Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Isn't there already a thread on this?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised.  Never seen a company piss all over its legacy like Gibson has. Anybody remember the Firebird X? Or the self-tuning Les Paul's or the crappy piezo pickups in the J45s? Not saying that there hasn't been the odd gem but...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollo said:
    I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised.  Never seen a company piss all over its legacy like Gibson has. Anybody remember the Firebird X? Or the self-tuning Les Paul's or the crappy piezo pickups in the J45s?

Remember them......... How could we forget them! 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • oh_pollo said:
    I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised.  Never seen a company piss all over its legacy like Gibson has. Anybody remember the Firebird X? Or the self-tuning Les Paul's or the crappy piezo pickups in the J45s?

Remember them......... How could we forget them! 
    Shit on the G force tuners all you like but they saved me hours in the studio! The rest of the QC on the guitar (2015 traditional) wasn't the best, neck was weirdly wide, lacquer felt horrid and the Les Paul 100 signature looked rubbish but I loved the G force. Would never have paid RRP for it but for £850 in the January sales you can't go far wrong when you can go from standard to open G to drop C# in 10 seconds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I bloody love the G Force / Tronical tuning system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Sad/amazing how a company can get itself into such a deep hole financially....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Sad/amazing how a company can get itself into such a deep hole financially....
    The upside is Carillion are about to make a takeover bid....
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Glad I've got an old 'un  :)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I think all this Gibson  bashing says more about the bashers than the company .They try to come up with something different and they get moaned at .They make traditional models and get bashed for being boring .Its all a bit sad ..I expect Epiphone is making all their profits anyway like Squier  does for Fender .US labour rates make them all dead in the water  anyway ..
    As for G force ,it works .You have to learn to use it properly .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Its lose lose from my point of view. They try to entice younger folk trying new things, however most young's can't afford a Gibson (i certainly never could) then by the time you are at point of being in financial position to buy one, your opinions have changed and you just want a classic looking one. Well i did anyhow. haha
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited February 2018
    Stuckfast said:
    I bloody love the G Force / Tronical tuning system.
    Great technology but I really didn't get on with it. I found the process too slow and far quicker to tune manually, especially when I needed to do it on the fly. So I removed it from my Les Paul.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    My custom has just gone up in value.
  • So we are entering the phase of the pre-Carillion Gibsons. (if that's who buys them out).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I think this is a good thing - Not only did they price themselves out of the market, but they struggled to make the historically correct models that they're known for, to the quality that's expected of £5K.

To conclude...Phuck 'em.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Who is the creditor for the secured notes, and were they secured against? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    "And buried beneath those top-line statistics is another problem: sinking prices.  All of which is great for anyone on the market for a guitar — new or used.  But it’s disastrous for a company like Gibson."

I've yet to see evidence of this to be honest.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3391
    This is a bit bleak

"That’s when sales figures revealed a serious sales drop over the past decade.  Specifically, guitar sales have dropped from approximately 1.5 million units annually to roughly 1 million — all in less than a decade. "
  • If they put "proper" shape head stocks on epiphones they'd be saved overnight
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    This is a bit bleak

"That’s when sales figures revealed a serious sales drop over the past decade.  Specifically, guitar sales have dropped from approximately 1.5 million units annually to roughly 1 million — all in less than a decade. "
    I've heard this a lot. I think a lot of it is to do with the crappy, over manufactured "music" people listen to now, which just doesn't inspire them to pick up and play. Thank God I was bought up on the greats.

So, if Gibson goes under, what happens to epiphone?
    "Pick your noses up!"