Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarist Mag: Living in the past

What's Hot

Comments

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Is Razzle still going ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Having actually just read a large chunk of the issue in question, I have to agree with @impmann - features like the *yawn* Burst job are pretty much just a pile of fawning wank.
    Aren’t Fawning Wank playing at the Dog and Spanner in Bristol this weekend?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Having actually just read a large chunk of the issue in question, I have to agree with @impmann - features like the *yawn* Burst job are pretty much just a pile of fawning wank.

Indeed they are.

You'll recognise them easily by their "Bluesman" attire, living the American dream in Clifton:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you get those shoes in 'roadworn'? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can you get those shoes in 'roadworn'? 

Yeah, authentic, too - the manufacturers get a 100% genuine tramp to wear them for 6 months.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I quite like the shoes, any idea where they’re from?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone should invent a new Guitar magazine in a sort of bookish format, high quality production and maybe cut down the frequency to 4 times a year. Or less. Bound to be a success...

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    www.fawningwankbluesmanapparel.co.uk

Or something like that.

Actually, I don’t know, sorry. :(

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I read last edition from cover to cover last night. What else is Valentines day for? There were a couple of grammatical errors in the Fender amp review that made my inner pedant cringe. The Bernie Marsden column was ridiculous - 2 pages moaning about the traffic in Tokyo. The Nev Marten column was the best piece in the whole mag. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There was thankfully little Dave Burrluck - maybe he had a small acoustic set to prepare for and needed the month off to build a guitar from hand-selected Bristolian churchyard yew. 
  • impmann said:

Indeed they are.

You'll recognise them easily by their "Bluesman" attire, living the American dream in Clifton:

A fella used to come to a local jam night dressed like this and he took himself deadly seriously. He'd regularly criticise those who played a bum note and regarded Joe Bonamassa as the King of blues. 

What a cunt.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

Indeed they are.

A fella used to come to a local jam night dressed like this and he took himself deadly seriously. He'd regularly criticise those who played a bum note and regarded Joe Bonamassa as the King of blues. 

What a cunt.
    If only I could award a LOL and a Wiz.,,

They look like Alden Indy's which would  be equivalent to something like a custom shop telecaster re-issue. Try Kafka online.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    TTony said:
    Neill said:
    I honestly think the quality of print journalism has gone downhill across the board in the last twenty years.
    In a strange coincidence, earlier today I went back through the BBC archives to read a (football) match review from 2010.

It was far better written than today's equivalent.  Today's is simpler, more repetitive linguistically, less textured and more sound-bytey as if they assume that today's reader can't read a sentence longer than 6 words, with no word having more than 2 syllables.

Which may well be right.
    Wisdom.

In a generation that now often writes in textspeak the quality of writing in all sorts of stuff is quite frankly abysmal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    TTony said:
    Neill said:
    I honestly think the quality of print journalism has gone downhill across the board in the last twenty years.
    In a strange coincidence, earlier today I went back through the BBC archives to read a (football) match review from 2010.

It was far better written than today's equivalent.  Today's is simpler, more repetitive linguistically, less textured and more sound-bytey as if they assume that today's reader can't read a sentence longer than 6 words, with no word having more than 2 syllables.

Which may well be right.
    Wisdom.

In a generation that now often writes in textspeak the quality of writing in all sorts of stuff is quite frankly abysmal.

YU WOT M8?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28153
    If only I could award a LOL and a Wiz.,,
    I added the LOL for you. GO TEAM!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I wish Guitar for the Practicing Musician was still going, that was excellent. Loads of transcriptions and properly good tuition columns.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I first bought Guitarist back in (guessing) 1985, if not 86 - one of the early issues.

Then it had loads of adverts and interesting reviews/interviews and was the only source of info really.

Now there are forums like this, which give more information and the internet for prices/news.

I find Guitar (ex Guitar and Bass), just about right for me - I'm a middle aged guy, but I don't like being reminded of it every page - there's some stuff I don't like, but much that I do and some which surprises me.

Guitarist I'm really sad about, I used to subscribe and then stopped completely for a couple of years. Now I've bought the odd issue and at that level (airport browsing), it's ok. But for me buy 2-3 issues in a row and you see the repetition.

It's also very expensive.

What I've just done, which I'm happy with is the digital subscription - it costs me £6.95 a quarter, so basically a third of the price - I can read it just as easily on my iPad and I don't have the clutter, or disappointment of shelling out 6 quid or whatever it is only to take it out of a plastic bag and be done in 5 minutes.

For my taste, I have a similar feeling with That Pedal Show - I used to devour that, loved it, watched it 12:00:01 every Friday. Now it's like they've said almost all I want to hear. Mick especially really reveals his Guitarist training, that's nothing personal against him - but I do feel the magazine is too safe, too in bed with certain brands etc. They should strive to be excellent, not average.

At the moment, the whole magazine feels like the cool guy in the leather jacket working in Denmark Street in the early-mid 90's.

Cool in their own mind because of association and the industry they work in, but reality - just not.

The current burst issue is a case in point, that was just a disappointment. Whitesnake was my first 'proper' band, in the Bernie days - but really was he the best they could do?

Why not have an indepth interview with a collector, or even Bonamassa (they have his number for sure), get him in detail to explain about his Bursts, the ones he's sold, the ones he's passed on, what he's learned about the history etc.?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    JUST STOP DOING SHIT ABOUT FUCKING SUNBURST LES PAULS FROM THE LATE 1950S AND DULLARDS WHO DRIBBLE ON ABOUT THEM BEING 'THE BEST'.

Clear?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom