Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you buy a new Gibson?

What's Hot
Following on from the ‘Gibson Fooked’ thread, does this news kill off sales of new Gibson’s?

Are prices of existing stock going to take a nosedive or will they fly off the shelves as the last of the ‘original’ Gibson’s.

Would you buy a new Gibson today?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    No, but not because of their current predicament, I simply would not spend that sort of money on a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I just did buy a new Gibson a few weeks ago.

I don't think their warranty even applies in Britain even if I didn't mod it so wouldn't let the business thing affect my purchase.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I generally wouldn’t buy any new guitar - purely because used ones are much better value. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Glooper said:

No, all the local shops are shut at this time of the evening.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    Glooper said:

No, all the local shops are shut at this time of the evening.
    I'm struggling to find a local shop that's still stocking Gibson's. They all seem to have stopped taking stock in from them fur the last year or so

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Yes, because many of them are bloody nice.

i still wouldn’t but one unseen (unless it was £285 on Amazon, apparently), but that’s been true for as long as I have been playing guitar.  Nothing to do with their current financial woes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Yeah, why not? If I found one I really liked and had some spare cash, sure.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yes, but I already have two so I don't need a third. Gibson will survive as a guitar maker as it is profitable. It's the debt and crap that sits around it. I bet Chapter 11 will be the first step on the road to recovery.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    Saw a new Gibson Firebird that I liked the look of, ran my fingers down the edge of the fretboard, and it nearly drew blood. I think I will pass.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I bought one of the 2016 Amazon specials, in 2016. If I didn’t own the Gibson’s I do own, then yes, I most likely would. Why wouldn’t I?
    My reason for not buying one now, is that there’s nothing I either need, or could justify to myself. I could probably do with selling some stuff, but I don’t think I can be arsed..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Regardless of the short term and long term situation regarding ownership and the running of the company, I can't see a price dumping policy on regular best selling models - Maybe some slow selling models or unpopular colours, but not key stock - It would undermine any progress after that, trying to establish a stock and profitable pricing policy, be it in the USA, EU UK or anywhere else, if they are having to compete with key dealers offering clearance stock at vastly reduced prices

Who will own Gibson in 3-6 months time then who knows - Someone will own it and that is pretty much a fact - I can't see any established guitar brands buying it as I don't believe they have the necessary funding available to them - But any new potential owner will not have to worry about establishing a brand in the market place
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    No, but mainly because nothing they do is of any interest to me.

With the very notable exception of the '58 or '59 reissue ES-335.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Yes absolutely, but only Custom Shop. I don't get out of bed for anything less.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I would buy a Historic without hesitation, if the specs were right... and they weren't so expensive.

I wouldn't buy any of the current Gibson USA models.  The annual overhaul of the range confuses me (sorry for moaning about that again) so there may be one or two hidden gems, but they all seem to have at least one feature which puts me off.
  • Probably not because they don’t have any models that meet the specs I want - for the same or less money elsewhere there are better options for me.

I do like several Gibsons though. LPs, 335s, many of the acoustics. I think Explorers look great
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Not new... however I would get a second hand 335 if the right one came along...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Nah. Gibson basses are terrible.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    If they made a model I wanted at a price I could afford and justify, definitely.

But they don’t. Apart from the Dove, which I already have.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Yes  of course.Havent played a bad one yet .