SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Electric 12 string

What's Hot
Spring is on it's way and I seem to be having some sort of goth /psychedelia moment.

So, looking for an electric 12 string - something inexpensive, so probably danelectro. Apparently the Korean ones are a bit nicer? Other suggestions are welcome though. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I had a Ricky 360/12 a while back which was beautiful but never really got the use to justify itself, but I've long missed it, and recently have had 'a  borra' of one of the Italia Rimini 12s and been really impressed. Some of them look a little plastic, but sound wise this one at least is excellent - it doesn't sound exactly like a Ricky, but a lot closer since I switched the strings around, but it definitely feels a lot more solid than the Dano one I had a while back ever did (and I really like Danos). Well worth checking out - this one cost the fella £200 off Gumtree, though I haven't seen any below £250 meself s/h.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I had a Yamaha Pacifica 12 for a bit and it was pretty good. Nice quality and playability. I guess like quite a few people, nice to have but didn't really get played so off it went. Recommend the Yam though if you can find one to try.
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Yeah, the Rics are lovely things but a bit of a spend at this point. Those, or maybe a vintage burns/Baldwin double six (pop up very occasionally on ebay for surprisingly little) would be the luxury option if the cheap one works out.

I'll keep an eye out for these suggestions then. They look like good dano alternatives, if not a tiny bit too glitzy (italia) and a bit too sensible (Yamaha).

Or, getting slightly carried away, I've just noticed warmoth do a fender xii style neck... One of those on a jazzmaster body might be interesting...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited March 2014
    I find Rickie 12 neck spacing a bit small, tbh and struggle to fret accurately. Also stringing them is a PITA, much worse than most electric 12s. Of course they make up for it with 'that' sound...
    I've owned a lot of electric 12 strings - I blame it on Johnny Marr - and the one I keep coming back to is the Shergold. I find the neck spacing perfect and I love their sound. I really wish I hadn't sold my last one to a chap on here - and I hope he gives me first refusal on it if it ever comes back up for sale.
    As mentioned - the Burns Double Six reissue is a great guitar too. Good neck spacing and fantastic tones. Not expensive either.
    Good luck!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited March 2014
    Do you 12ers tune to Eb or D - I found the octave G a bugger to tune and not break ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Jalapeno said:
    Do you 12ers tune to Eb or D - I found the octave G a bugger to tune and not break ?
    That's a good point, I always tune to D for that very reason - nobody wants to restring a Ricky too often if then can help it..

@Impmann - That Mr Marr had a lot to answer for here too :)

• albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    Likewise, if it wasn't for Mr Marr I'd probably still be hammering away on an A barre chord. Not that I've moved so very far past that. Anyway thanks for reminding me about the shergolds @Impmann, been meaning to try one for a while. Have only heard good things about them.
    Jalapeno said:
    I thought it was only the high B and E that had the extra octave?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Er ... the top 2 have unison strings, the rest have octaves.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited March 2014
    DOH!   Now I actually bother to think about it you are of course absolutely right. Maybe that's why I couldn't be arsed with it and sold it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I always have my 12s in standard tuning. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the octave G snapping except on my old Hondo Fame electric 12.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I had an Italia Rimini 12, great guitar, tuned standard with no problems.
    Just to throw another 'such-and-such is a good guitar' into the mix, I'd look at the Dearmond S73-12 as well. I used to have one,and apart from the SG stylings, it was a cracking 12-string. Really  nice pickups that compliment the 12-strings and create a gorgeous crystalline sound but capable of doing a very nice overdriven sound also. Beautifully made with a sensiblt wide fretboard!
    They are a bit scarce but are worth checking if you see one.
  • dogload;187487" said:
    I always have my 12s in standard tuning. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the octave G snapping except on my old Hondo Fame electric 12.
    Other than the string breaks, how was the Hondo 12? There has been one hanging in the local crack Converters for ages. I was given a 6 string version of it last year and with a few mods isn't too bad.
    dogload;187487" said:
    Other than the string breaks, how was the Hondo 12? There has been one hanging in the local crack Converters for ages. I was given a 6 string version of it last year and with a few mods isn't too bad.
    It was hard work. I ended up just taking it to bits and still have them all in a carrier bag. I hated it but at the time it was all there was in electric 12-strings at anything like an affordable price. Sounded OK but once I got my Fender XII it became unloved and unwanted.
    I would recommend you try it and then forget it!
  • Probably best left on the wall by the sound of it.

Carry on...
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1436
    +1 on the Yamaha 12 - I'm not selling mine, but they're superb.  The only downside was the stock pickups which are a little bright and hard sounding, I replaced mine with lipsticks.  :-)
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited March 2014
    I've been looking into 12 strings myself. I quite like the look and sound of the Eastwood models but never tried one myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZq_5hTqMZs
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    from what I've read, they are suffering from quality issues- the older ones are OK apparently.
    fnpt said:
    I've been looking into 12 strings myself. I quite like the look and sound of the Eastwood models but never tried one myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZq_5hTqMZs

• I once played the strat XII and it was an absolute peach. I'd buy one but it would probably be my "best" guitar, and for the money I'd rather just get a nice tele or something. Now if squier did a vintage modified 12 string...