Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Jazzmaster bridge is doing my head in - advice needed!

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
I have a nice American Vintage 65 Jazzmaster, but I spend more time getting rid of the buzz on the bridge than playing it.

The problem is that the hex screws in the bridge saddles work loose when playing it. Usually, one of the pair of hex screws in each saddle works loose and this causes rattle and buzz. Then I make a micro-adjustment to level it back up...until the next time. It's doing my head in! Any advice on how to fix this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    edited February 2018
    Blue loctite is the thing for this. Definitely don't use superglue, and try not to use nail varnish if you can help it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    1) Lock the grub screws with a tiny drop of an adhesive material. (Somebody I know used shellac. Messy but effective.)
    2) Change to Mustang saddles. (Fine for 7.25" radius.)
    3) Invest - I used this word advisedly - in either a StayTrem or Mastery upgrade.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3830
    Staytrem
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Had the exact same problem on my CIJ to the point that the grub screw would ping out mid gig and leave me without a string. I swapped mine for a staytrem one, much cheaper than the masterys and works just as well
  • On the cheap clear nail varnish down the grub holes will stop movement fir a while.

Staytrem make a great replacement and it's reasonably priced, kind of. Drop in and minimal fuss.

Or mastery if you want extra sparkle and more umph.
    Still requires fucking about with nail varnish/loctite. That seems to be luck of the draw. Some bridges behave better than others.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Telecaster

;) 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Had the same issue on a Tele Bigsby bridge. Read a comment in an article about dropping the bridge low and then raising the saddles back up with the screws. The change in angle holds the screws tight in the saddle and stops them loosening and buzzing - worked for me.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited February 2018
    Found this -

Might give this a try tomorrow.

• Forget the nail varnish or loctite bodges. Get a mustang bridge or a more expensive (£65ish?) Staytrem. I have one of each on my Jazzmaster and Jaguar and both work perfectly - simple, stable and get the job done. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    1) Lock the grub screws with a tiny drop of an adhesive material. (Somebody I know used shellac. Messy but effective.)
    2) Change to Mustang saddles. (Fine for 7.25" radius.)
    3) Invest - I used this word advisedly - in either a StayTrem or Mastery upgrade.
    that is the way many go - especially option 3)
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited February 2018
    After pushing 20 years of messing with Jag/Jazzmaster bridges loctite and then the Mustang bridge I went for a Staytrem... never looked back it solves all the issues.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly mate, dont bother with any remedy... just get a Staytrem ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, having had both, I prefer staytrem over Mastery. Not worth the fuss of doing anything else. Order one, love your guitar. Make sure you order the 7.25” radius one. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited February 2018
    Yup, another recommendation for Staytrem here. Loctite works though if you don't want to be so spendy. You can still have issues with the string jumping grooves with the original though, depending on how hard you play and break angle on your guitar. Staytrem is great! :-)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    edited February 2018
    I'm sure loctite or nail varnish works for some... (btw - how many male guitar players actually own clear nail varnish? Its always said by those who advocate as though its something we 'all' have...)

But really... just fit a Staytrem or Mastery. Fit, forget and enjoy the experience.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Honestly mate, dont bother with any remedy... just get a Staytrem
    Yeah, really this. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Thanks for feedback, guys. I put some PTFE thin tape in for now. It might stop the grub screws from loosening but the rattle can still appear if the grub screws are not set up perfectly.

Regarding the Staytrem - obviously you can't adjust individual string heights with this. Is this a problem?
  • Staytrem are brilliant! 

And nope, as long as you get the right radius which in your case will be 7.25" you'll have no need for individual string height adjustment. 
  • With the Staytrem there's an option to get little teflon 'seats' that the bridge posts sit in to keep the bridge upright. I know the floating bridge isn't supposed to work like this, but I've found that it makes the trem more solid and doesn't really affect the travel. 
    On my Jazzmaster I've got the cheap solution of mustang bridge + insulating tape for the bridge posts. On my Jag I have the Staytrem + Teflon seats. Both are absolutely rock solid. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Staytrem are brilliant! 

And nope, as long as you get the right radius which in your case will be 7.25" you'll have no need for individual string height adjustment. 

This.

In fact, for the vast majority of cases it makes set up easier and more accurate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.