Anyone else here feel like they rent, rather than own, guitars?

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
I look with some jealousy at the collections of guitars posted here and elsewhere. I never have more than three electrics at a time - not because I can't afford them, really, but more because I like to try different things out and can't justify to myself keeping a huge stable that I won't really play.

I always have a Strat and a Tele and one other. The other varies wildly - currently it's the LTD PB-401 (catchy name). But I rarely hold on to "the other" for more than a couple of months until I get bored / curious / itchy-fingered... Already, I'm considering what I'll swap / sell the LTD to fund! I've only had it a week!

Some years ago, I accepted that (old Strat apart) I will only ever rent guitars, never really own them. Buying used, I rarely take much of a hit and often make a profit, so that doesn't annoy me. 

I reckon I have two hobbies, really. Playing guitar and checking out different types. I also have a fine collection of photos of guitars I've owned...

Is it just me?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    When I buy, I usually have the mindset of them being "keepers" - that's why I have so many of the bloody things!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I tend to flip pedals with alarming speed, but I've ended up with 4 banker guitars and no room in my house (so my wife says) for any more.
  • If I've tried a guitar before purchasing I never end up selling it.  If I have distance purchased it used I usually decide within a week and once it's in it's in.

My best mate buys and sells guitar non-stop.  He's actually a singer who plays a bit of guitar.  Much like yourself he says he just likes to try stuff and he says he goes through love/hate phases. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I lost track a long time ago of how many guitars I have owned.  17 at one time was the record, currently its 7.  I still to this day have never bought a guitar I didn't play first, which may be how I ended up with 17 at once at one point.......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Even though I obviously have a constant stream of guitars passing through my hands often ones I have built, occasionally certain ones become keepers. Trouble is I can end up with way too many. At this moment in time my go to axes seem to be my slimline Lion special, one of the 20th anniversary Lions and maybe the new Blackmachine b6 I'm tinkering with, although there are about another 4 I couldn't part with.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

All of mine get played roughly the same amount...I've had my Jackson since I was 19, I'm 38 soon........

I rarely part with guitars, the first guitar I had, a crappy Hohner LP copy, a Squire Strat (Wish I still had it) and an Epi LP, which, post surgery got played 3 time in 3 years....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Couldn't bear to part with any of mine, apart perhaps from the chinese double neck (any takers?)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I've sold a black dove tele (p90's) for a real tele, but apart from that I've kept all mine.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I went through a period of trading and selling guitars- Ianted to check out a bunch of things and it seemed better to buy them used and then sell them for what I paid. I settled on 10 electrics that cover all my bases and a few other things. In the last year the collection has stayed the same except for repair projects. Most of my disposable income goes on studio gear and tools now.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    So, just me then?

:D
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Looks like... ;)
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    *whistles*
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    I was very much like that, until I got my N4. That's when I basically started to settle down - I still had the odd purchase here and there for a backup guitar, but then I got the Jaden Rose Series 2 (which became my main guitar, with the N4 as backup) and everything else got sold apart from my original "decent" guitar - my Squier Strat.

So...for the last year or two, that's it: S2, N4 and Strat.

Amps and effects...different story entirely ;)
    <space for hire>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Couldn't bear to part with any of mine, apart perhaps from the chinese double neck (any takers?)

£2-50 and a curly-wurly?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Chuffola said:
    So, just me then?

A few of the vintage guitars I've owned I felt like I was just 'renting' or 'looking after', even though they were mine... I think I knew I wouldn't keep them forever and that they were good enough to be treasured by future owners as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    I don't 'rent' them, because I've paid for them outright so I own them. But I also recognise that I'm a kind of curator and someone else will have the pleasure of owning and playing them one day - my son hopes that it will be him! I used to buy and sell a lot but have refined the herd down to a few choice examples now that I'm very happy with and I hope will be keepers, at least until that unforeseen tax bill comes along...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Chuffola said:
    So, just me then?

Nope - me too.. Think I've averaged a new guitar (to me) at least once a month for the last three or so years, made a couple a month as well and at the moment have precisely three electrics in total. I need a support group (and let's face it, this isn't the place to be looking for one) :(

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    According to my maths based on how long I've been playing and the number of guitars I've owed, I buy/trade 3.6 guitars a year. Apart from the guitar I learnt on the longest I've kept a guitar is 2 years and I know it's a keeper already.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    If I'm not playing a guitar I move it on but my main 5 guitars are keepers, some for sentimental reasons and the others cause I really love playing them. Apart from the main 5 anything else can go on the chopping block as needed though they're currently all safe... This week :-)

I must say though Chuff you do fly through them quicker than most people I know. The ltds probably the quickest I've seen you put on gumtree or that might have been the SG. :-)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    edited August 2013
    I'm f*cked then, as on average I have around 20 guitars in the house...

Though I do tend buy, try, sell and trade them on if I don't 'bond' with them or fancy a change. I do buy new and used (prefer used) and sometimes you buy without trying i.e Take a punt.

This can pay off or worst case scenario onto Ebay with it if you do not get along.

Plus the last couple of years I keep getting given guitars for free. Which is always a bonus!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway