Corbyn smear campaign

What's Hot
167891012»

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 2090
       I think Thomas was commenting on the "future is red" point based around deaths and births., i.e that although 2% of mainly Tory voting people die and 2% of mainly Labour voting youngsters become eligible to vote, he's making the point that the population in between those groups is itself ageing and the Tories would pick up votes because of that.

Plus, of course, its all about population distribution and the FPTP system. If all the new young voters live in the same few places, it won't make much difference to the number of seats Labour win, they'll just get massive vote shares in a small number of constituencies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 15348

You're quite right on the bulks going down in hotels and other places. People are not paying for news on a daily basis as they once used to do. However they do pay for news in major situations. The Times experimented with reducing paywalled content after the EU referendum and subscription figures jumped markedly once the paywall came back a few days later. The same with true after the last General Election. So there is an argument that people will pay for good quality journalism. The Times is doing a lot better than the Telegraph, not surprising when you consider how lousy the leadership at the Telegraph has been over the last few years. Some magazines on the other hand are doing very well. Private Eye hit its highest circulation ever last year, the Economist and the Spectator are doing well as are other political and economic magazines so that tells you something about people looking for quality of content. 

When newspapers die, one wonders how they will be replaced. Much has been said about bloggers and amateur investigative journalism but these will never have the power to break stories like the Panama Papers for instance. Perhaps the death of newsprint strengthens the need for a state broadcaster. 
    The Times does well because people like me are forced to read it. The quality of the journalism and English is laughable.

The Telegraph is a joke - it seems to syndicate stories from the Daily Mail.

The Guardian is the last bastion of decent journalism.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 10684
    Fretwired said:

You're quite right on the bulks going down in hotels and other places. People are not paying for news on a daily basis as they once used to do. However they do pay for news in major situations. The Times experimented with reducing paywalled content after the EU referendum and subscription figures jumped markedly once the paywall came back a few days later. The same with true after the last General Election. So there is an argument that people will pay for good quality journalism. The Times is doing a lot better than the Telegraph, not surprising when you consider how lousy the leadership at the Telegraph has been over the last few years. Some magazines on the other hand are doing very well. Private Eye hit its highest circulation ever last year, the Economist and the Spectator are doing well as are other political and economic magazines so that tells you something about people looking for quality of content. 

When newspapers die, one wonders how they will be replaced. Much has been said about bloggers and amateur investigative journalism but these will never have the power to break stories like the Panama Papers for instance. Perhaps the death of newsprint strengthens the need for a state broadcaster. 
    The Times does well because people like me are forced to read it. The quality of the journalism and English is laughable.

Is being forced to read the Times part of your parole conditions or just an undisclosed kink? 

I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Fretwired said:

Is being forced to read the Times part of your parole conditions or just an undisclosed kink? 

I actually get paid for doing it ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Fretwired said:
    A Book at Bedtime. "And this week's Fretwired reads from the May 9th edition of the Times newspaper"...
    Fretwired said:
    A Book at Bedtime. "And this week's Fretwired reads from the May 9th edition of the Times newspaper"...
    There's a thought .. I also have to read the Telegraph and the Guardian but luckily not the Daily Fail or Red Tops ...
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    There's a thought .. I also have to read the Telegraph and the Guardian but luckily not the Daily Fail or Red Tops ...
    I really enjoy reading the Sun. It's like reading children's books when you're an adult and seeing all the hidden stories in the basic language. In this house, the Times is always around, the Grauniad, the i, and the Mail for comedy purposes. Private Eye turns up on the doorstep, the Economist gets scoured at the library, and I'm rather enjoying the online magazine borrowing from the same library. It's one of the best things about moving back to London, how much more material the libraries have done here. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5096
    May I respectfully disagree? Today in a variety of calls I spoke to folks sitting in India, Israel, Germany, Ireland, Costa Rica, US and Canada. I usually work in to these meetings "How are things where you are?" So I am neither a hermit nor a shy wallflower. 

However, I cannot remember the last time I read a newspaper.  I simply disposed of the habit one day many years ago when I determined that they are just vexations to the spirit.  Many of my friends are the same, relying on Sky News or BBC websites rather than newspapers or TV.  For us oldies at least, the newspaper is as much a thing of the past as landline phones or watching live TV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Chalky said:

However, I cannot remember the last time I read a newspaper.  I simply disposed of the habit one day many years ago when I determined that they are just vexations to the spirit.  Many of my friends are the same, relying on Sky News or BBC websites rather than newspapers or TV.  For us oldies at least, the newspaper is as much a thing of the past as landline phones or watching live TV.
    I think that's true of a lot of people, especially young people who rely on their tech to connect to the outside world .. I'd say the BBC has more input than the Times or Daily Mail.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 728
    edited May 13
    Fretwired said:
    Chalky said:
    I think that's true of a lot of people, especially young people who rely on their tech to connect to the outside world .. I'd say the BBC has more input than the Times or Daily Mail.
    All media is propaganda, and you have to know how to navigate your way through the maze of fact and fiction. I find Twitter useful, and I follow both left and right leaning accounts in equal numbers. They normally post links to media articles, which is generally followed by a points scoring discussion with plenty of bias either way.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 728
    edited May 13
    Heartfeltdawn said:
    Perhaps the death of newsprint strengthens the need for a state broadcaster. 
    Yep, if you want to know what's going on in Russia you follow the American state broadcaster, and if you want to know about America you follow the Russian one

Here is a recent Politico article about the demise of the newspaper industry ..

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/13/denver-post-profits-newspaper-industry-218360