Polishing frets

What's Hot
So, I'm in the process of flipping the ABR-1 on my LP Special the 'right' way round, and I want to give the frets a quick polish while the strings are off.  Back in the day, I remember using masking tape and Duraglit wadding on my Squier.  I have some Brasso wadding and some normal Brasso - one of these should do the job, yes?  And any problems with a nitro finish?
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    I got the same kind of question. I have a squier classic vibe and some of the frets feel slightly scratchy. Any links or advice appreciated
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    I use standard Brasso. If you’re masking off the board, getting it on the nitro shouldn’t be an issue. I doubt it’s harmful anyway.

If the frets aren’t already fairly smooth you may need to start with fine wire wool. If you do, mask over the pickups before you start and hoover the guitar thoroughly before you remove it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7015
    tFB Trader
    I spent a small fortune on "fret rubbers" recently as other people seem to like them.

Wasted my money I think, they don't seem very effective at all compared to my usual Micromesh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16660
    I spent a small fortune on "fret rubbers" recently as other people seem to like them.

Wasted my money I think, they don't seem very effective at all compared to my usual Micromesh.
    Same here.  
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    edited February 2018
    I have just done my Les Paul Studio. I used 400 grit paper to carefully take 'sharp edges' of the end it is a 2016 model you shouldn't need to do that. Used 800 grit paper very softy to take off any oxidation quickly - only takes a slight rub. Used 3000 to polish. Then I have some https://crimsonguitars.com/store/fret-rubber-fret-polishing-abrasive/ rubbers I used the fine then the super fine. Finally I cleaned excess muck off from the rubbers and used nevrdul (duraglit) for the final polish. Feels like glass to me now.

As @ICBM says watch out for shedding of from wire wool it will be a swine to get off if shreds of wire wool heads for the pickups that is why I use grit paper but I still cover pickups. A tip I picked up from youtube is use yellow post it notes to mask up, seems like less gunk from the glue. Careful with the heavier grit paper it will remove material fast.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7015
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

Same here.  
    You could've said! ;)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Just tape everything up with masking tape beforehand.  Depending on how bad the frets are, polish with 800 grit paper, 1000 grit paper, fine wire wool and finally brasso.  If you’re using wire wool, make sure to tape the pickups up as well to avoid the metal fragments getting into them.
  • T cut or brasso here 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I saw a Guy on youtube using a dremel  I was thinking of doing the same,has  anyone tried it?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Clashman said:
    I saw a Guy on youtube using a dremel  I was thinking of doing the same,has  anyone tried it?
    Yeah I do this and use Autosol as the polishing compound. Takes no time at all! 
  • I don't like using wire wool, it gets tiny metal particles everywhere.

If the frets aren't seriously scratched then going 1000-1500-2500 wet&dry paper gets them looking nice. If you are feeling keen you could then use a set of micromesh papers up to 12,000.

If you want to take it to the n'th then Peek metal polish gets them to a mirror finish, but you definitely need to tape the fretboard up as it makes a right mess. It makes even more of a mess using a dremel and a polishing wheel and you have to be careful not to slip and grind one of the fret tops with the knurled edge of the collet.

If you have metal fret protectors you can skip taping up when just doing a quick clean and polish, but if a lot of work is needed (e.g. following a level/crown) it is quicker to tape up then you can run along the length of the board with the paper over a foam sanding block.

I've had good success recently using the Crimson fret erasers for quick polish ups & just taking a bit of tarnish off.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14190
    tFB Trader
    Duraglit works fine for me 
  • Duraglit works fine for me 
    As long as you mask the fingerboard properly, Brasso, Duraglit, etc are fine.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Fine scotchbrite if there's mank or green oxide, brasso to shine up.
  • Thanks, folks.

The frets aren't in bad nick - in fact if I didn't already have all the strings off, I probably wouldn't bother.  I'll have a go over the weekend with what I've got.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• WezV said:

Same here.  
    Same.

Micromesh is my preference
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I took some photo's as I did this last week for @BRISTOL86 ;with his new American Pro Strat using 'Peek' Metal polish.

If anyone who's never done it before is interested in how to mask up a board and how the process works, I'll be happy to post that?

If you have done it before, 'Peek' metal creme polish is very good and non abrasive. I've used it for years and my last tube cost me £3.95 from the local hardware store and will probably last another 5 years like the last one did.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @Alnico ;
    So does Peek Metal Polish remove oxidation? That would mean slightly abrasive wouldn't it like 3000 grit paper?
    notanon said:
    @Alnico ;
    So does Peek Metal Polish remove oxidation? That would mean slightly abrasive wouldn't it like 3000 grit paper?
    Yes it does and no it's not, it uses Ammonia so it's non abrasive.
    Click HERE to read about 'Peek' metal polish.

First discovered when I owned my Harley Davidsons because it doesn't scratch mirror polished Ally and Chrome due to it's non-abrasiveness and used on guitars as well ever since.