Zoom MS70CDR

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
These getting on a bit now but what's the consensus? 

The update with the extra effects is awesome, but what are the sounds like? Is it picky about power? Does it sound good with massive fuzz run into its front end? 

From what i can gather most people hate the UI but I wouldn't be using it live. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• In my opinion they're an incredible value.

Just tried a muff into the front, no audible difference with the zoom bypassed as opposed to the muff straight in to the amp
    You can get the muff models included to sound pretty close. 
    The centa gold (klon) model is really impressive.

The amp modelling is absolutely fine if you use an ir instead of the built in speaker sims. Or with the sims off into an effects return.

I always use through an amp miked up

Most of the reverbs sound totally convincing. The delays are excellent.

The modulations are great, although the vibe is a bit weak imo.

The UI is ok. For live use you can use a line selector model in the zoom which turns all effects off after a certain point. So you can dial in a rhythm sound and then just hit the zoom for boost delay etc. 
    You can also scroll through a set number of patches.

Admittedly this is a weak point.

But you can use midi with a midi host (hobbytronics midi host is what I use, its £40) where you can change patches.

Power wise, it claims it needs 500ma but runs fine from a gigrig isolator which I think pumps out about 150ma (correct me if I'm wrong). It can run on USB but is noisy as hell if connected to my pc. Seems to like being isolated, although it will run daisy chained.

Reliability wise, it seems like its built like a tank, the body's all metal, the screen's protected by hard plastic.

All in all, I suppose it depends what your expectations are. If you're a professional rocking a dual amp setup or wet dry wet rig, I'm sure the strymons/Eventides are going to sound amazing. If you're at home I think it gets you 75% of the way there for absolute pennies and I'm not sure I would ever tell the difference.

It lets you try different combinations of effects without laying out £1000s

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I still like mine. I think it sounds absolutely fine and the range of sounds is great - the firmware update has added some extra effects but I don't think the CD70CDR has amp sims, even with the update. What the update to the MS50G has done is made a lot of the effects that were exclusive to the 70CDR available on the MS50G which DOES have the amps sims. There is also the MS100BT which can load any of the effects too.

I own the 70CDR and 100BT (also had the MS50G at one point, so yeah, I like 'em!). The 70CDR is much less fussy with power than the 100BT but all of them need to be isolated to avoid noise. The 70CDR would run from an output off a Gigrig isolator but the 100BT won't - that one needs the GigRig Timelord adapter which delivers more current. Or of course, a dedicated power supply (or even batteries)

As for the interface, it really depends how you want to use it. I always used it as a one effect at a time pedal (plus reverb) so, I had one patch which had a reverb at the end (always on) and then in the same patch, I had a delay, a chorus and a phaser. At the start of each song, I just made sure the effect I wanted was selected and then turned it on or off on the pedal. Worked fine for me. Of course, you can set up multiple effects to turn on or off by using the line selector function or alternatively, put it in a true bypass looper and activate it from that.

The great thing about them is you can stack multiple versions of the same effect. So you could run a number of delays at the same time for example. I've just picked up an Empress EchoSystem which has the ability to run two delays into each other but the price difference and footprint size is massive compared to the Zooms.

Another example of the ability of the Zoom is EQ. Many praise the Source Audio Programmable EQ as you can programme 4 presets. The Zoom can run up to 6 EQ pedals per patch (Graphic OR Parametric) and store 50 patches, giving you 300 possible EQ presets! 

Honestly , for the money you can pick them up for, you'd be mad NOT to get one. One of the best value pedals going in my book.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Could I use one of these straight from a synth into a mixer, negating the need for an interface? My mixer does not have hi impedance output.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    gusman2x said:
    Could I use one of these straight from a synth into a mixer, negating the need for an interface? My mixer does not have hi impedance output.
    I haven't used it with a keyboard but it does apparently work with passive and active pickups as well as line level signals (eg keyboard) so should work fine. It can output at line level too so would go straight into a mixer. Both the MS100BT and 70CDR have stereo ins and outs too.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/multistomp/zoom-ms-70cdr-multistomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Beexter said:
    gusman2x said:
    I haven't used it with a keyboard but it does apparently work with passive and active pickups as well as line level signals (eg keyboard) so should work fine. It can output at line level too so would go straight into a mixer. Both the MS100BT and 70CDR have stereo ins and outs too.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/multistomp/zoom-ms-70cdr-multistomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal

Sweet, thanks @Beexter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited February 2018
    Great and useful pedal and incredible value for money, new or used. Even if you only found one effect you liked and used the tuner as well, it would be worth it.

The free firmware update offers up some good things from the MS-50 like Auto/Touch Wahs but as Chorus, Delay & Reverb go, it punches above its weight and being a bit of a Swiss Army Knife pedal, it's handy when you need an occasional effect but don't fancy forking out on a pedal version of it.

As Gassage mentioned recently, I believe Steve Mac, the 'Gilmour' in the Australian Pink Floyd, is using one or two of these for his sounds. I think that's got to count for something!
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Best bargain pedal I have ever bought is my MS100bt. Takes up only one slot on my pedal board, and yet gives hundreds of options. Even if you just use it to try out all the real pedals it simulates to decide what actual pedal you might want to buy in the future, it is worth it. But actually it is good enough to use in it's own right. 

User interface is fiddly, but if you setup and save your favorite 3 or 4 presets at your leisure at home, you can cycle between them with the footswitch live, which works well. 
  • Kebabkid said:

As Gassage mentioned recently, I believe Steve Mac, the 'Gilmour' in the Australian Pink Floyd, is using one or two of these for his sounds. I think that's got to count for something!

The day I try and emulate Pink Floyd is the day that I sell my pedals and smash my guitars. Our parents fought in the punk wars so we didn't need to listen to that twaddle ;)

Seriously though folks thanks for the info. I'll probably pick one up: they're just not very...exciting I guess. Hmm.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love mine. Great pedal