MIDI bass guitar

are there any good midi bass guitar plugins around?  The ones in logic are ok, but don't do rock or metal very well.  

Free would be nice.   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Do you mean MIDI plug-in instruments that yield bass guitar sounds or a means of converting notes played on a bass guitar into MIDI Note Numbers and Pitch Bend data?

Spectrasonics Trillian is rather good but, sadly, not free.
    Be seeing you.
  • Do you mean MIDI plug-in instruments that yield bass guitar sounds or a means of converting notes played on a bass guitar into MIDI Note Numbers and Pitch Bend data?

Spectrasonics Trillian is rather good but, sadly, not free.
    Yes, midi plug-in instruments that give bass guitar sounds.

Trillian is way too expensive for me, I'm after something basic.   It looks and sounds amazing though.

• I've just been using a free vst called 4 front

http://www.yohng.com/software/bass.html

It's just a stop gap until I buy a bass - I don't see the point in spending money on a plug in when I could buy an instrument instead. It is just a basic bass so you can use whatever amp/cab sims you want to go with it. 

It serves a function in the mix with heavy guitars when you duplicate the track and do the usual metal trick to mix clean and distorted tracks.

I used it for this month's composition challenge and don't want to post a link to my soundcloud version until all the challenges are published. If you want to DM me then I can let you hear a couple of tracks I made using it 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited February 2018
    @bingfeller It ought to be possible to have a Logic EXS bass guitar preset respond to MIDI note messages then, route the sound through an audio track with a Logic bass amp model inserted. An alternative way to roughen up the EXS bass guitar would be via the Pedalboard insert FX. Compression, EQ, distortion, octaver and ring modulation are all available. 
    Be seeing you.
  • @bingfeller It ought to be possible to have a Logic EXS bass guitar preset respond to MIDI note messages then, route the sound through an audio track with a Logic bass amp model inserted. An alternative way to roughen up the EXS bass guitar would be via the Pedalboard insert FX. Compression, EQ, distortion, octaver and ring modulation are all available. 
    Good idea!!  I'll try that.  

• I've just been using a free vst called 4 front

http://www.yohng.com/software/bass.html

It's just a stop gap until I buy a bass - I don't see the point in spending money on a plug in when I could buy an instrument instead. It is just a basic bass so you can use whatever amp/cab sims you want to go with it. 

It serves a function in the mix with heavy guitars when you duplicate the track and do the usual metal trick to mix clean and distorted tracks.

I used it for this month's composition challenge and don't want to post a link to my soundcloud version until all the challenges are published. If you want to DM me then I can let you hear a couple of tracks I made using it 
    Looks perfect, I'll try this.