Best Fender 10/56 style neck?

What's Hot
I'm itching to get another partsa build going, but am stuck on getting a neck. I used to have a CS Start with 10/56 neck which I absolutely loved (forced sale, and it still hurts) so looking to replicate that feel.

Where can I get one without paying absurd CS prices? Is the USACG one going to be the right profile? Do any other builders (preferably UK-based) make em? Looking to spend max £250. Thanks for your helps.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The 50s Classic Series Strat has a soft V neck profile.  Don't know if it's the same as the CS 10/56 though.  Might be an option if you can find one.
  • @crunchman Looks like the right kind of profile, but I'm after 9.5" radius and bigger frets. Should have said really!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @lonestar knows a man who (probably) can...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    Classic player 50s strats (as opposed to Classic Series) have soft V shape neck and 9.5 radius, gave me wrist ache but if thats your bag look for CP50s neck.
  • Ed O’Brien strat has it, otherwise I don’t think any do. Maybe the new AVRI replacements?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Ed O’Brien strat has it, otherwise I don’t think any do. Maybe the new AVRI replacements?

I think the new American Original 50s Strat would match your requirements but you probably won't find a neck second hand.  New you are pretty much at used Custom Shop money - which would hold value a lot better.
  • crunchman said:
    I think the new American Original 50s Strat would match your requirements but you probably won't find a neck second hand.  New you are pretty much at used Custom Shop money - which would hold value a lot better.
    I’ve not played an American Original yet - but the 56 Pure Vintage model felt very different to the CS version. It had a lot more ‘shoulder’ so it felt a lot chunkier than the CS 10/56, even though the overall depth was probably pretty much the same.
  • Heard the Hank Marvin necks are similar.  The CP 50's was nowhere near in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10/56 rosewood 9.5 radius with medium jumbo frets would be my dream neck...
  • I suppose I could get an allparts fat, reprofile it, and refret it. I'd rather do that than strip poly off a CP50s. Any experience of the USACG one? 
  • I suppose I could get an allparts fat, reprofile it, and refret it. I'd rather do that than strip poly off a CP50s. Any experience of the USACG one? 
    Probably your cheapest option. Let me now how it goes  :#
  • Have you tried speccing out something from Musikraft or Warmoth?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    USACG are awesome quality and you can spec what your want. Pricy these days though
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    I suppose I could get an allparts fat, reprofile it, and refret it. I'd rather do that than strip poly off a CP50s. Any experience of the USACG one? 
    The CP50s I had was quite noticeably shallower than a 10/56, at both the 1st and 12th frets.  Even more so, I'd imagine, after removing that thick goopy finish.

Never tried one, but I'd guess the Warmoth Boatneck profile is along the right lines.  And not too pricey if you buy an unfinished, plain maple one from stock - $157 I think, plus shipping and import charges of course.  22 frets and 10" to 16" compound radius, though.

• As a matter of interest does anyone know the 1st and 12th depth measurements for the 10/56 neck?
  • @Zoolooter From memory, .86" at the 1st fret, and .98" at the 12th.

@redrighthand Neither Warmoth nor Musikraft do that profile as far as I could work out. USACG were you only ones who explicitly stated that they do a 10/56. 

@Philly_Q Yes, I was thinking the CP50s wouldn't be big enough. At $157 + postage And import charges for the boat neck from warmoth, I might as well stump up the extra £40 for the USACG, though the accuracy of the profile concerns me.

As does the whole hit and miss nature of partsas - it could just end up being a bland old thing, and which a shitty resale value. I've only really loved a couple of CS strats, and don't fancy my chances of replicating that exact feel myself. Hmmmm, a tricky one. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Zoolooter said:
    As a matter of interest does anyone know the 1st and 12th depth measurements for the 10/56 neck?
    0.880" and 0.980", I believe.  You can do the cm if you like!
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    edited February 2018

@redrighthand Neither Warmoth nor Musikraft do that profile as far as I could work out. USACG were you only ones who explicitly stated that they do a 10/56. 
    I think musikraft do a 10/56V. Listed in the other section as "10/56  LG V 88 98"

http://79dbae061dacae723a04-5800ec8c9498effcf7ed5850bbb92c96.r18.cf5.rackcdn.com/mk.pdf

EDIT: @Philly_Q is right too with 0.880" - 0.980"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Dan - not sure how I missed that. Comes in at around £250 with postage and duty. Maybe I'll just do it.
    Dan said:
    I think musikraft do a 10/56V. Listed in the other section as "10/56  LG V 88 98"

http://79dbae061dacae723a04-5800ec8c9498effcf7ed5850bbb92c96.r18.cf5.rackcdn.com/mk.pdf

That's an excellent chart of neck profiles!  I must save a copy when I get home.

Illustrates the subtle (and not-so subtle) differences between C, V, U and D profiles very nicely (although I'm struggling to think what "BG" stands for...)