ORIGIN FX...OVERDRIVE

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 1819
    Yep, can clearly hear the ghosting, sounds like an awful low pitched kazoo tone - why anyone would purposely add that to their sound is beyond me! Just because it was a limitation of the design when old amps were built doesn’t mean it’s good!
    Pretty much the whole concept of the rock guitar sound is based on flaws in valve amplifiers. This is just one of those flaws.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 777
    Yep, can clearly hear the ghosting, sounds like an awful low pitched kazoo tone - why anyone would purposely add that to their sound is beyond me! Just because it was a limitation of the design when old amps were built doesn’t mean it’s good!
    Pretty much the whole concept of the rock guitar sound is based on flaws in valve amplifiers. This is just one of those flaws.

R.
    Totally agree, but some flaws sound good, some don’t. Would you add mains hum, or the risk of an electric shock to a pedal to get that “real valve amp” kudos ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 186
    Ordered the standard pedal and f/switch last week.....postie watching!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 182
    JonHosker said:
    Ordered the standard pedal and f/switch last week.....postie watching!!

Bravo, sir. We’re all keen to hear your take on the pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 448
    edited May 2
    BBBlues said:
    I'd put this in the same camp as the Ethos Overdrive: too much £££ for an overdrive, not practical enough to replace what other digital stuff can do. e.g Helix etc

The Ethos isn't just an overdrive.  It's a pre-amp, an interface ...and a lifesaver.  And - even if it was only an overdrive - it'd still be the best money I've ever spent on anything guitar-related.  It does everything from subtle break-up, though smooth, then shouty and onto obnoxious OD, ending up at out-and-out monster fuzz.

It also has the most luscious and beautiful, super wide and deep Hi-Fi clean sound of any pedal, rack pre, desk or amp I've ever used, seen or heard.

Obviously, as an owner, I'm invested - but I've had it for years now and I can honestly say (and I'm a pedal G.A.S. sufferer in extremis!) that I've yet to hear anything that even comes close to replacing it.

...not even a Hudson Broadcast!  :o :o :o
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 131

R.
    Totally agree, but some flaws sound good, some don’t. Would you add mains hum, or the risk of an electric shock to a pedal to get that “real valve amp” kudos ;-)
    When the ghosting is added in, the pedal immediately sounds more amp-realistic to me.

I am torn on whether to order one of these, or wait for other versions to come out. I bought a big-box Cali76 a few years ago, but eventually the Compact version bumped it off my board for space reasons. Will there be a 'Compact' single-channel version? Or a rack version? And can I live without a Revival Drive in the meantime?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1309
    ^^ I spoke to Origin on this very subject a few weeks back and there are no such plans for the foreseeable. The next possible idea is a bass version of the Revival but even that is a fair way off because the R&D takes so long

JohnPerry said:
    ^^ I spoke to Origin on this very subject a few weeks back and there are no such plans for the foreseeable. The next possible idea is a bass version of the Revival but even that is a fair way off because the R&D takes so long
    That's it, I'm going to order one!
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 13
    I can’t imagine that there are ‘two pedals under the single fascia’ simply waiting to be split, and offered as single channel options.

The original big box Cali76 was hand built and soldered, whereas my understanding is that the RD is already built using the techniques of the small box Cali76.

• damm73damm73 Frets: 89
    I got the custom version and I love it. Forced a total rethink of my pedalboard and it's now the only OD pedal I have on there (not counting an HX effects and 3 fuzzes). 

I didn't fancy shelling out another £90 for the official footswitch though. I mean it's just a 2 button footswitch for crying out loud! 

So I've been using the footswitch from a CAA amp. Seems to work ok...most of the time.  The left button will engage the mid boost, just like on the official pedal, except every 1 out of 4/5 presses, it turns the pedal off.  

Same for the right button...it will engage the blend override feature but will also randomly switch the active channel on the pedal. 

It's just a basic TRS 2 button footswtich. So is there something about the official footswitch that's more involved? Does it have clever electronics that make it know to only stick to the one function for every single press of a specific button?  Maybe that's worth the £90 then after all? 

Or is it more likely that I just have a faulty footswitch? If so what's likely to be the problem?  I've tried half a dozen different TRS cables with the same result. 
    damm73 said:
    I got the custom version and I love it. Forced a total rethink of my pedalboard and it's now the only OD pedal I have on there (not counting an HX effects and 3 fuzzes). 

You're not counting those? Ha ha, we won't either then!
    Well I'm not using any of the drives in the HX and fuzz is not OD so yeah. :)
  • We’re filming a video with Simon Keats tomorrow, it’ll be mainly on the drive pedal, so any questions then let us know 
    edited June 27
    Phoned Origin to ask about the behaviour I'm seeing with my footswitch and it turns out that it is by design.  You can actually control all four functions, i.e. mid boost, blend override, bypass state and active channel from remote switching devices like the G2 or ES8 using a remote switcher interface accessory. 

Alternatively, if you only need to control mid boost and blend override functions, you just need a proprietary switcher cable which has resistors in series with the tip and sleeve connections. 

It's all on their website here.  

These accessories are not available yet so I guess I'll have a go at making my own cable in the meantime.
    I've ordered mine, being delivered this Friday as I shall be in.
  • Here’s our video with Simon.
    https://youtu.be/QfA3k5aNsMM
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 366
    edited July 27
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is my Revival Drive. It’s not the full on cranked amp tone that most of the demos so far seem to concentrate on so if you want to hear a Strat doing some Jazzabilly type tone go and have a listen. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm38-2018-07
    Rowby1 said:
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is my Revival Drive. It’s not the full on cranked amp tone that most of the demos so far seem to concentrate on so if you want to hear a Strat doing some Jazzabilly type tone go and have a listen. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm38-2018-07
    I like!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1395
    The more demos I watch the more I want one. Very close to pulling the trigger!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 219
    Gagaryn said:
    The more demos I watch the more I want one. Very close to pulling the trigger!
    Ditto
    Been using mine daily. As it's for my home studio, I then had to go and spend another wedge on a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB, as none of my analog speaker sim boxes did it justice. My favourite sound so far can be found at 7.00 in this vid:

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 3964
    Keefy said:
    Been using mine daily. As it's for my home studio, I then had to go and spend another wedge on a TwoNotes Torpedo CAB, as none of my analog speaker sim boxes did it justice. My favourite sound so far can be found at 7.00 in this vid:

One of the best videos I’ve seen 
    This is how I'm using mine, although I have to say the results don't sound as fab as Mr Tubbs here:

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 386
    Keefy said:
    This is how I'm using mine, although I have to say the results don't sound as fab as Mr Tubbs here:
    Would you mind explaining it a bit more? Do you go direct for recording or live applications? Seriously considering giving it a try if I could pair my hx fx and maybe some clean amp emulation to go direct to FoH for a ultra small setup

You use the PWR AMP setting for going into a PA or DAW but you still need some kind of speaker simulation in between. If you are plugging into a guitar amp, you select EQ1 or EQ2 (and use the settings on the Custom panel if you have that model) to match the pedal to your amp.

If you are considering a purchase, it is well worth working through Simon Keats's videos, which start here: