Corbyn smear campaign

What's Hot
"Oooh, Trump's taking some heat over this Russia thing isn't he ?  -  Hey, I know.... let's try and stir up some shit about Corbyn and a Czech spy !!".

Yes, that well known stalwart of gravitas and political comment (and big tits), 'The Sun' says ""Over the past few days, we have revealed substantial, documented evidence from the Czech security archive that a Czech spy met with Jeremy Corbyn at the height of the Cold War," it said, adding that it was in the public interest to know details of the meeting.

"Those questions are yet to be answered and we will keep asking them, no matter how inconvenient they might be, nor how many times we are threatened with 'change' - whatever that may mean.

"They are questions that we would put to anybody who aspires to the highest office in the land."

(Unless they were someone that Murdoch supported, in which case, we'd say fuck all and stick another big pair of tits in there).

Even if he did meet a Czech 'spy' at some point - so fucking what ?  Unless you've got some evidence that he did anything to harm Britain's interests, who gives a flying fuck who he met ?

Thatcher sucked up to and publicly defended a mass-murdering dictator.  Not so loud about that were you, Murdoch's Minions.

I wouldn't mind if they'd found something worthy of investigation, but this is just embarrassing 

Birds are meant to fly free...  Open every cage you see.

https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/caged-birds/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16962
    Emp_Fab said:
    "Oooh, Trump's taking some heat over this Russia thing isn't he ?  -  Hey, I know.... let's try and stir up some shit about Corbyn and a Czech spy !!".

Yes, that well known stalwart of gravitas and political comment (and big tits), 'The Sun' says ""Over the past few days, we have revealed substantial, documented evidence from the Czech security archive that a Czech spy met with Jeremy Corbyn at the height of the Cold War," it said, adding that it was in the public interest to know details of the meeting.

"Those questions are yet to be answered and we will keep asking them, no matter how inconvenient they might be, nor how many times we are threatened with 'change' - whatever that may mean.

"They are questions that we would put to anybody who aspires to the highest office in the land."

(Unless they were someone that Murdoch supported, in which case, we'd say fuck all and stick another big pair of tits in there).

Even if he did meet a Czech 'spy' at some point - so fucking what ?  Unless you've got some evidence that he did anything to harm Britain's interests, who gives a flying fuck who he met ?

Thatcher sucked up to and publicly defended a mass-murdering dictator.  Not so loud about that were you, Murdoch's Minions.

I wouldn't mind if they'd found something worthy of investigation, but this is just embarrassing 

It was against the law. Small point I know ...
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1417

The "spy" in question also commented that Corbyn wasn't very bright, so it does look like he met him............
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13391
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

What was against the law ? - and what law ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited February 20
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

What planet are you on .. treason for starters .. luckily Corbyn knew nothing as MI5 had already worked out he was a security risk so he wasn't given sensitive information by his own party.  It was the end of the Cold War .. Philby and co did a runner ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 2210
    Christ my dad went to Russia when he was head of Wiltshire county council of the Labour party. 
    It was common knowledge the Labour party had links to Russia.
    Old news!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Christ my dad went to Russia when he was head of Wiltshire county council of the Labour party. 
    It was common knowledge the Labour party had links to Russia.
    Old news!
    True .. my school used to have trips to Russia and we had Russian language courses ... you can guess where some of the pupils ended up.

MI5 claim they knew about Corbyn but I wonder if they did .. I'm sure this would have come out earlier.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 3705
    Funny word "spy"...........I bet most politicians have met many spies ............only they didn't know it at the time .
    I would have thought that Corbyn of that era was pretty low-hanging fruit anyway.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 881
    If they genuinely can't get any traction playing the "terrorist sympathiser" angle, what on earth makes these wazzocks think that "meeting with Czech diplomats" is going to cut through with the public?  It's just a good old-fashioned smear, and sop for their more rabid readership.  
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 8538
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    What planet are you on .. treason for starters .. luckily Corbyn knew nothing as MI5 had already worked out he was a security risk so he wasn't given sensitive information by his own party.  It was the end of the Cold War .. Philby and co did a runner ...
    Why is meeting a foreign diplomat "treason"? Were there ANY diplomats from behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War who weren't involved in their own country's secret service? 

