Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Saving the best for last

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
Albums that save their best track to their last track.

Go.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gallows- Orchestra of Wolves
  • G'n'R- Appetite for Destruction 
    Rocket Queen is my favourite track by them. 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection 
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Tubular bells
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited February 2018
    The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
    Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
    The Doors - LA Woman
    Neil Young - Harvest
    The Who - Who's Next
    Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else
    Boomtown Rats - A Tonic For The Troops
    Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
    Calexico - Feast Of Wire
    Chris Rea - Auberge
    Crowded House - Together Alone
    Del Amitri - Waking Hours
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Duran Duran - Seven And The Ragged Tiger
    Lloyd Cole - Love Story
    Queen - Innuendo
    Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
    Status Quo - Blue For You
    U2 - Rattle & Hum
    The Waterboys - Modern Blues

(Some of these have unnecessary bonus tracks on CD releases which spoil the 'best for last'... although on Feast Of Wire it *is* the bonus track, so you can't win!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline (which is actually the bonus track)
    Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth
    Satch - Surfing with the Alien
    <space for hire>
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Not saying it's the 'best' track on the album (how do you pick only one?) but Meat is Murder.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Talking Heads - Little Creatures (Road to Nowhere)
    Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues (This Must Be The Place)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBM said:

(Some of these have unnecessary bonus tracks on CD releases which spoil the 'best for last'... although on Feast Of Wire it *is* the bonus track, so you can't win!)
    True, though occasionally you get something like The Ground Beneath Her Feet, which is officially a bonus track, but so obviously the intended final track on ATYCLB and absolutely *perfect*
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    stickyfiddle said:

True, though occasionally you get something like The Ground Beneath Her Feet, which is officially a bonus track, but so obviously the intended final track on ATYCLB and absolutely *perfect*
    Also true, although doesn't count here because Stuck In A Moment and Kite are the best tracks on that (in my opinion).

ICBM said:

The Doors - LA Woman
    I should also have said The Doors, Strange Days and The Soft Parade too, and possibly Waiting For The Sun... in fact probably the only Doors album that *doesn't* end on the best track is Morrison Hotel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• There's two ways to look at this, IMHO. 

The first is this. If an album is a collection of songs, is the last track on the album the best song on it in it's own right.

The second is this. If an album is a beginning-to-end listening experience, does the last track end the experience in a perfect, satisfying way. For me personally, sequencing is an important artistic decision.

Using no 2:

Radiohead - The Bends
    Steven Wilson - Hand . Cannot . Erase .
    Magma - Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM

• A couple from me (using @TheBigDipper 's Option 1): 

Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound - The Backseat
    Sigur Ros - Untitled - #8 ("Popplagið")
    Led Zep - Houses of the Holy - The Ocean
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Alnico said:
    Good shout that. There's not a long on the album I don't love, but Thin Line is a masterpiece. 
  • Jeff Buckley - Dream Brother

@icbm
    Great calls:
    La Woman
    Brothers in Arms
    Auberge

Feast Of Wire I disagree with though, Quattro and Stevie Nicks are better songs.
    re Harvest, noooo!
    edited February 2018
    joneve said:
    Alnico said:
    Good shout that. There's not a long on the album I don't love, but Thin Line is a masterpiece. 

Brave New World on Spotify

It doesn't contain my favourite 'Maiden' song (Dance of Death) but for me, it's the best full album they ever did and that's not an easy choice to make.

It got me through the darkest part of my life about 18 months ago. I was aware of the album but in 2000 I was a trucker who had no time for new releases (and no money) so other than the radio play or overhearing, I didn't really "Get into" the album until @digitalscream commented to me one day on "That last 2 minutes of 'The thin line....' on Brave new world.
    I listened to that and that ending solo made me fucking cry.
    From that point on and through some really scary shit I had to face, it became 'The Album' that summed up that whole period of my life and literally became the soundtrack to it.

I got this poster to hang behind my Strat which thanks to one of my best friends, I got around the same time and the styling cues on my Strat are no accident...

https://i.imgur.com/Ns6WIox.jpg

There are only a few albums I couldn't live without but that is now one of them.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    edited February 2018
    Alnico said:
    joneve said:
    Alnico said:
    It doesn't contain my favourite 'Maiden' song (Dance of Death) but for me, it's the best full album they ever did and that's not an easy choice to make.

It's my favourite Maiden album too, and the one which made me finally "get" the band and become a fan.  Up until then I'd only bought some of the singles (from the early days when they were regularly in the Top 40) and a handful of the albums.  I think it was the return of Smith and Dickinson which drew me in, but it's a really great album.

Thin Line's not my favourite track though, that would be Blood Brothers.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

OK, someone's got to say it...

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

Philly_Q said:
    Alnico said:
    joneve said:
    Alnico said:

It's my favourite Maiden album too, and the one which made me finally "get" the band and become a fan.  Up until then I'd only bought some of the singles (from the early days when they were regularly in the Top 40) and a handful of the albums.  I think it was the return of Smith and Dickinson which drew me in, but it's a really great album.

Thin Line's not my favourite track though, that would be Blood Brothers.

I've got En Vivo on DVD and the Chileans singing that along with Bruce is something else.

I've promised myself that if (!) they write, release and tour a new album then I'll go and see them but I Really want to see them in South America because the crowd are just mental and I really want to be part of that just once.
    Bucket list moment I suppose but I'll be saving up for those tickets the same day they even announce a new album.

I've never seen them live and it's been something I've wanted to do for a long time.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Alnico said:
    joneve said:
    Alnico said:

Brave New World on Spotify

It got me through the darkest part of my life about 18 months ago. I was aware of the album but in 2000 I was a trucker who had no time for new releases (and no money) so other than the radio play or overhearing, I didn't really "Get into" the album until @digitalscream commented to me one day on "That last 2 minutes of 'The thin line....' on Brave new world.
    I listened to that and that ending solo made me fucking cry.
    From that point on and through some really scary shit I had to face, it became 'The Album' that summed up that whole period of my life and literally became the soundtrack to it.

I got this poster to hang behind my Strat which thanks to one of my best friends, I got around the same time and the styling cues on my Strat are no accident...

https://i.imgur.com/Ns6WIox.jpg

There are only a few albums I couldn't live without but that is now one of them.

What an awesome story. The whole last couple of minutes of Thin Line is spine tingling. 

Funny that your favourite Maiden song is Dance of Death. Musically I love it (as it show cases each of the playing styles of Ade, Dave and Janick so well) but I find the lyrics so cheesy that I can't take it too seriously. 

I must add, however, that I LOVE DoD as an album, despite everyone moaning about how bad it's produced.