Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cinema seating

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
So, I went the cinema last night, and as always was asked where I'd like to sit - front, back, centre, isles. Back centre was my reply and always will be if the seats are available. But it strikes me that people do choose to sit elsewhere. And no, not necessarily for sexy fun time.

Anyway, unless you're claustrophobic or retarded, I don't understand why anyone would want to choose to sit other than at the back middle. At the front, you're just craning your neck and have absolutely no perspective. As for the isles, then to some degree you're losing the effect of surround sound.

Anyone else think this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    edited February 2018
    Near the back and centre for me too, though my g/f likes to be on the aisle so it's easier to go to the toilet.
    My local cinema doesn't have allocated seating so it's first come first served which sometimes means we end up nearer the front or over to the side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I don’t go right for the back as if you’re going to get a group of morons this is where they’d normally be. I normally go for about 3/4 rows
    from the back, and centre. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    In our local cinema the majority of the rows . slope down towards the screen. However, the back few rows are flat so if you're in the back row the people in front of you are in the way. You're actually better off a few rows forward. Still in the centre though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I don’t go anymore. Normally full of teen morons and I had to remortgage the bloody house after I paid for tickets, popcorn,drinks and snacks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't like the very back as it buggers up the surround sound, and if the screen isn't humungous it can actually feel quite small. 

Right in the middle, somewhere between halfway and 2/3 the way up is usually the best spot.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Middle, but no further back than half way.

Right at the back, I feel like I don't get the full "big screen" experience - plus as @stickyfiddle said, the sound isn't the best.

Right at the front I get neck-ache, and fast action can make my eyes hurt.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    You pay more for seats at the back in some cinemas round here, so I tend to go for the back row of the cheap seats.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    As central in the seating as I can get. Best surround sound, usually looking straight ahead(ish) and a pretty good all round experience as long as you don't need the toilet!

• Aisle if poss. I can stretch my legs out better. But if I can see on seating plan where other people are I'll go for somewhere that isn't in front or behind another person. The viewing angle doesn't make much difference to me. When I used to go to the cinema several times a week I had a favoured seat that was right up against the wall - there wasn't room for a seat in front of it so had loads of leg room.
  • If you are lucky enough to have a local Showcase with X-Plus, that greatly reduces the problem of bad seats. But yeah, generally I try to book middle rows, centre seats.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    If the cinema is stadium seating, as most modern screens are, the best seats are generally middle, middle.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I like an isle so I can stretch out and get some air round my scrotum...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

There's always the possibility of sitting next to someone munching on hot dogs and nachos, cheese sauce dripping down their chin. It puts me right off. The air was less toxic when you could smoke.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    57Deluxe said:
    I like an isle so I can stretch out and get some air round my scrotum...

Make sure the lights are down first, eh?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2018
    Kilgore said:
    Middle middle, but 'm not much of a fan of the modern cinema experience.
    <edit> The air was less toxic when you could smoke.
    "Patrons are reminded that the right hand side of the cinema is reserved for smoking only."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    edited February 2018

Both of the local cinemas are branches of Everyman so they have sofas and quite a lot of leg room. We tend to sit centre back. Although I avoid it as much as possible as it's so bloody expensive.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    This picture was taken in the Radio City Music Hall in New York City, seating capacity 6000, and should give you an idea where I like to sit in theatres and cinemas - centre back, or as close as possible. 

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/rocktron1948/P1030760_zpswz1g7odg.jpg
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    My local cinema is run by Volunteers and is cheap as chips. Its a old picture house but has 2 small and 1 large screen. its about £3.90 a tkt. The small cinema is like being sat on an aeroplane  though the screen is a decent size. BUT  THE SOUND! FFS Turn it down my old ears cant take it.
    Its louder than the arse end of a 747 right down your lug hole.

• Middle / middle is usually OK for me. We had to sit at the front for Breaking The Waves, which was awful because a lot of that movie is filmed with "wobble-cam".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.