Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Old Grey Whistle Test Live.

What's Hot
proggyproggy Frets: 5835
This Friday 21:00 on BBC4.
Bob Harris hosts a live tribute to the series with special guests and rare archive footage.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I hope it's full of prog rock hippy shit

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope it's full of prog rock hippy shit
    If I were a TV watcher, that would suit me just fine :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    I hope it's full of prog rock hippy shit
    If I were a TV watcher, that would suit me just fine :)
    I am a TV watcher and it would suit me just fine too.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Richard Thompson’s on it. That’s good enough for me. Not Prog, but perhaps a touch of hippy. (Well, he was in a ‘folk’ band)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "There will be music from Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson and Albert Lee - who all performed on the show. Bob will be speaking to them and other guests, including Dave Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Ian Anderson, Kiki Dee, Chris Difford and Danny Baker, plus singer Mollie Marriott, Pink Floyd animator Ian Emes and Mike Appleton who produced the original series."
    Link to my trading feedback

Oh fucking hell, Danny Baker.  That's ruined it.

I hope he doesn't speak to any of the artists, he'll be desperate to show that he knows more about their own careers than they do.

• Philly_Q said:

Oh fucking hell, Danny Baker.  That's ruined it.

I hope he doesn't speak to any of the artists, he'll be desperate to show that he knows more about their own careers than they do.

He did those album programmes in BBC4 a few years ago and was just awful as a presenter, talked all over everyone. Hopefully it won't be too much of him. 

Richard Thompson seems to be in good form still so I shall look forward to that, Albert Lee is gigging near me in April and I'm currently contemplating tickets so be interesting to see how he is now. I did see him years ago, my memory of which was great guitarist buy very dull performer. It was how I learned about tap tempo though, Albert would take a minute between each song to sort his delay out with the drummer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Cool. Danny Baker is actually a really nice guy in real life - and nowhere near as annoying as some make him out to be.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Cool. Danny Baker is actually a really nice guy in real life - and nowhere near as annoying as some make him out to be.
    I really quite like him as a personality ( and used to love him on R5 once upon a time) but he is pretty awful at interviewing. However, presumably he won't be doing the interviewing on Friday night so I can just enjoy his wit and wisdom. 

I still hear his 5 Live show on Saturday mornings and find him intensely irritating (yes I know I could switch it off).  He pisses about, states his own opinions or ideas as facts, constantly makes little digs at the BBC and doesn't pay attention to what the callers or interviewees are saying.  If he didn't have a studio sidekick (Louise Pepper usually) the whole thing would collapse.

Maybe he's fine in different circumstances but I wish he'd retire from broadcasting.

Anyway, I hope his appearance on OGWT is a brief one.

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    If you read the article on the BBC website it states 

“Danny Baker will be singing his own songs backed by a one off OGWT supergroup of Ian Paice on drums, Neil Tennent on keyboards, Glenn Hughes on bass and Polly Jean Harvey on guitar.”

I could have misread that, of course...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:

“Danny Baker will be singing his own songs backed by a one off OGWT supergroup of Ian Paice on drums, Neil Tennent on keyboards, Glenn Hughes on bass and Polly Jean Harvey on guitar.”

Yes, but just think how great it would be if you hadn't...   ;)
    AlexC said:

It sounds like hell on earth... but I would watch it.  ;)

Having said that, if we were looking for a 5 Live presenter who genuinely fancies himself as a top drawer musician and songwriter.... I give you Nicholas Andrew Argyll Campbell, OBE.  Another knob who thinks he's a world expert on music.  Every time some musical luminary pops his clogs old Nicky starts spouting away like he's their biggest fan... "Ooh, that D to B minor chord change, Rachel...".  Wanker.

Sorry, I am derailing this thread.  Apologies to Whispering Bob.  He never made it all about him.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Excellent. Cheers for the heads up @proggy ;
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    @Deadman No problem mate.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27469
    Philly_Q said:

Apologies to Whispering Bob.  He never made it all about him.
    Wis'd.  Old Bob came from the BC era.

Before Celebrity.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Watched it last night, it was terrible just a load of people plugging their shit. Apart from RT who is as always excellent.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Watched it last night, it was terrible just a load of people plugging their shit. Apart from RT who is as always excellent.
    Plus ça change
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Not the most rewarding 3 hours I’ve ever spent, but it had its moments. 

Some of the clips confirmed how much fantastic stuff they’ve got in the archives that they’ve never put out on DVD. Yes, you can get OGWT volumes 1-3 and they’re good, but where’s volumes 4, 5, 6 etc - they clearly have tons more great stuff that they could release.

Mind you, I could also ask where’s volumes 2, 3 and 4 of The Tube - I’m sure they must also have some good stuff in their archives. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched it last night, it was terrible just a load of people plugging their shit. Apart from RT who is as always excellent.
    Watched some of it last night, rest on iPlayer this morning. Yeh, pretty much that^.
    Needed more of the archive clips,especially the lesser seen ones. Lovely that they played the Marley song in full but I’ve seen it a lot of times. I enjoyed the bits with Tom Robinson about the history of the show and the bits with the animator and about the archive film guy. It was a three hour show with a good one hour show contained within it. 
    Hopefully the next step would be to make more use of the archive although I’m not holding my breath waiting.