This is how to keep a band going when you are the only original member left

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
As an old prog head I'm a big fan of wonderful 70s dinosaurs ELP. Sadly Emerson and Lake are no longer with us, but I love the way that Carl Palmer has kept the music going with "Carl Palmer's ELP legacy". Basically he has reinvented the music by having no keyboards at all, just electric guitar! Everything sounds so different, it really has freshened the old back catalogue up.

Here's a video of them playing The Barbarian. I don't expect anyone to survive past 30 seconds max, it's an acquired taste, but I have to say the Carl is still in superb form as a drummer.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Note to self: watch this when you get home from work!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I managed to watch/listen all the way through. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    2 mins 25. it's not that bad!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    All of it :).

The biggest problem is the mix - I know it's meant to be all "about him", but the drums are slightly too loud and dry-sounding, and the guitar is much too quiet and boxy... as a result it lacks the power and space it should have.

He's still really good though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I gotta say that Carl Palmer's left hand grip looks so darned awkward!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2365
    I lasted till the end, but couldn't help thinking how great it would have been with Guthrie Govan on guitar.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    1:46...

It's not bad though, dudes can clearly play their instruments!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I watched it all. Go Bielatowicz! @Strat54 I'd love to see that, too!
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited February 2018
    Strat54 said:
    I lasted till the end, but couldn't help thinking how great it would have been with Guthrie Govan on guitar.
    I think you do guitarist Paul Bielatowicz a genuine disservice.

However, I might suggest that a guitarist who's not so fixated with his technique, but one who plays a little more on instinct/the edge could have brought some humanity to the piece. Especially as I thought it was a rather clinical performance. But I did listen to it all.

However, I am pleased to hear Carl Palmer still at it. I'd kinda forgotten about him, and this re-imagining of Barbarian reminds us what a fantastic and talented musician he is.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Carl is still incredible.
    The guitarist can certainly play but has a terrible, weedy sound that doesn't sit with that incredible bass sound.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    impmann said:

The guitarist can certainly play but has a terrible, weedy sound that doesn't sit with that incredible bass sound.
    Exactly - you just said it more neatly than I did :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    I've never heard the original, but I quite enjoyed this.  I don't think the guitar sounds too quiet or weedy, but I wish it had a bit more grit to it.