Biscuit news

What's Hot

Comments

• Simmer's Butter Biscuit are peculiar in that they are larger than a McV's Digestive, neither sweet nor savoury and rather 'wan' coloured. Care must be taken when dunking.Ultimately though, very more-ish.
    I would strongly advocate avoidance of Tunnocks range of wares. They're 'biscuits' Jim, but not as we know them. Goes some way to explaining the Nihilistic tendencies in the Scottish psyche.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    McVitie's Digestives down from £1.10 to £1. Whooppee.

Hang on a mo. Packet looks different. Oh, packet size down from 500g to 400g.

Bastards.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    57Deluxe said:
    Here's a treat - -Get some Basic Choccie bics and slaver a dollop of Peanut Butter on top... Ridiculously lavish for little money...

http://i68.tinypic.com/2cmt4lg.jpg
    Or just buy Reeces
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    scrumhalf said:
    McVitie's Digestives down from £1.10 to £1. Whooppee.

Hang on a mo. Packet looks different. Oh, packet size down from 500g to 400g.

Bastards.
    the lord gives with one hand, and punches you in the gut with the other.

and laughs.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    Notice they didn't try that old trick with the Sugar Free variety. 
    Purism is rife when it comes to Biscuit appreciation, so, is the Sugar free offering still an actual Digestive? Or, is it taking postmodernism too far?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Sporky said:
    Aware as I am that biscuits are a topic of significant interest to many tFBers, I would like to offer my latest thoughts on the subject.

1. McVities Digestive Thins are excellent - both the milk and dark chocolate.
    2. If you find yourself in the Netherlands, see if you can pick up some StroopKoeken. Two very short biscuits stuck together with buttery syrup. Just a hint of cinnamon to the assemblage.
    Feel free to add your own thoughts on any recent developments in the arena.
    Alistair, who is mostly Dutch, loves those syrup wafer malarkey’s

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Humbucked said:
    Notice they didn't try that old trick with the Sugar Free variety. 
    Purism is rife when it comes to Biscuit appreciation, so, is the Sugar free offering still an actual Digestive? Or, is it taking postmodernism too far?

I've not tried a sugar free one. If anyone wants to send me some I am happy to add my thoughts. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Didn’t realise there was a biscuit thread... spooky to see it rise to the top, especially as I’ve just knocked up a batch of these:

There was 16 of the buggers one cup of tea ago!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    They look just like the peanut butter cookies my aunt used to make
    WezV said:
    They look just like the peanut butter cookies my aunt used to make
    Nothing so extravagant!!!!

good old Mary berry and her easy to do recipes...
    https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/fork-biscuits

Bloody good and kept their biscuitness when dunked!...

gonna chuck some peanuts in next time tho’
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    i have an unashamedly european palette for bisuits. i just cannot be doing with the stodgy sugary undercooked doughblobs most brits call biscuits.

give me those little german plain-chocolate-coated ginger hearts (bahlsen) that delicatessens do at christmas, or those mini biscotti which are like baby macaroons but nuttier & harder. garibaldi are another fav if the pastry bit is very thin. fig rolls probs as stodgy as i can go.

i accept some of these choices may provoke cake-biscuit police action. time crime nom-nom-nom.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    vale said:
    i have an unashamedly european palette for bisuits. i just cannot be doing with the stodgy sugary undercooked doughblobs most brits call biscuits.

give me those little german plain-chocolate-coated ginger hearts (bahlsen) that delicatessens do at christmas, or those mini biscotti which are like baby macaroons but nuttier & harder. garibaldi are another fav if the pastry bit is very thin. fig rolls probs as stodgy as i can go.

i accept some of these choices may provoke cake-biscuit police action. time crime nom-nom-nom.
    The more I read your posts @vale, the more I think you are just far too cultured, sophisticated and tasteful for this forum. 

Then you say you like fig rolls and my opinion goes out the window :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    vale said:

The more I read your posts @vale, the more I think you are just far too cultured, sophisticated and tasteful for this forum. 

Then you say you like fig rolls and my opinion goes out the window :D
    does it make me more or less cultured if i say i have even been known to peel the pastry bit off & just eat the figgy insides? i'm basically a plain chocolate & dried fruit bitch slumming it in on hobnob island.
    vale said:
     i'm basically a plain chocolate & dried fruit bitch slumming it in on hobnob island.
    I’m not sure how to respond to that but:

1. I don’t know what makes a dried fruit bitch a dried fruit bitch (other than dried fruit?)
    2. Where the fuck is hobnob island cos I want to go there NOW 
    Hobnob island?... it’s in the med... just off the coast of

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Hobnob island?... it’s in the med... just off the coast of

Touché and I tip my hat to you, sir ;)
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Shortbread in its many forms. The pricey Sainsburys thin round ones with lemon peel were good.

Honourable mention for oatcakes.
    jdgm said:

Honourable mention for oatcakes.
    aka 'porridge dentures'. & on the subject of porridge, the flatbread police would like a word...

actually the ever so sublty salty ones i don't mind.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    vale said:

I regularly extoll the virtue of Spanish biscuits to my kids. You should always carry them on flights. 

If you crash over the sea, they are so dry, they will suck the ocean right up. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    edited June 2018
    vale said:
    I certainly admire many "mainland" biscuits. For our Fox there is Bahlsen for starters. The mighty biscuit Ritter Sport.

And you're right about those gingery ones from Germany - also the ones that have a bit of apricot jam in the middle (though there may be debate on whether they are biscuits).

vale said:

Cakes are good people. I have no problem with this becoming a general baked-comestible discussion whatsoever. The cake-biscuit police are only welcome here if they leave their warrant cards at the door and bring something edible to share. Perhaps some chocolate Bath Olivers - probably the hardest biscuit I have ever eaten, and magnificent with it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."