Midi advice for an idiot wanted please.

BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
Could someone point me in the direction of an idiot's guide to midi please? 

I have 2 fundamental rigs - an AX8 which I use direct to PA and a more conventional pedalboard (which contains an Empress Echosystem) for using with an amp so both options have midi controllable pedals.

What benefits would a midi controller give me? I know I can use it to select presets but I can already do that on the above pedals so what's the advantage of a separate controller?

Also, it seems that not all midi controllers are created equal and compatibility seems inconsistent - what makes the good ones good? The Morningstar MC6 seems a bit of a forum fave but I also like the look of the Decibel 11 Switch Dr as it also has loops that you can plug non-midi pedals in to use like a programmable looper. From my limited knowledge, it doesn't look like the MC6 can do this?

I know diddly about midi so any help / pointers/ article links gratefully received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MC6 - even I could use it. Simple. Avoids that illogical midi rabbit hole
  • ^^^ but to answer your question @Beexter, the MC6 is not a loop switcher, although Morningstar do make a loop switcher add-on for the MC6.

Without having used one, the advantages of having a MIDI controller would include- preset selection on multiple pedals at the same time, MIDI clock to synchronize tap tempo on multiple pedals, and Control Change messages that would let you have expression pedal-style control over parameters within presets on multiple pedals.

If you only have one MIDI pedal on an otherwise "dumb" pedalboard then the benefit you'd get from a MIDI controller might be limited, although that would depend on how accessible the features you need are from the pedal's interface.

@GavRichList is balls deep in the Morningstar MC6 on a fairly complex pedalboard- he may be able to expand on what's good about it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• "balls deep". 

MC6 is wonderful. Feel free to ask any questions. 
  • In terms of the ax8, it is the midi controller.

Midi can be used to do a few things to enabled pedsls... send midi clock... trigger pedals to change settings, or state. Get hooked up to a laptop (the pigtronix infinity can be synced so that stop, play,overdub etc are triggered by a laptop)

The question really is what midi pedals do you have and what do you want to do with them?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    In terms of the ax8, it is the midi controller.

Midi can be used to do a few things to enabled pedsls... send midi clock... trigger pedals to change settings, or state. Get hooked up to a laptop (the pigtronix infinity can be synced so that stop, play,overdub etc are triggered by a laptop)

The question really is what midi pedals do you have and what do you want to do with them?
    That's a good point @Teetonetal - at the moment, the only midi capable pedal on my traditional board is an Empress Echosystem. If I were to incorporate midi on that board (which contains tuner, volume/ wah, 2 dirt pedals, a tumnus, compressor, delay and tremolo) I'd need an Empress midi box to connect the delay AND a midi loop switcher for the non midi pedals AND a midi controller. All it would add would be the ability to call up different pedal combos and switch presets on the Echosystem with one button press. Seems a bit of a faff to me.

Seemingly, a few people use a midi controller just to switch patches on the AX8 but on the basis it can do that anyway, I can't see the point?

Maybe midi just isn't for me, I just wanted to understand if I was missing anything.
  • Midi is great. But there needs to be a point to it otherwise why bother. What Gav does with his board is exactly why midi is such a great thing but for lots of people it's just an extra layer of faff.