I don't think it would've been possible to talk to anyone without accidentally meeting a "spy". 

I don't think Corbyn is the brightest either, but this does smack of press desperation. Ironically, I think Corbyn's ship has sailed, all the press are doing is keeping his support alive a bit longer with this nonsense. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5661
    If the story had been about May meeting a Czech spy, @Emp_Fab would have pounced on it like a feral cat on fresh fish, telling us how it explained so much about her and exposed her deceit.

The story is stupid but Corbyn's response of veiled threats is lunacy. He is still a tit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13391
    @chalky How can you presume what my reaction would be?  You think that I'm one of these partisan Muppets I'm criticising?

I would have defended May - even Thatcher, in the same circumstances.  I may not like conservatism but I'm not going to discard my sense of fairness.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 5661
    Emp_Fab said:
    @chalky How can you presume what my reaction would be?  You think that I'm one of these partisan Muppets I'm criticising?

I would have defended May - even Thatcher, in the same circumstances.  I may not like conservatism but I'm not going to discard my sense of fairness.
    Then I apologize for my erroneous presumption.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11476
    Clarity over quantity.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    If they genuinely can't get any traction playing the "terrorist sympathiser" angle, what on earth makes these wazzocks think that "meeting with Czech diplomats" is going to cut through with the public?  It's just a good old-fashioned smear, and sop for their more rabid readership.  
    I voted Labour at the last election so I don't have an axe to grind. However, this allegation appears to be true. Corbyn is not making a comment and the leak comes from abroad, not the UK. This is not the British security services smearing Corbyn - it looks like there's more to come. Corbyn's only response is he wants greater control over the press.
    p90fool said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Why is meeting a foreign diplomat "treason"? Were there ANY diplomats from behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War who weren't involved in their own country's secret service? 

I don't think it would've been possible to talk to anyone without accidentally meeting a "spy". 

I don't think Corbyn is the brightest either, but this does smack of press desperation. Ironically, I think Corbyn's ship has sailed, all the press are doing is keeping his support alive a bit longer with this nonsense. 
    Cold War. The diplomat in question was a spy. It was against UK law without permission which would never have been granted. The UK was embarrassed over the Cambridge Five so the thought that a serving MP was meeting enemies of the state would not have gone down well with Britain's allies or the public at the time.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32822
    Fretwired said:

MI5 claim they knew about Corbyn but I wonder if they did .. I'm sure this would have come out earlier.
    Presumably they considered it of no importance or threat to national security.

It's really quite laughable that anyone is trying to make anything of it now, it shows the level of desperation in the Murdoch/Dacre club.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Fretwired said:
    I voted Labour at the last election so I don't have an axe to grind. However, this allegation appears to be true. Corbyn is not making a comment and the leak comes from abroad, not the UK. This is not the British security services smearing Corbyn - it looks like there's more to come. Corbyn's only response is he wants greater control over the press.
    When a Roman Catholic Conservative member of the Czech Defence Ministry with a quarter of a century's experience in going through Czechoslovakian intelligence reports says it's bullshit, I'm inclined to believe him. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/20/no-evidence-corbyn-was-spy-for-czechoslovakia-say-intelligence-experts
    Clarity over quantity.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It's irrelevant as Corbyn and his merry band of clowns couldn't run a bath yet alone a country, I'll never vote for him.

"...and the cost will be...err...err....err..."

