New video & song for a solo project I've decided to try

Hi guys, been a bit absent from here for the last few months but hopefully some of you remember me.

When I was a student I recorded an album under the name "Cirrus" (hence my username on this and pretty much every other forum I've ever been active on).

Since then, I've done loads of music in various bands, produced for other people, but pretty much sidelined my own solo stuff. For the last year or so my main band's been pretty slow, so I ended up with loads of songs building up and no real release for me. So, decided to start up the ol' solo project again.

This is the first song, called "Measure of a Man". It's a bit on the nose politically, but hopefully that doesn't put you off - it's just about how I feel about the coverage of the refugee crisis over the last few years.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hey dude,

I listened to this yesterday but didn't get a chance to comment.

I like the guitar arrangement in this against the vocals, especially from part that starts just before 3 minutes for the whole loud bit.

Nice work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Definitely a slow burner - I'm not put off by the subject matter - I like the lyrics. The loud bits are good .. :-) Maybe a little bit of guitar at the beginning of the song over the initial riff.

Nice work on the song and video.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Thanks both  :3

Yeah, I was trying to make the verses quite stark, in the hope that it'd suit the lyrics + delivery. But I admit that I've not exactly made it easy to bop along with - I think I basically write pop songs but with the sensibilities of prog, where you can take more liberties because people expect to have to try harder... if that makes sense. It's something I need to watch out for in the future. It's tough, because deliberately pushing the slow, brooding aspect of the verses I think does make the build coming out of the second chorus a bit more compelling.

Guitarfishbay, I'm quite pleased with the way the guitar in that section is able to have a bit more space, with the autoharp ringing out on the other side. And the gretsch that comes in halfway through that section on the right side, total happy accident but there's something about the midrange that makes it sit quite nicely in front of the mix.

The video was learning for me - my first one, so a lot of time spent just trying to work out what the hell Premiere Pro was even showing me at any given moment, let alone how to get it to do what I wanted it to.  =)