that much now, often less than the Special - the weight seems to keep the value down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    Are you using the low input with the mast volume turned up full or just about? the amp should be pretty clean well up to gigging volume.

Saying that the tone stack has more low mids and high mids compared to a fender, low mids can be more mushy and high mids can be more aggressive and if you are after the lonestar clean then it does not have either of these.
  • Why the restriction on valve type? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    another restrictive criteria is the aesthetic of an amp that will allow for a powder puff pink guitar to be stood against it so you don't look like a Scissor-Sisters tribute...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    I can't imagine why that amp isn't capable of clean unless you have to run it fairly loud (and I mean loud). Gain below 3 and master as loud as needed should sound sweet.
    There in lies part of the issue. The amp is just too loud. I’m not a gigging or recording musician and my ear has warmed to the more American based amp sound.