Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Decision Made! Pictures below. Previously: Help me choose a “strat” (conditions apply)

What's Hot

Comments

• +1 on the G&L trem being fantastic, and the Legacy generally being a great modern-but-not-pointy Strat.

But also @Neil is spot on. You need to make some decisions - frets, neck size, fretboard material, fretboard radius, 6- or 2-point trem at the very least. 

It may be that you don't care, or don't know, in which case your best bet is to get yourself to a shop and try a bunch of stuff. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    First decide what type of neck suits you and go from there.

Radius? Fret size? Maple or rosewood?

There are a bewildering amount of Strats available so if you can break it down a bit you will have a better idea of what to go looking for.
    Medium jumbo or jumbo frets. Maple, ebony, or rosewood I’m happy with either feel, it doesn’t effect tone too much (take cover). A thin U or C shape neck I’ve found comfortable. The 9.5” radius on my tele i have always found suitable, but my ltd has a 13.7” and I’ve adapted to that just fine.
    Hope that helps

• I hear a lot of good things about the Classic Player 60s. Comes in the best Strat colour — Sonic Blue — 2-point trem, modern radius, amazing CS69 pickups, and well under a grand. I would have bought one already but I made my own lightweight copy instead. 
    You got any pics of your copy, like to see what you made and is it difficult to build?

• +1 on the G&L trem being fantastic, and the Legacy generally being a great modern-but-not-pointy Strat.

But also @Neil is spot on. You need to make some decisions - frets, neck size, fretboard material, fretboard radius, 6- or 2-point trem at the very least. 

It may be that you don't care, or don't know, in which case your best bet is to get yourself to a shop and try a bunch of stuff. 
    G&L get a lot of love and at half the price of a fender they seem a steal. I played one for a gig a year or 2 back, as a loan and it done the job nicely.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited February 2018
    MIM Fender Robert Cray (Hardtail)

Great neck and radius.
    Resonant
    Strong Strat sounds in all positions and great pickups
    Really positive feel from the hardtail
    Supposedly, according to forums and reviews, it's one of the best Strats you can buy (I have one and based on what I've played, I'd tend to agree).
    Used, they come in @£400-450. New, they're double that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Kebabkid said:
    MIM Fender Robert Cray (Hardtail)

Great neck and radius.
    Resonant
    Strong Strat sounds in all positions and great pickups
    Really positive feel from the hardtail
    Supposedly, according to forums and reviews, it's one of the best Strats you can buy (I have one and based on what I've played, I'd tend to agree).
    Used, they come in @£400-450. New, they're double that.

That’s pretty much everything I want, going to find one to play. I have to get over the “no signature models” train of thought I posess. Good shout
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    At that price I'd look used AVRI.

If you want 9.5" radius and bigger frets, it gets more awkward as most of them have the 2 point trem unless you can afford Custom Shop.  The new American Original series fixes that but it will be hard to find one second hand at the moment.  Although there will always be the odd one who is forced to sell because he brings it home and the wife goes spare.
  • crunchman said:
    At that price I'd look used AVRI.

If you want 9.5" radius and bigger frets, it gets more awkward as most of them have the 2 point trem unless you can afford Custom Shop.  The new American Original series fixes that but it will be hard to find one second hand at the moment.  Although there will always be the odd one who is forced to sell because he brings it home and the wife goes spare.
    Haha, luckily my missus is not my wife for another 58 days yet, so I’m having one last splurge. Anyway she got a tattoo, so I can get a guitar, that’s about equivalent, right?
    I can’t afford custom shop, so i’ll Adjust my expectations
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Another plus one for the Highway 1 series.

If you can find one you like they are fantastic value for money.

• SNAKEBITE said:

Another plus one for the Highway 1 series.

If you can find one you like they are fantastic value for money.

Just found one, is that a good price for it used?
    https://symphonymusicstore.co.uk/index.php?id_product=2855&controller=product&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ1dsWHJ0KX06K-Rkbv3h4-Jij_NfzlEVDeHjMAlWhK2paW4GTGnJU0aAr_xEALw_wcB
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    If you're into 60's necks and rosewood I'd strongly recommend a Fender 62 AVRI Strat. I have an early 90's one and after a set up and a refret it's one of the best playing guitars I've owned. I think I paid about £700 for mine with shit up frets so I'd say anything under £900 is reasonable for one in good nick. Mine gave my custom shop a run for it's money and I ended up keeping it out of the two
    If you can find an avri62 for under a grand, ill bite your arm off
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I'm not very knowledgeable on all the different types, but I have no complaints with my 60's classic player. Now I'm sure you can get a much higher spec with what funds you have available, but then depends really on how much higher spec you want...
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Www - I have a tokai bass and it’s great, never played the 50, is it common to find?
    Personally I'd go to Richard's Guitars but there are other sellers around. Where are you based?
  • perhaps this understated beauty would do the job?

hand made by eric smid in the Netherlands  its a cracker
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt.drink73matt.drink73 Frets: 153
    edited February 2018
    chris78 said:
    If you're into 60's necks and rosewood I'd strongly recommend a Fender 62 AVRI Strat. I have an early 90's one and after a set up and a refret it's one of the best playing guitars I've owned. I think I paid about £700 for mine with shit up frets so I'd say anything under £900 is reasonable for one in good nick. Mine gave my custom shop a run for it's money and I ended up keeping it out of the two
    If you can find an avri62 for under a grand, ill bite your arm off
    All the ones up at the moment are optimistically priced to say the least. There's a couple of bedroom 'dealers' asking around £1300 which inflates all the prices as everyone sees that as what they should charge for theirs, £900-1000 is fairly realistic for someone looking for an actual sale. Here's a nice looking 57 in Glasgow for £850

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guitarexchange/permalink/1643388382407456/?sale_post_id=1643388382407456
  • American strat for less than £500? I love the white with tortoise shell. I may have to hit him up, I’m going that way soon 

• www said:
    Www - I have a tokai bass and it’s great, never played the 50, is it common to find?
    Personally I'd go to Richard's Guitars but there are other sellers around. Where are you based?
    Suffolk. So middle of nowhere but short trips to London, Norwich, etc

• perhaps this understated beauty would do the job?

hand made by eric smid in the Netherlands  its a cracker
    How can I find more info? All I see is his website where it says custom shop, which usually means not cheap
  • American strat for less than £500? I love the white with tortoise shell. I may have to hit him up, I’m going that way soon 
    Yep, beautiful thing. If I had the cash I'd be all over it. 

I am also a fan of the highway 1 guitars, and the American Specials which is basically an updated H1. You can find them for around £500 as well. 

Basically with either that US Standard I linked or a H1/Special I think you're getting a lot of guitar for the money.