Akiraaaa!

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7601
edited February 14 in Guitar
I've loved this guy for years - his playing on Japanese hair metal legends Loudness's albums is absolutely peerless, some of the best you'll find on any 80s rock albums. I knew he used to use Marshalls and some kind of rack gear too IIRC, but hadn't been paying that much attention, and then all of a sudden up he pops on Friedman's website playing a Brown Eye!

It sounds fantastic for his playing - absolutely nails every last nuance of the sound I recognise from those old albums. The fatness is there but the top end sizzle is present and correct too - really brings out his squealy pinch harmonic-laden single-note playing. 



Glad to see he's still rocking and sounding better than ever. He's basically Japan's equivalent of EVH - big big name over there as far as I'm aware, but quite under the radar in the west and deserves to be better known, because he's a monster of a player.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • BGGBGG Frets: 385
    Ahh man those riffs bring back some great memories, used to love Loudness in the 80's !!
    www.groovetrain.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7601
    BGG said:
    Ahh man those riffs bring back some great memories, used to love Loudness in the 80's !!
    Just bunged "Thunder In The East" into the car, should I feel like rocking out on the M25 at some stage.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 103
    I had a few drinks with the late Loudness drummer when I lived in Osaka. I had no idea who he was at first and got me a few drinks in even though I was being a lairy twat.  Had a listen to their music but not my thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4362
    Any love for Kyoji Yamamoto and Bow Wow, @Bucket? ; I really liked them in the '80s, more so than Loudness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7601
    edited February 15
    Philly_Q said:
    Any love for Kyoji Yamamoto and Bow Wow, @Bucket? ;; I really liked them in the '80s, more so than Loudness.
    I've not listened to them. I do love a bit of Japanese rock though, so what should I check out of theirs?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4362
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Any love for Kyoji Yamamoto and Bow Wow, @Bucket? ;; I really liked them in the '80s, more so than Loudness.
    I've not listened to them. I do love a bit of Japanese rock though, so what should I check out of theirs?
    Gosh, it's a long time ago, I don't know what they've done more recently, but.... he had a solo album called Electric Cinema.  The Bow Wow albums I remember are Asian Volcano and Warning From Stardust.

    They temporarily changed their name to Vow Wow in the mid '80s and Neil Murray from Whitesnake was in the band for a while.  The album I remember there was (don't laugh) Beat Of Metal Motion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 12387
    I was just about to click on the video when I saw your timely warning about the squealy pinch harmonic laden stuff.
    Phew! That was a close one.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BGGBGG Frets: 385
    Bucket said:
    BGG said:
    Ahh man those riffs bring back some great memories, used to love Loudness in the 80's !!
    Just bunged "Thunder In The East" into the car, should I feel like rocking out on the M25 at some stage.
    I've just stuck Live Loud Live - Loudness In Tokyo in mine :)
    www.groovetrain.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I've got a Vow Wow live vinyl album, bought with my first week's wages after seeing them on The Tube in the 80s. Great record... Beat of Metal Motion is a great song, along with Shot In The Dark and Hurricane.
    “Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?' 'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh after careful thought. Piglet was comforted by this.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 3467
    I like the Rock -out riffing but that dreadful tapping thing sounds like a first generation kids computer game on speed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • When I was a teenager I had a mate called Pete who played keyboards in a band called Atlantic Conveyor and their guitarist was a chap called Rupert. Now Rupert lived in a big house ( well, I guess his parent’s house) and the band use to rehearse there in a spare bedroom. There was a collection of hangers on ( obviously including me) who would gather downstairs, play albums, drink tea then go to the pub with the band later. 
    Anyway, one of the Loudness albums was the most played , people got very excited about it ( can’t remember which one unfortunately). Later on I bought a couple myself. 
    So, for a trip down memory lane I shall watch that YouTube clip smile 

    Philly_Q said:
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Any love for Kyoji Yamamoto and Bow Wow, @Bucket? ;; I really liked them in the '80s, more so than Loudness.
    I've not listened to them. I do love a bit of Japanese rock though, so what should I check out of theirs?
    Gosh, it's a long time ago, I don't know what they've done more recently, but.... he had a solo album called Electric Cinema.  The Bow Wow albums I remember are Asian Volcano and Warning From Stardust.

    They temporarily changed their name to Vow Wow in the mid '80s and Neil Murray from Whitesnake was in the band for a while.  The album I remember there was (don't laugh) Beat Of Metal Motion.
    Vow Wow I saw at a record signing in Tower Records in London. I hadn't gone in for them but they were there. What I remember is Neil Murray being approximately three times as tall as the rest of the band. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1642
    I came here looking for a crazy ESP Custom ace with a graphic of Kaneda or Tetsuo on it ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DrBob said:
    I came here looking for a crazy ESP Custom ace with a graphic of Kaneda or Tetsuo on it ! 

    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1642
    DrBob said:
    I came here looking for a crazy ESP Custom ace with a graphic of Kaneda or Tetsuo on it ! 

    Now that’s more like it !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • westwest Frets: 277
    When I was a teenager I had a mate called Pete who played keyboards in a band called Atlantic Conveyor and their guitarist was a chap called Rupert. Now Rupert lived in a big house ( well, I guess his parent’s house) and the band use to rehearse there in a spare bedroom.


    there aint many guitar players called rupert in west mids im sure i used to know him , small world  !!


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 785
    Ahh Loudness :)

    Akira Takasaki, my first Japanese guitarist love, followed by hide from X Japan :)

    Paul Gilbert and Akria did a bunch of stuff together that's pretty cool :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.