Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Badass jazz and blues guitarists! Who are you digging?

What's Hot

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I'm always struck by how he manages to play really fast while maintaining the groove.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Matt_McG said:
    I'm always struck by how he manages to play really fast while maintaining the groove.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Yeah, but most people, as the tempo goes above a certain point, gradually transition from swung eighths to straight eighths. Benson still swings, and doesn't sound like he is rushing the beat.
  • JD Simo.  Saw him last year in Bristol.  Best gig I've seen in 20+ years.  Lots of gigs on YouTube, he encourages it.  Just ridiculously good.
  • clarkefan said:
    JD Simo.  Saw him last year in Bristol.  Best gig I've seen in 20+ years.  Lots of gigs on YouTube, he encourages it.  Just ridiculously good.
    I was there! He's amazing. Should have been headlining - was a shame he played such a short set. The band is so powerful live.
  • For sure. Absolutely love that guy and he's criminally underrated IMHO. His new record is brilliant - the guitar solo on Kidney Stew is to die for.
  • Matt_McG said:
    Early George Benson completely killing it:

So good. Haven't seen this one before - thanks for posting!
  • Some great players mentioned but my favourite contemporary jazz guitarist by far is Kurt Rosenwinkel.  I've posted this on here before, but here's Robben Ford talking about him:

"if you're not aware of a guitarist by the name of Kurt Rosenwinkel, this guy is an astonishing guitar player and my favorite that I have heard in years. This guys harmonic sense is so developed, that I listen to him play...it's jaw dropping to me how sophisticated and at the same time very soulful this guy plays, beautiful sound, everything. I admire that tremendously and it makes me just a little sad that I'll never be able to play like that, but again I've made my choices, I'm a blues player."

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Stumbled across this guy today too! Really cool player. 

• Some great players mentioned but my favourite contemporary jazz guitarist by far is Kurt Rosenwinkel.  I've posted this on here before, but here's Robben Ford talking about him:

"if you're not aware of a guitarist by the name of Kurt Rosenwinkel, this guy is an astonishing guitar player and my favorite that I have heard in years. This guys harmonic sense is so developed, that I listen to him play...it's jaw dropping to me how sophisticated and at the same time very soulful this guy plays, beautiful sound, everything. I admire that tremendously and it makes me just a little sad that I'll never be able to play like that, but again I've made my choices, I'm a blues player."

Wow - that is high praise indeed from RF. I wasn't that drawn to the Rosenwinkel stuff I've heard in the past, but I will certainly give him another go on that recommendation!
  • Have really been enjoying the playing of Jonathan Kreisberg recently. Try this one - "The Common Climb"

Wow - that is high praise indeed from RF. I wasn't that drawn to the Rosenwinkel stuff I've heard in the past, but I will certainly give him another go on that recommendation!

Clapton has also described KR as a "genius".

There are two distinct sides to KR.  One is a modern take on traditional jazz standards (Albums like Standards Trio: Revelations and Intuit).  The material is fairly traditional but the melodic and harmonic language he develops from it isn't.

Then there's his more fusion-like own compositions, incorporating electronica, modern beats etc  (eg Heartcore, The Next Step, Star of Jupiter).

If push comes to shove I probably prefer the standards stuff, they are just so deep, but it's a close run thing.  I saw him live once, one of the best concerts I've heard in my life, and it was purely the more modern stuff.

He's not a very bluesy player but for blues flavours you could hunt down "Minor Blues" or his exquisite version of "Summertime": but it's blues playing that takes its starting point from Miles Davis or Thelonious Monk rather than BB King or even Robben Ford.

His most recent album Caipi is his attempt to be a singer-songwriter.  It has its fans but the bits and pieces I heard didn't do it for me.

Apart from Caipi and the brilliant double album "Star of Jupiter" most of his stuff is available on Spotify.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • @Blueingreen Thanks for the info. I'll give the standards stuff another crack!
  • Another YouTube stumble: This guy though. It's a lesson on All Blues, but what a great player and teacher.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2uazGrbDY
  • I think I've seen that Rosenwinkel fella on the Clapton charity shows, gets a tremendous singing tone from a D'angelico?

On the subject of All Blues here's an acoustic take by Eric Skye as this thread is definitely light on the acoustic front : >

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    I like Wayne Krantz, 

I haven't heard Kurt Rosenwinkel but most of his stuff is in Spotify so I'll be catching up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Chris Cain

I *love* Chris Cain.

I tried to book him for a UK tour a few years back, but it never happened.  :'(
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • I think I've seen that Rosenwinkel fella on the Clapton charity shows, gets a tremendous singing tone from a D'angelico?

On the subject of All Blues here's an acoustic take by Eric Skye as this thread is definitely light on the acoustic front : >

Very nice. That Santa Cruz sounds amazing.

• Chris Cain

I *love* Chris Cain.

I tried to book him for a UK tour a few years back, but it never happened.  :'(
    Keep trying mate. Desperate to see him live!