"...I can hear you breathing down the hall"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Fretwired said:
    When a Roman Catholic Conservative member of the Czech Defence Ministry with a quarter of a century's experience in going through Czechoslovakian intelligence reports says it's bullshit, I'm inclined to believe him. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/20/no-evidence-corbyn-was-spy-for-czechoslovakia-say-intelligence-experts
    I think the point here is Corbyn didn't really have any important intelligence to trade. He was a backbench MP. His own side didn't trust him at the time. I believe it as he has a record of supporting some dubious individuals from the IRA, the idiot that runs Venezuela, the old Soviet regime. The problem right now is he is the only guy with some policies - May and co are too busy fighting a civil war which is only going to get worse. I think the party could split.
  • randellarandella Frets: 1848

I'll never vote for him.

And yet, even with the apparent failings of Corbyn, McDonnell, and Abbot (none of whom I've much time for despite my lifelong left leanings) May's shower came within a cat's cock hair of losing their shirts at the last election.

A piss-weak Tory party running the show propped up by dropping billions of £ on buying in some fringe religious lunatics.  A Labour party promising what it can't possibly deliver in order to Shanghai a few youth votes.  A Liberal Democrat party whose parliamentary crew would fit in the back of a medium-sized minicab.

Wake me up when it's over.

As for this smear campaign, I literally couldn't give less of a rat's arse.  Find me a recent successful politician who hasn't, at some point, sucked up to some wonky murderous regime.
    No, the important point here is whether the allegations made by the spy as reported by these newspapers are true or false. It's a pretty open and shut case.
    Clarity over quantity.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Corbyn has finally admitted they met ... Robert Peston (who is to the left of Corbyn) had a go at him ... seems its true but in reality its a non-story. Supporting the IRA should have done him more harm but doesn't seem to have done. They are viewed as freedom fighters these days.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 8538
    Fretwired said:
    Supporting the IRA should have done him more harm but doesn't seem to have done. They are viewed as freedom fighters these days.
    He supported TALKS with the IRA, which eventually turned out to be the only thing that worked. 

Some smears never rub off, do they? 
  • p90fool said:
    Fretwired said:
    Supporting the IRA should have done him more harm but doesn't seem to have done. They are viewed as freedom fighters these days.
    He supported TALKS with the IRA, which eventually turned out to be the only thing that worked. 

you attend one CND rally and...
    "...I can hear you breathing down the hall"
    p90fool said:
    Fretwired said:

See his Sky interview .. it's on YouTube. He was asked to denounce the IRA numerous times - he refused to. And many of the comments about his links with the IRA come from his own party.

It's a matter of record that he regularly attended the annual Connolly Sands commemoration in London to honour dead IRA terrorists and support imprisoned IRA prisoners of war. It's a matter of record on his views about British military action.

I'd love to see some evidence that he had talks or that he achieved anything - Thatcher was talking to the IRA and Major made progress. Corbyn wasn't involved. It doesn't matter as the public don't care so the Torygraph is wasting its time.

I think Corbyn is a sincere man, I just think he is naive and he probably never thought he'd be the leader of the Labour Party. When he becomes PM he won't be around for long due to his age so McDonnell or Starmer will take over. The Tories are unelectable.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32822
    Personally, I think it's vastly more important to sort out the mess over the Irish border in the present day without the DUP being able to twist May's arm and possibly wrecking the peace process, than it is to bother about who said what and met who thirty years ago.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    ICBM said:
    Personally, I think it's vastly more important to sort out the mess over the Irish border in the present day without the DUP being able to twist May's arm and possibly wrecking the peace process, than it is to bother about who said what and met who thirty years ago.
    That's kind of my point .. nobody cares any more.
    p90fool said:
    Fretwired said:

I attended one Steps concert. That makes me far more of a threat than Corbyn. 

Clarity over quantity.  
    p90fool said:
    Fretwired said:

I attended one Steps concert. That makes me far more of a threat than Corbyn. 

Corbyn was never a threat .. he's a pacifist.
    So you're saying there's no difference between Corbyn and H from Steps then. 

Clarity over quantity.