When's a speeding ticket overdue?

What's Hot
Is there a limit on when a speeding ticket from a camera has to be delivered by?

Say, for example, someone who was driving in their own car was flashed by a speed camera, a couple of Tuesdays ago, is there a waiting period for the notice?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Think a Notice of Intended Prosecution has to be issued within 14 days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I vaguely recall 28 days being the "safe" point

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • It used to be 14 days, more info here; http://www.pepipoo.com/NIP.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Is there a time limit? I Thought I read in the past of someone getting one 3 months after the offence and still having to pay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • depend on if the car is yours or not, if its a company car etc. they have "reasonable" time to find you.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    Does he own the car involved? If it was rented/leased then there may be a delay getting the "notice to prosecute" to him.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • He, or she, does ,in this example, own the car. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Does the person know whether it was one of the old style cameras that used "film", or one of the more recent evolutions?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Does the person know whether it was one of the old style cameras that used "film", or one of the more recent evolutions?
    No he, or she, does not.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    The old ones (big boxes that flashed) were notorious for not having film in them, or not having the film replaced quickly enough, such that you could be flashed but no image was taken.

I'm pretty sure that the newer ones use technologies that  remove that loss-of-revenue risk.

I've known people (not me) receive penalty/prosecution notices well after the two-week period that seemed to be the accepted cut-off in times gone by.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I read something recently that said about a number of the police forces had turned off thier fixed cameras because they were too costly to administer and they received no financial benefit directly. Ah yes, yer tiz:

Gratuitous BBC link
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41869134

Of course playing roulette with them is not a sport I wish to take on and hopefully others see the stupidity of speeding for the fun of it.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I've always understood it to be 2 weeks.

When I got caught on a camera I received the notice through within a week.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• He or she may be offered a speed awareness course ( subject to the various conditions). I thought the one I went on was interesting and well run although you get very varied feedback on this. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ESBlonde said:
     the stupidity of speeding for the fun of it.

apart from a perceived necessity (eg being late) isn't that why most people do it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
     the stupidity of speeding for the fun of it.

apart from a perceived necessity (eg being late) isn't that why most people do it?
    Certainly mine was simply ignorance. Actually plenty of roads where it's difficult to know the speed limit. 
    Based on other people's comments on my course the majority were there for the same reason, although I guess people are more likely to say that rather than I'm a careless eejut. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @EricTheWeary ; yes I'm sure ignorance of the current limit gets a lot of people, but that's not deliberate speeding, it's just being a bit careless. Whereas if you're late or just wanting to have fun, you open up the taps disregarding any speed limit, and IMO that makes it more deliberate.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Modern camera that send a digital image back to base print out your ticket within seconds most old style no longer have film.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    worry about it when it happens as it may never.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    This reminds me of the sad death of a friend of mine. He was actually killed by a bolt of lightening. He lived alone  and had no family so  i had to identify his body. Not nice i tell you. 
    When i went in to see him they pulled the sheet back and he was lying there with a big smile on his face!. I said thats odd hes just been struck by lightning!. The Dr said "I know, he thought he was getting his picture taken"

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited February 2018
    In the past when driving a company car I got an NIP 5 weeks after my alleged offence. Even then I only got it as they delivered it to my friends house opposite to mine. I waited 2 weeks and told them what happened and they still tried to get me. As I didn’t respond it when to court in my absence but again sent all follow up paperwork and fine to wrong address. I waited 2 weeks and called the courts about it, they deferred it to my local courts who upon reading my response threw it out. Phew eh! 

That was northampton courts/ police who originally were after me but the local Lincolnshire ones saw sense.