Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why would anyone buy a 'famous player endorsed model' guitar?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
Before someone says 'Les Paul', the Gibson Les Paul is so long on the market as to be considered a type of electric guitar in its own right. I cannot understand why a player will go into a shop and buy a Strat that has been factory modded to be similar to some well known players battered old Strat. I can understand someone building or modifying a guitar in homage to a great player, Keith Richards famous Tele comes to mind. So enlighten me: why did you buy your <famous player> endorsed guitar as opposed to the standard model which was on the rack beside it?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• People like the specs on the certain signature model?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I've bought guitars because a famous player has used that type of guitar, but never wanted my instrument to look like theirs, or believed that if I had the same setup it would sound like theirs. In fact I've avoided buying a Red Special simply because if I had one I'd be expected to play like Brian May, and despite wishing I could, I can't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a Brent Hinds Flying V because they look cool and have really good specs 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Before someone says 'Les Paul', the Gibson Les Paul is so long on the market as to be considered a type of electric guitar in its own right. I cannot understand why a player will go into a shop and buy a Strat that has been factory modded to be similar to some well known players battered old Strat. I can understand someone building or modifying a guitar in homage to a great player, Keith Richards famous Tele comes to mind. So enlighten me: why did you buy your <famous player> endorsed guitar as opposed to the standard model which was on the rack beside it?
    Because it looked really cool. I liked the colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Rocker said:
    So enlighten me: why did you buy your <famous player> endorsed guitar as opposed to the standard model which was on the rack beside it?
    There wasn't a standard model.

I had (and loved) an Ibanez MMM1. I wasn't much of a Staind fan (they were a passable pop band I s'pose), but the guitar was excellent; 27" scale, neck-thru, no inlays, massive string-through bridge and built from the ground up as a baritone.

If a guitar has the features you want, who cares how it came about?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    There has been loads of good signature models....Musicman Albert Lee, Tweedy SG, Troy Van Luween Jazzmaster, Eric Johnson Strats, Kirk Douglas SG. 

Could just be a nice colour or a spec tweak, but there are loads of valid reasons to consider an artist endorsed model. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    edited February 2018
    I've got an Ancho Poblano strat because I've admired Ancho's playing for a long time. I just really wanted to sound like him/her. I've also got a @WezV Earth 2 '52 because David Attenborough is such an amazing guitarist.   ;)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Because the PRS DGT is one of the best sounding and flexible instruments in the whole range despite (or perhaps because of) its endorsee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited February 2018
    There are a few, which only exist as a particular guitarist's model. I bought a Gibson Johnny A Signature Guitar quite a few years ago. It only exists as as Johnny A model.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    A signature model is just a guitar that was designed by a player, rather than the person who works in Fender's design department or whatever.

All guitars are signatures in that respect. Just pick the designer who appeals to you the most, no fanboyism required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I bought a John Mayer Strat because it probably means Jennifer Anniston and/or Katy Perry will be along at any moment to rip my pants off*. Possibly both at the same time. Am still waiting, but seemed worth a punt at the time....

*and also because of all the strats I have played it is one my favourites. And I like the Big dipper pickups. And I like a lot of his stuff.

And it has a really cool gig bag.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    ‘Signature’ models are usually higher spec than factory standard. There’s all sorts of Fender Signature Strats or Teles I’d happily play and own without necessarily being a fan of whoever it is. (Actually, I haven’t even heard of about a quarter of Fender’s signature artists.)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    merlin said:
    I've also got a @WezV Earth 2 '52 because David Attenborough is such an amazing guitarist.   ;)
    Oh, we so badly need to see a video of The Maestro wigging out on a metal tune!  (I'm sure it could be arranged...)
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I'd happily buy a Musicman St. Vincent model, even though I'm not an enormous fan.

I like her stuff just fine, it's not a diss, but she's not a musician who is important to me. But, I think her signature guitar is cool. Similar with the Musicman Valentine (and I like Maroon 5 a LOT less than St. Vincent).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    I think certain models like the Brian May, Ibanez Jem and JS models are fairly stereotype - If you walked in to a bar and the band was about to start - You noticed the guitar player with either of these and you'd have a pretty good guess what was about to come next - agree an overview

Not the case with say a PRS DGT - Joe Bo 335 - Clapton/Mayer Strat - granted they have an artist name but can appeal to any/many players who just like the spec of this particular guitar
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why would anyone be bothered about someone else buying a signature guitar ? 

For me me I love Alex Lifeson. I have a Howed Roberts like he used in the early 80s and it just reminds me of that time in my life.  Same as listening to Exit Stage Left does. 

I think thats no bad thing. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've never fancied an endorsed or celebrity model guitar, but I would like to have a try on one of the Billy Sheehan basses to see if they do bend...

• I bought a Paul Gilbert Fireman as there is no " "standard" version. It's an awesome & unique guitar. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Artist models have no appeal for me whatsoever. So it's a bit strange that I currently own an MM Albert Lee and a Ric 4001 modelled on PM's Ric. The artist endorsement had no influence on my choice, rather that they're both very highly regarded instruments (rightly so, I've discovered).
  • I went into the bass shop with £1500 in my pocket and walked out with a Mike Dirnt Precision and £1000 change because it was the nicest sounding, best feeling instrument in there. And I had to look up who he was afterwards. Does that answer your question? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom