One for the Photographers to Drool over - Canon Gear Room at the Winter Olympics

What's Hot

Comments

• Maybe it makes me “not a proper photographer”, but I’m super unimpressed with high end gear. A nice camera makes your life easier, but it’s a means to an end for me.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited February 2018

This is probably the wrong attitude, but to me (even as a minor camera fan) this is just advertising gone to its extreme. Anyone seen a Nikon lens in any of the coverage? (I'd love to know.)  Like summer Olympics, where I heard athletes were required to wear a certain brand of shoe when receiving medals...

The Olympics is just money, money, money...

EDIT: Correction I was wrong, Nikon have a room there too:

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/canons-nikons-crazy-dslr-stockpiles-2018-olympics/

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Ravenous said:

As Brazil discovered to their cost!!!
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Maybe it makes me “not a proper photographer”, but I’m super unimpressed with high end gear. A nice camera makes your life easier, but it’s a means to an end for me.
    It depends on the gear you use. At some point when I get into photography more I'll be looking at buying another body, currently use a D7000 but would like a full frame sensor. I'll be scouting second hand options for older models.

I've quite a big collection of lenses, some of the best ones cost a lot yet i've some I really like that cost me £10. It's all down to what's appropriate for the type of photography you're taking.
  • Foster said:
    Maybe it makes me “not a proper photographer”, but I’m super unimpressed with high end gear. A nice camera makes your life easier, but it’s a means to an end for me.
    It depends on the gear you use. At some point when I get into photography more I'll be looking at buying another body, currently use a D7000 but would like a full frame sensor. I'll be scouting second hand options for older models.

I've quite a big collection of lenses, some of the best ones cost a lot yet i've some I really like that cost me £10. It's all down to what's appropriate for the type of photography you're taking.
    Yeah, I’m not arguing against that at all. Clearly  if I was shooting Olympic events i’d want the highest quality possible, with all the bells and whistles (and fast-focus burst modes!) that come with it. 

But it it’s like commercial vehicles, rather than sports cars. You buy what you need to get the job done. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Staggering that a camera manufacturer at a non-sponsored event such as the olympics would invest themselves so much.  I suppose the intention is to encourage all the professionals to use Canon?  And I suppose you could turn up with your lens and say it's not working because of the cold and they'll give you another or fix it.  Would Nikon have something similar?

Anyway, reading the article this made me chuckle as it doesn't come across in the way it's supposed to:
    "The Canon staff come from 10 different countries and speak a total of 10 different languages."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    Haha, nice warehouse of gear but I’m not really a collector for cameras, I only buy lenses that I use so £100,000 1200mm L lens doesn’t interest me besides the bragging rights because I have no idea how to use such a lens.  I’m as good using one of those than a 5 year old.

Lenses are not like guitars, each lens is more like a different instrument but I’m more interested in the access to shoot at the Olympics...then I’ll find a lens for that situation....and then I’ll feel like I’m in a candy store.  But without the opportunity, I wouldn’t have any use for most of those lenses.
    sinbaadi said:
    Staggering that a camera manufacturer at a non-sponsored event such as the olympics would invest themselves so much.  I suppose the intention is to encourage all the professionals to use Canon?  And I suppose you could turn up with your lens and say it's not working because of the cold and they'll give you another or fix it.  Would Nikon have something similar?

Anyway, reading the article this made me chuckle as it doesn't come across in the way it's supposed to:
    "The Canon staff come from 10 different countries and speak a total of 10 different languages."

Part of the benefit of being a CPS member is at events like these you can get your gear fixed on site and if it breaks, they lent you a replacement.  That’s why they have so many, most togs will have their own gear. 

CPS does the same service if you send them in for repair and if they can’t do it within a time frame, they willl send you another until yours is fixed.

but at the Olympic, you need to get that shot so they just hand you a working lens there and then.

its service like this why most sports togs shoot Canon and less of Nikon and Sony,  they all of the equivalent of the CPS but Canon’s version is arguably the biggest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Ravenous said:

This is probably the wrong attitude, but to me (even as a minor camera fan) this is just advertising gone to its extreme. Anyone seen a Nikon lens in any of the coverage? (I'd love to know.)  Like summer Olympics, where I heard athletes were required to wear a certain brand of shoe when receiving medals...

