Cutting out sugar

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Just started a meat & greens only diet which cuts out all sugar, carbs and starch.

I've done this before as a health kick and felt amazing - tons of energy, slept incredibly well, minor illnesses cleared up - and this time want to make it more of a permanent shift.

I went cold turkey last time, and coming off carbs was like heroin withdrawal (I assume!). This time I've cut back gradually. 

Anyone tried this? 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was thinking of attempting this as a "Carnivorous January" but I never got around to it. I have been paleo-ish for about 6 years so it wouldn't be a huge switch but I do like rice with me curry! And chocolate and bananas and cheese and double cream and and....
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    edited February 2018
    I’ve been High fat very low carb for six months (sub 5% carbs). Zero alcohol.  Lost two stone.  Best thing is the effect on joints.  Joint pain gone, and more flexible.  Still got a knackered back though. 

Worst thing, I’ve not eaten meat since 1982, so diet is restrictive.  But, wifey and I are both good cooks.  

Shes pretty bored of it though.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Yup.
    Been doing this since December.
    I'm back down to 72kg.

45 years old, size 32" waist and a flat tummy. 
    Hoo Rah.

New jeans day today as well to celebrate! 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    My diet is reasonably clean but the booze is the downfall. I don’t drink any fizzy drinks, don’t have sugar in hot drinks and don’t really eat anything in the way of desserts. Pretty much all my sugar comes from fruit. 

But I drink at least two bottles of red wine a week which probably isn’t very good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Did this, mainly cutting out sugars and bread and trying to eat my big meal in the day and not eating too much after 6pm. Eating more veg and fish and white meat. Sauerkraut has proved really good as a side and for the stomach.

There's been weight loss but I can't believe how my shape has changed and my stomach isn't bloated.

I'm with @TheMarlin re:sleep, knee joints etc

I really wish I could go Vegan but I need the meat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     @speshul91 ;

How are you guys getting on with this?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Truth be told, I’m reallly enjoying it.  Mood is great, mind a bit clearer.   Maybe I drank too much beer before...mmmmm....beer...

will have beers with old friends in St Patrick’s day (organised a year ago), but will likely be the last beer this year.  Want to keep this going.  
  • I was on a keto diet last year - more for the energy than weight loss and it did seem to reduce the number of migraines I was getting.  The first week wasn't great.  The "keto flu" you suffer through as your body switches from cards to fat for fuel leaves you feeling drained for a few days.  Once I was through that I felt great on it.

Came off it over christmas for convenience (eating out/at friends and family can be tricky) and haven't really got back into yet.  I think the memory of the keto flu is putting me off.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Are you guys following any particular diet plan/book or are you just making it up as you go along?
    I'm impressed by your results and could do with looking in to this more.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I did the Atkins 10 years ago. This time I'm following a food yes / no list:

Yes - meat, fish, eggs, veg grown above ground, olive oil, rapeseed oil, cream, cheese, water, coffee, tea, nuts, olive, wine.

No - sugar, bread, pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, beer. 

Some fruit is OK. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Fuengi said: by

No - sugar, bread, pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, beer. 
    That's pretty much my whole life!  Just add chicken.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I've lost a stone from not drinking and switching to fully-skimmed milk, as well as eating stew, porridge, chicken, apricots (and belle vita biscuits) - I still sip coffee but use honey instead of sugar.

Now 19 hours since I've had any sugar / carbs and I could swallow a Belgium Bun whole (if I has any saliva). Pretty lght headed. Trying to lift some weights to burn through into keto. A bleak evening beckons!
    edited February 2018
    Fuengi said:
    Now 19 hours since I've had any sugar / carbs and I could swallow a Belgium Bun whole (if I has any saliva). Pretty lght headed. Trying to lift some weights to burn through into keto. A bleak evening beckons!
    Have a pork pie.
    You'll quickly forget about sugar.

(This really works. You can trick your mind away from sweet with savoury just by putting it in your gob no matter what your brain says.)

EDIT: Just realised some of you are doing carbs too, sorry didn't read that bit when I quoted you @Fuengi ;
    Pork pies have carbs but you can still do the same thing with "Allowed" food to get the sugar craving away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    BRISTOL86 said:
    My diet is reasonably clean but the booze is the downfall. I don’t drink any fizzy drinks, don’t have sugar in hot drinks and don’t really eat anything in the way of desserts. Pretty much all my sugar comes from fruit. 

But I drink at least two bottles of red wine a week which probably isn’t very good. 
    Too right it's no good. you'd best up your game now lest the wine industry go bankrupt!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Foster said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Too right it's no good. you'd best up your game now lest the wine industry go bankrupt!
    Just bought a few more bottles, so concerned was I after reading your post!
    Thanks @Alnico now have a vision of a pork pie covered in Branston etched into my mind.

Shoud be through it soon, I've got a stupidly fast metabolism. I'll get on the excersise bike and chase that pork pie! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Hard as fuck mate. Good luck. 
    Fuengi said:
    Thanks @Alnico now have a vision of a pork pie covered in Branston etched into my mind.

Shoud be through it soon, I've got a stupidly fast metabolism. I'll get on the excersise bike and chase that pork pie! 
    Feel the burn.
    Be the pickle.

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483
    edited February 2018
    Fuengi said:
    Might be worth looking up Keto electrolyte drinks.  Not tried them myself but apparently they can help with some of the side effects of going into ketogenesis .