Fender Strats and the wabbly/clicky trem arm, are customs any better?

What's Hot
Im on the hunt for an awesome Fender Strat, but one of my main gripes about my old one was the click I used to get when I started to use the trem bar/vibrato bar/whatever you call it. It also never felt as snug as my Suhr or PRS does. 

So the idea was that I buy one and fit a Callaham as they’ve got good rep for feeling sturdy, but now I’m thinking that the specs I want may warrant a Custom Shop build, so my question is...are the custom shop bridges any better than those you get on a standard strat? Are they any more sturdy and are they nicer feeling? I’m hoping so!
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited February 2018
    Nope. You can use wood glue or PTFE tape as a fix though.

You may get a better block in a CS instrument, they all, as far as I’ve come across, suffer from wobbly arm syndrome though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a steel tremolo block with a nylon insert. That stops any movement, depending on how tight you screw it in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    If it’s a solid block pick up one of those handy spring inserts, stops the slop completely
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I PTFE Mine... works a treat   :)
  • Bloody 'ell, wish I'd talked to you lot before jumping the gun and selling mine last year. That said, at least I know what I want from a new instrument now and hopefully I can find something that suits me better!

Thanks all for the input. Looks like a CS strat may be the way to go and those spring things or tape could well be the fix! :-)

CS Strats come with the arm slop spring in the pocket with the spare trem springs 
    Back in the day they used to be fitted with a coloured sticker over the hole to stop them falling out when the guitars were hung up in shops
  • I remember my strat having a green sticker on the bridge! So that's weird. Interesting!

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited February 2018
    As mentioned above, the CS Strats I've owned have all had been a bit clicky with the little spring inserted. PTFE tape on the trem arm tread is a better solution but I screw the bastard trem down and tighten it with all 5 springs on board. Don't click no more!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’ve never found the tiny spring very effective at eliminating arm wobble.
  • I put a Callaham block and the matching arm on a US lonestar and it was no trouble after that.