Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Nick Drake recommended listening?

What's Hot

Comments

• KKJale said:
    Don't forget to get yourself a bit of Bert Jansch, too.

That's awesome! Reminds me of a cross between Drake and Dylan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    I could listen to Nick Drake or John Martyn any time. If you like those try Syd Barrett madcap laughs or self titled album - Barrett.

I prefer the latter.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    More blues maybe but check out Jackson C Frank, I really like his music, another musician with a very sad life story

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanon said:
    I could listen to Nick Drake or John Martyn any time. If you like those try Syd Barrett madcap laughs or self titled album - Barrett.

I prefer the latter.

Aside from being white, guitar playing men I don't really see them as very similar.

Barrett's solo stuff is strange- dude was clearly teetering right on the knife edge of "extremely idiosyncratic artist" versus "actual insane person" :cry:  

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    notanon said:

I prefer the latter.

Aside from being white, guitar playing men I don't really see them as very similar.

Barrett's solo stuff is strange- dude was clearly teetering right on the knife edge of "extremely idiosyncratic artist" versus "actual insane person" :cry:  
    Yep that is why i like it :-)

"Please beware of them that stare
    They'll only smile to see you while
    Your time away . .  ." 

I find those lyrics strange that's why I like them.

Martyn and Drake have unusual styles. I'd say Barrett falls into that class.

Just curious what OP thinks.
  • notanon said:
    notanon said:

I prefer the latter.

Yep that is why i like it :-)

"Please beware of them that stare
    They'll only smile to see you while
    Your time away . .  ." 

I find those lyrics strange that's why I like them.

Martyn and Drake have unusual styles. I'd say Barrett falls into that class.

Just curious what OP thinks.
    I love Barrett, I can’t see many musical parallels but I can certainly see the similarities with Drake in his approach. Both have that almost surreal weird vibe to the them, interesting to see how two people write about depression and mental issues in different ways
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited February 2018
    'River Man' sends shivers every time...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Domino have just reiussed the Bright Phoebus album by Lal and Mike Waterson which was unavailable for many years. It's a bit more varied in style than Pink Moon, but the bulk of it is just vocal and acoustic guitar, and the songs have something of the same very dark, mysterious, English quality to them. Listen to 'Fine Horseman' or 'Never The Same' for example.
  • Stuckfast said:
    Domino have just reiussed the Bright Phoebus album by Lal and Mike Waterson which was unavailable for many years. It's a bit more varied in style than Pink Moon, but the bulk of it is just vocal and acoustic guitar, and the songs have something of the same very dark, mysterious, English quality to them. Listen to 'Fine Horseman' or 'Never The Same' for example.
    I was going to suggest that. Great record - very deep, ancient vibe to this. Also a real contrast between the more upbeat circus-like MW tunes, and Lal's rural psychedelic folk. Lal's Child Among The Weeds, To Make You Stay and Winifer Odd are real stand outs for me. 
  • https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W852T90/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_M5PJAbYVGM763

Check out this compilation - Dust on The Nettles on Grapefruit for a great overview
  • I found this a fairly thoughtful Biography of Nick.

https://www.amazon.com/Darker-Than-Deepest-Sea-Search/dp/0306815206

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• Mark Kozelek's solo acoustic stuff puts me in mind of Nick Drake a little.  Very heavy on the covers/reinterpretations front, but so so good when he's on.  I'd start with his AC/DC covers album (What's Next To The Moon) and see what you think.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark Kozelek's solo acoustic stuff puts me in mind of Nick Drake a little.  Very heavy on the covers/reinterpretations front, but so so good when he's on.  I'd start with his AC/DC covers album (What's Next To The Moon) and see what you think.
       Have a wis @DarnWeight , completely forgot about that great album, this track in particular has always reminded me of Nick Drake.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• Stuckfast said:
    -I picked that up recently.

Not the most straightforward listen but its worth it. 
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    NIck Drake - Family Tree, Made to love magic, Peel Session, A treasury. Most ND is essential, but PM is my personal favourite. Enjoy. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I used to have a bootleg of Nick Drake's home recordings from before he made Five Leaves Left. It was strange because there was almost no sign in those recordings of what he would later become. With one or two exceptions they were really generic and uninteresting folk/blues covers such as you'd hear in any folk club and ignore. I wonder what happened that suddenly brought out a distinctive musical personality after that.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    eSully said:
    More blues maybe but check out Jackson C Frank, I really like his music, another musician with a very sad life story

Yep, love me some Jackson C Frank and also Dave van Ronk, who's got a gruffer, bluesier voice than Frank or Drake. 
  • Check out Scott Matthews, bits of Nick Drake & Jeff Buckley