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/canons-nikons-crazy-dslr-stockpiles-2018-olympics/

I suspect there’s plenty of Nikon stuff at the Olympics. Canon were very clever with their gear design though, those off white lenses really stand out compared to the black Nikon ones. 
    boogieman said:
    Ravenous said:

I suspect there’s plenty of Nikon stuff at the Olympics. Canon were very clever with their gear design though, those off white lenses really stand out compared to the black Nikon ones. 
    There is a scientific reason for it

https://petapixel.com/2016/02/19/canon-lenses-white-instead-black/

How true that is or not...I shot a wedding outdoor in 41c heat and my camera was hot to touch so I would take the white over Black if it works any day.
  • sinbaadi said:

Part of the benefit of being a CPS member is at events like these you can get your gear fixed on site and if it breaks, they lent you a replacement.  That’s why they have so many, most togs will have their own gear. 

CPS does the same service if you send them in for repair and if they can’t do it within a time frame, they willl send you another until yours is fixed.

but at the Olympic, you need to get that shot so they just hand you a working lens there and then.

its service like this why most sports togs shoot Canon and less of Nikon and Sony,  they all of the equivalent of the CPS but Canon’s version is arguably the biggest.
    Yes, this is what impressed me about the article - the effort they have gone to to make sure that the pros ( who are out there making their living) are well-supported, especially given the harsh conditions. Seems reasonable to me that they draw attention to that effort.
    sinbaadi said:

Yes, this is what impressed me about the article - the effort they have gone to to make sure that the pros ( who are out there making their living) are well-supported, especially given the harsh conditions. Seems reasonable to me that they draw attention to that effort.
    It’s just part of the service and membership to CPS is free, i am on the top tier, it’s calculated on the amount of gear that you have.  They are basically give you benefits for being a loyal customer.  It also makes sense that when someone have this much gear and invests in so much into it they are a professional and having this safety blanket is nice.  I know for a fact that I can send in a broken lens on a Monday, it will be back by Friday in my hand, in fact I’ve done it.
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Pffft! Digitsal rubbish. Give me an Agfa Super Solinette any day.
    seany65 said:
    Pffft! Digitsal rubbish. Give me an Agfa Super Solinette any day.
    Lol, I know you are kidding but can you imagine a Press photographer saying the same thing?

Editor - Where is that finish line shot? I need that photo for the front page now ! We just made history by winning the most gold medals, and this is the last event !!!

You - Sorry guv, I've sent it off to the lab and they said it's 60min rush.

….
    …..

You - Guv? The lab has lost the negative. Nevermind, I am going to the pub for a pint.

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    I wasn't kidding. I've got an Agfa Super Solinette (No. R31845), and I've got no reason to be worried about deadlines as I'm not really talented at taking photos. I'd be even worse with a digital camera as I'd really hate all those ruddy menus and stuff you have to go through just to change the exposure.
    seany65 said:
    I wasn't kidding. I've got an Agfa Super Solinette (No. R31845), and I've got no reason to be worried about deadlines as I'm not really talented at taking photos. I'd be even worse with a digital camera as I'd really hate all those ruddy menus and stuff you have to go through just to change the exposure.
    I meant you MUST be kidding talking about film being the choice of medium for a professional.  I don't doubt you are still shooting film, as an hobby.

You mean like this?  Change exposures without menus?

(Although I am not sure what you mean about menus, you can change exposures in all DSLR without going into a menu, that's the point of them, you can operate it quickly, if you need to do that then pros won't be using them)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65 said:
    I meant you MUST be kidding talking about film being the choice of medium for a professional.  I don't doubt you are still shooting film, as an hobby.

(Although I am not sure what you mean about menus, you can change exposures in all DSLR without going into a menu, that's the point of them, you can operate it quickly, if you need to do that then pros won't be using them)

There is a small resurgence of pros using medium and large formats for high end portraiture, probably for the insane sharpness and bellows control.

But when a bill board can comfortably be printed from 6mp, even a hardhcore film fan like me knows digital is simply better for 99.99 percent of people  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited February 2018
    seany65 said:
    Fascinating
    seany65 said:

There is a small resurgence of pros using medium and large formats for high end portraiture, probably for the insane sharpness and bellows control.

But when a bill board can comfortably be printed from 6mp, even a hardhcore film fan like me knows digital is simply better for 99.99 percent of people  

seany65 said:
    There are and I’m aware, those are VERY niche and they won’t be seen at any sporting events or environment where they can’t control the environment.

(wait for someone tell me about using that 100 year old camera at an F1 event) lol

There are exceptions but digital is the standard.
  • People who say there's loads of menus to navigate have either not used a digital camera properly, or is being intentionally awkward.

They are very easy to navigate.