What song made you want to play guitar ?

What's Hot
gilbygilby Frets: 176
For me it was Smash it up (parts one and two) by The Damned. Think I was 12, didn't get a guitar 'til I was 14 though.

Think it was the contrast with the two parts that hooked me into the idea. Than I heard this by Siouxsie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think it was Bad by U2 when I was 16, as it sounded so simple and I guess I thought I might just be able to learn enough to play it, but I never got a guitar until I was 21

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014
    Bruce Springsteen, Cover Me. I was about 10, but didn't get a guitar till I was 15. 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Annoyingly it was an Oasis song. 

Back when I was in school (11 years old) some of the other kids put a band together and performed an Oasis song (I don't remember which one) during one of our assemblies. I thought it was really cool to play the guitar so I decided to take it up myself.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Kayleigh and Layla in equal parts...   
    At the time I had know idea about such magik as hammering on or delay pedals so I was tearing my hair out trying to get them right...
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 990
    "Lazy" from Made In Japan.

The sheer excitement and emotion in a simple setting.

Even now it has everything, wonderful tone, incredible feel huge dynamics (whisper to a wail and gentle to crashing) and a sense of joyful interplay between band the band themselves and the audience.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Layla - IIRC it was used on a Vauxhall Nova advert some time in the eighties. It sounded amazing. I always thought that if I could play that I could truly say I could play guitar.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31573
    The James Bond theme.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6902
    I've always wanted to play guitar for as long as I can remember maybe from 5 years old.

However when offered lessons at 7 I refused (too shy I guess) and it wasn't until I was 18 that I bought a proper guitar.

I bought said guitar after watching this:

Previously known as stevebrum
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited March 2014
    John_P said:
    Kayleigh and Layla in equal parts...   
    At the time I had know idea about such magik as hammering on or delay pedals so I was tearing my hair out trying to get them right...
    Ah, the first thing I did when I got a guitar was buy the tab for The Unforgettable Fire, and tried to play all the echoes as I hadn't heard of effects pedals either

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    Highway star- Deep Purple
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited March 2014
    Metal Guru T-REX, closely followed by all of Ziggy Stardust and All the Young Dudes (album that is not just single)... but sadly, I wanted a Korg 700 first (because I loved ENO) but couldn't afford it on paper round and weekend job / birthday money... was £325 when launched(!) as opposed to £45 for my SG copy) so guitar it was... I was also saving for an FS1E...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_BFXCgm5270

It's still a favourite of mine, but I still haven't learned it in it's entireity

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Still Got the Blues by Gary Moore, and Domination by Pantera.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited March 2014
    All Night Long by Rainbow. Coincidentally when I pick up a guitar I often play smash it up part 1, or Jekyll and Hyde the beginning bit, or Lovely Money.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Ziggy Stardust. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    I don't remember exactly, but possibly Go Your Own Way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Down in the Sewer by the Stranglers.

Rather cliched most likely some early Quo and Deep Purple too in the mix.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

This,,

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Phoenix by Wishbone Ash. Had a hankering to play from an early age with The Shadows, Beatles, Stones, etc. but that one sealed the deal.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. Saw them at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 1976 when I was 15 - shit, they were (allowed to be) loud back then. We were sat in one of the front few rows of the upper tier - and I remember my ears ringing for a good 24 hours after the gig.

Didn't buy my first guitar tho' until I was 40, and have been trying to catch up ever since.