Protection Racket vs Fender Cases

What's Hot
strawberryelf7strawberryelf7 Frets: 1
edited February 2018 in Guitar
Hey! I'm new to this forum, so I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm about to get a strat because I'm making the switch from acoustic to electric and I'm unsure about which gig bag is better.

Am planning to travel on the train and also walk with it. My budget for the case is £60 or less. I've been looking at these two:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06Y24TFD4/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1518973597&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=20mm+gig+bag+electric+guitar

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Protection-Racket-Electric-Guitar-Foam-Case-Standard/KHW

If anyone has experience of Protection Racket or Fender cases, I'd like to know what you think? Or if anyone else has any better alternatives. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Used Hiscox, off the bay?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gator do some different cases to fit Strats for about £60, typical ABS type ones. Personally I dislike gig bags, I don't think they offer any protection. Cheapest fender case new is about £120. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I carry my USA Pro in a gig bag that cost me £30

Click HERE.

It goes on the train, bus, around town..wherever.
    Never a single problem and it's dead comfy to carry.

I only use the hardcase when it's going to be a tough journey with lots of other gear in hardcases or if I'm posting the guitar somewhere to have work done on it.
  • usedtobe said:
    I thought Hiscox only do hard cases? Either way, I did a quick search on Ebay and couldn't find one...
  • strat1990 said:
    Gator do some different cases to fit Strats for about £60, typical ABS type ones. Personally I dislike gig bags, I don't think they offer any protection. Cheapest fender case new is about £120. 
    I had a look at the Gator bag I think you're talking about (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IJYE2IU/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1518988098&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gator+electric+guitar+case&dpPl=1&dpID=31Mec+Ayo7L&ref=plSrch

Not sure how I feel about it, looks a bit flimsy for the price in my opinion. Thanks for the suggestion though

And I agree in that some gig bags offer little to no protection, but it really depends on which ones you're looking at - take Mono for example (I would get one, but unfortunately just don't have that kind of money at the moment) 
  • Alnico said:
    I carry my USA Pro in a gig bag that cost me £30

Click HERE.

It goes on the train, bus, around town..wherever.
    Never a single problem and it's dead comfy to carry.

I only use the hardcase when it's going to be a tough journey with lots of other gear in hardcases or if I'm posting the guitar somewhere to have work done on it.
    It seems pretty decent for the price, so will keep it as an option for now - thanks for the susuggestion
  • I brought one of these..  http://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/electric-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-electric/ about a year ago for £100-ish and love it. The straps are really padded, nicely made, and I don't think you can get better protection in a soft case. It's more than £60 but it's worth it for me and how much I use it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’ve had a Protection Racket case (the 7150) for the last 12 years or so and it’s been superb - it’s  done hundreds of gigs and is barely showing any signs of wear. Highly recommended and well worth the money in my book. It’s also a lot less likely to damage the rest of your gear when rammed in the boot of the car like an equivalent hard case.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Strats are fairly robust and don't really need the same level of protection as most Gibsons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I brought one of these..  http://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/electric-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-electric/ about a year ago for £100-ish and love it. The straps are really padded, nicely made, and I don't think you can get better protection in a soft case. It's more than £60 but it's worth it for me and how much I use it.
    I have seen and heard about this case before and I must admit that it does look very good, but my budget is just too tight right now :')

I will probably invest in a better case at some point, but I'm looking for a cheaper one that will still provide adequate protection until then. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with this exact case in the end!

Thanks for the suggestion though
  • strawberryelf7strawberryelf7 Frets: 1
    edited February 2018
    simonk said:
    I’ve had a Protection Racket case (the 7150) for the last 12 years or so and it’s been superb - it’s  done hundreds of gigs and is barely showing any signs of wear. Highly recommended and well worth the money in my book. It’s also a lot less likely to damage the rest of your gear when rammed in the boot of the car like an equivalent hard case.
    Wow! Good to hear that it's a reliable brand. I'm looking at the cheaper version right now though (the 7050) but maybe I should see if I can somehow get the extra cash for the 7150 if it's that strong (and protective). But, if I cant, do you think the standard model would tide me over? 

Have you ever actually worn it on your back? If so, was it comfortable? @simonk ;
    edited February 2018
    Sassafras said:
    Strats are fairly robust and don't really need the same level of protection as most Gibsons.
    That's good to hear, so would you say that either of those cases will provide adequate proprotect for my purposes? @Sassafras ;
    simonk said:
    Wow! Good to hear that it's a reliable brand. I'm looking at the cheaper version right now though (the 7050) but maybe I should see if I can somehow get the extra cash for the 7150 if it's that strong (and protective). But, if I cant, do you think the standard model would tide me over? 

Have you ever actually worn it on your back? If so, was it comfortable? 
    A mate of mine has a 7050 and it seems perfectly fine... at a casual glance there’s almost nothing to choose between them apart from the faux lambs wool lining in the 7150 and the slightly different arrangement for stowing the straps. His is slightly lighter than mine so I guess that’s the difference in padding.

I’ve worn it on my back quite a few times when trudging in to festivals and stuff and it’s as comfortable as I’d image these sort of things are ever going to be. Slinging it over one shoulder is no problem too as long as you don’t have too many doorways to limbo under.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    +1 for PR cases - I flew once with a guitar in a 7150 case (FlyBe back from Paris) that went in the hold - no problem whatsoever.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

edited February 2018
    simonk said:
    simonk said:

Have you ever actually worn it on your back? If so, was it comfortable? 
    A mate of mine has a 7050 and it seems perfectly fine... at a casual glance there’s almost nothing to choose between them apart from the faux lambs wool lining in the 7150 and the slightly different arrangement for stowing the straps. His is slightly lighter than mine so I guess that’s the difference in padding.

I’ve worn it on my back quite a few times when trudging in to festivals and stuff and it’s as comfortable as I’d image these sort of things are ever going to be. Slinging it over one shoulder is no problem too as long as you don’t have too many doorways to limbo under.
    That's good to hear! Thanks for your response - I am now leaning towards the Protection Racket case.

One thing I forgot to ask is about it supposedly being waterproof? Is this true or is water resistant a better description? @simonk
  • +1 for PR cases - I flew once with a guitar in a 7150 case (FlyBe back from Paris) that went in the hold - no problem whatsoever.
    Wow okay - seems that this is what I'll be going for then (albeit the standard version). 

Thanks for the input
    Hmm, don’t think I’d be prepared to bet my house on it being waterproof to be honest. It’s not something I’ve ever had occasion to test though... reasonably weather resistant sounds about right though.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe said:
    I thought Hiscox only do hard cases? Either way, I did a quick search on Ebay and couldn't find one...
    Yeah, sorry I wasn’t clear. I was recommending a used Hiscox hard case for around 60 quid.. I believe some of the foam, ‘soft cases’ are well liked, though, and from what I can see, the protection racket one looks like it might be ok..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited February 2018
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Yeah, sorry I wasn’t clear. I was recommending a used Hiscox hard case for around 60 quid.. I believe some of the foam, ‘soft cases’ are well liked, though, and from what I can see, the protection racket one looks like it might be ok..
    Oh, I see! Yeah, I couldn't find one when I searched, but they do have a good rep. Thanks for the recommendation - will be getting the protection racket case
  • simonk said:
    Hmm, don’t think I’d be prepared to bet my house on it being waterproof to be honest. It’s not something I’ve ever had occasion to test though... reasonably weather resistant sounds about right though.
    Okay thanks for your response. I'm sold on the PR case. You've been really helpful, so thanks again