470k Resistor, Or...

What's Hot
Finished another partscaster, but have screwed the electrics slightly - I think that I've used the wrong resistor.  I'm trying to include 2 470k resistors as per this diagram:

I ordered and fitted what I thought were the right ones from Ebay, but in the 2 SC positions the output is nothing but mud - really, really muddy, with almost no output...  Humbucker position is awesome.

I snipped the 2 resistors out of the circuit to finish everything off, and it all works fab - but the SCs are just that little too bit too bright, and I know that'll annoy me.

I'm guessing I've fitted the wrong value resistors?

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Those appear to be 470 ohm - Yellow Violet Brown

You need Yellow Voilet Yellow!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    RiftAmps said:
    Those appear to be 470 ohm - Yellow Violet Brown

You need Yellow Voilet Yellow!
    Awesome - yeah, that's kinda what I thought...  Hence so resistive that hardly anything got through, I assume...
    Mark de Manbey

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    MrBump said:

Awesome - yeah, that's kinda what I thought...  Hence so resistive that hardly anything got through, I assume...
    Other way round - so *un*resistive that it drained almost the whole signal to ground.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK, so I've received and installed a couple of 470k resistors.

It's still really bright on the neck and bridge.  I don't think I've got anything wrong, but the difference with and without is negligible - I say negligible, I can't actually hear any difference with or without the resistors...

This is still a project, and I'm willing to play.

What else should I try?  I guess I could go with 300k pots throughout, and forget the resistors?  I've had these pickups in my Chavel, and I remember it sounding way better than this new build does.  I get that the maple neck might contribute to the brightness...  But the humbucker certainly isn't that bright.

Any ideas?
    Mark de Manbey

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    Try adding another 470K resistor in series with a .022uF cap, in parallel with the first resistor - if that makes sense! That will simulate the tone control value of a Strat as well as the volume control value.

250K pots will also help - although humbuckers are traditionally used with 500s, there's no reason you can't use 250s if you want to soften the tone a bit. Like the 470K resistors, it will make less of a difference than you probably imagine, but still useful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks, @ICBM. I'll have a play around. I'm actually getting what I want with the tone for the neck and middle pickups about half way off, which is fine really.
    Mark de Manbey