Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One of my favourite guitar solos ever.

What's Hot

Comments

• A few of my friends are far bigger Snarky Puppy fans than I am.  Brilliant individual players but the concept and the compositions only occasionally hit the spot for me.  I have a suspicion they're one of those bands dominated by the member who's the most alpha (Michael League, bass) but isn't the most talented composer or musician.

Mark Lettieri for me is the pick of the 3 guitarists.  Great soloist and unbelievable rhythm player. I've paid less attention to Lanzetti,who's playing here.  They are all phenomenal players though as you'd expect in a band just about any jazz fusion player in the world would give their eye teeth to join.

One thing I've said before here about Lettieri is that he got one of the best live sounds I've ever heard, using a Fender Hot Rod as a pedal platform.  A lot of it in the same tonal ball park as Lanzetti is here in fact.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The solo was OK, but a bit abstract for my tastes.  When the guitar, bass, and keys were doing the unison riff after the solo, that was really excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    Well I listened, I can appreciate the technical skills but I'm just not drawn to that jazz aspect and it left me cold. Probably if I'd been in the room it might have conveyed some emotion (they said the same about punk iirc). Some serious chops on display there though.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2018
    Are you pulling my chain? Sorry, but that's just random noise. Nothing special there whatsoever and there are guitarists here that are way more talented than that. And as for tone, c'mon.. .I can do at least as good with an old tech Tonelab SE or my 2004 Valvetronix!!   Sorry, no disrespect intended but even I as a second rate hack amateur can play and sound better than that...let alone some of the great players here! 

Apologies as I'm not normally so vociferous...but just had a nice glass of Shiraz followed by some saki with a nice stir fry cooked by my gorgeous wife.. so my political correctness and self restraint is probably suffering a tad!  3 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Voxman said:
    Are you pulling my chain? Sorry, but that's just random noise.
    What a silly comment. Post a video of you producing random noise and we'll compare.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Brize said:h
    Voxman said:
    What a silly comment. Post a video of you producing random noise and we'll compare.
    No it really isn't a silly comment as to me there's honestly nothing there at all..sorry bout that but thats how I feel. But I'm game for a kicking so here's some of my random noise...

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Loved it. Great tone and playing.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I was amazed the Strat Trem came back in tune....most of the audience had some sort of ear protection fitted... :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I think his best ideas were in the first few bars of the solo, then it was ok but nothing amazing to me . I also thought they didn't give him a lot of room arrangement wise after the first 20 bars or so, wayyy too busy backing to really let the solo'ist shine

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg said:
    Remids me of Jan Akkerman when he went off on one. Yawn inducing.....
    Bit unfair - even in Akkerman's more self-indulgent moments there's structure and a hint of blues.
  • Not heard of this band but i like the concept. That drummer is amazing. Is this what the cool set do these days? Hang out in coffe shops listening to bands via their beats headphones?

• An interesting fact... the drummer here was depping for the band and learned the songs on the flight over from Canada. Unbelievable!

proper musician...

Technically stunning and I enjoyed the solo but the song didn't do anything for me. Just not my thing.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I love it... Starts out as a discordant soundscape  and then morphs beautifully into a stunning solo and then into that killer bass motif.. and yeah the drummer is damn amazing too  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    No it really isn't a silly comment as to me there's honestly nothing there at all..sorry bout that but thats how I feel. But I'm game for a kicking so here's some of my random noise...

Fair fucks for putting that up there. Respect is due

And to be fair, not as technical as the guy in the original video but your no slouch either. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    Nice !!!! :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:

(We don't need to include the vid again)
    Fair fucks for putting that up there. Respect is due

And to be fair, not as technical as the guy in the original video but your no slouch either. 
    Yep, you put your money where your mouth was. Great playing to my ear for sure :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Yep, it's a scorcher.....all of it is really.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Not to everyone’s taste but I like it a lot. Saw them live last year, absolutely mind blowing.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited February 2018
    darcym said:
    sweepy said:
    Forget the guitars ! that Drummer, oh yes indeed

this is true though.
    Saw them live in Glasgow last year and was disappointed to see no Mark Lettieri OR Cory Henry - but man that drummer (Larnell Lewis) and Michael League were worth the entry fee alone!