Changing a Strat neck

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 44
edited February 24 in Making & Modding
I recently picked up a Stratocaster (a Partscaster really) from Andy Preston at WudTone - which is by far the nicest sounding Stratocaster I have ever played. It features his wonderful 'constant pivot' tremolo (which really stays in tune) and 'proper' single coils by Wudtone with A5 / A3 magnets - as opposed to the Kinmans I usually play.  Andy has done a beautiful job with this guitar - and he's a great guy to deal with too, a real gentleman.

The guitar had been pre-assembled - I asked him to send it over so I could get an idea of how his guitars sound prior to placing a custom order. But this one is really special - and I'm keeping it...

Everything except the neck is perfect for me (I prefer a slimmer profile, flatter radius and jumbo frets).

I'm very tempted to pick up a neck from Warmoth - of similar woods etc.  But I'm a bit worried that it might drastically alter the sound of this guitar - should that be the case, I'd be happy to live with the current neck - the guitar really does sound that good...

One option is of course to re-radius the current fingerboard and re-fret it - but it's an awful lot of work.

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 1873
    Changing the neck would alter the tone, sometimes drastically and sometimes not, it’s one of “those” things iyswim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3328
    jaymenon said:
    this one is really special - and I'm keeping it.
    This is the smart way to choose guitars.

If the original plan was to place a custom order with Andy Preston, ask whether he thinks he could get the same sounds from a similar guitar with your preferred neck profile by changing other components to compensate. (I suspect not.)

"It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1018
    I've got a partscaster with a Warmoth neck - it is really good!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32848
    If you want to try it, change the neck. The worst it will do is cost you money and time - you can always put the original one back on.

Never irreversibly alter a guitar you love - changes to the wood, even quite small ones, can drastically alter the resonance. If it’s great now it can only go one way...

It *may* not do, but you only find that out when you can’t go back.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 44
     All good  and thought provoking points, Thanks guys…

I have two telecasters on which I swapped the necks around to see what the effects would be. I was to admit that the tonal effects (unplugged/ acoustically) are very subtle indeed...

Perhaps I’ll try that Warmoth neck after all