Cutting out sugar

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Hot bath and mint tea.... hope to feel better in the morning! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    You'll feel better in the morning but may crash during the day.  Even if you don't try the electrolyte drinks remember to stay well hydrated.  You'll be shedding water at a tremendous rate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    RedRabbit said:
    Fuengi said:
    You'll feel better in the morning but may crash during the day.  Even if you don't try the electrolyte drinks remember to stay well hydrated.  You'll be shedding water at a tremendous rate.

+1
    43 hours in, feel better than yesterday but still a little bit light headed. Hoping by tomorrow morning I'll be through it and into keto. Piss strips arriving tomorrow so I can test.
    Low Carb Update: Last slice of cake was Sunday eveing, it's now Wednesday morning. Since then only been eating meat / fish / eggs / green veg. Keto strips arrived from Amazon last night and I tested between 4-5 out of 6 on the keto scale.

This morning feel really good, plenty of energy - actually a bit of an energy buzz. My mouth feels really smooth and no inflamation - which I get. My complexion has improved despite the cold weather (been a bit red around the cheeks with cold lately).

The top of my stomach (solal plexis?) has significantly reduced and I just feel so much less bloated, although the tummy now is more obvoius!

Not particularly hungry this morning but I had a plate of scrabmbled eggs, some mackeral and a coffee with cream which all tasted delicious. Also had a slice of Brie last night which tasted better than any cheese I've had for years.

Busy day today, so will be interested to see how the energy levels go.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Ahem....

I didn't get to try new jeans on until yesterday. ..
    Size 30".. and an easy fit at that. 
    I'm out wearing them for the first time right now and I feel like a teenager. 

I weigh 11.4 stone and I'm finally back in shape but I don't do any more exercise than walking everywhere  (we sold our car) and carrying shopping home for about 2 miles pretty much every day.

It was all down to diet for me and now I look like this I'm not bothered about sweet stuff.

This was so worth doing !

It takes months guys but at the other end is THIS feeling and it's worth it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Forgot to mention this in my previous post;

I've been recovering from Achilles surgery in November. Back in a shoe for about 4 weeks now and my first gym session with the physio was yesterday. Previously I have been stretching and excercising at home.

This morning the swelling feels less significant, the movement has improved and my bent knee streches has improved by 50%. This could be incidental, but it has been stiff as a bitch and suddenly it's quite a bit more flexible. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Fuengi said:

This morning the swelling feels less significant, the movement has improved and my bent knee streches has improved by 50%. This could be incidental, but it has been stiff as a bitch and suddenly it's quite a bit more flexible. 
    This is totally anecdotal and "in my experience" so not worth the three sacks of salt I know I should take with my own belief but... I can't shake the idea that there's something in this.  It's mainly due to what I think I've seen with poorly controlled diabetics.  I can't find anything to back it up.  (Would be interested if this is anyone's field though).  But anyway when someone publishes that paper on "Jam doughnuts make you less bendy (and knacker your ankle and shoulder tendons) remember you read it here first...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    Fuengi said:

This is totally anecdotal and "in my experience" so not worth the three sacks of salt I know I should take with my own belief but... I can't shake the idea that there's something in this.  It's mainly due to what I think I've seen with poorly controlled diabetics.  I can't find anything to back it up.  (Would be interested if this is anyone's field though).  But anyway when someone publishes that paper on "Jam doughnuts make you less bendy (and knacker your ankle and shoulder tendons) remember you read it here first...

I have come across somebody who was prescribed a low sugar diet to combat Rheumatoid Arthritis and their symptoms all but disappeared.

Could be a good diet for guitarists – keep those fingers moving another 10 years?

4pm Wednesday and still have lots of energy. No dip today. 
  • My favourite part of being on Keto was the drive home.

On my usual diet I'd be knackered by the end of the day and would just be wanting to settle down in front of the TV and throw a pizza in the oven.

On keto I actually felt good going home, had both the motivation and energy to cook a decent meal, get some guitar practice in, clean the house and occasionally go for a run.

The more I think about this the more I realise what a bad move it has been to go back to my carb heavy diet.  Can't do much about it while I'm snowed in but as soon as I can get out to the shops and stock up I'm going back on it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Update:
    Have stopped snoring! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    I try to eat clean, healthy food and allow myself the occasional treat - cake, biscuits, pub burger etc

I really struggle with energy. I've got a fast metabolism so need to graze often - fruit and nuts being my idea of clean snacks.

I'm intrigued by this ketone stuff. What would I eat for breakfast? Currently I take a pot off yogurt and homemade granola on the train. Lunch and dinner be easy enough.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Would try it myself but I can't stand cold turkey.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Fuengi said:
    I did the Atkins 10 years ago. This time I'm following a food yes / no list:

Yes - meat, fish, eggs, veg grown above ground, olive oil, rapeseed oil, cream, cheese, water, coffee, tea, nuts, olive, wine.

No - sugar, bread, pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, beer. 

Some fruit is OK. 
    Based on the reading I did, I'm not convinced that wine is generally any better than beer:
    • Firstly, alcohol is a carb, and your body will absorb/burn some of it, so wine is not really any better than beer from that angle
    • Currently many red wines popular in the UK are sweeter than in the past, http://winefolly.com/review/sugar-in-wine-chart/ ao may have more carbs per glass than a beer

What fruit do you think is better/worse?
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited March 2018
    Its amazing how quickly you get fed up with bacon and eggs so I am having full fat greek yoghurt most weekday mornings with blueberries and raspberries in it, along with some Lizis low sugar granola.

I'm intrigued by this ketone stuff. What would I eat for breakfast? Currently I take a pot off yogurt and homemade granola on the train. Lunch and dinner be easy enough.
    Still working things out so not sure on convenient / quick food. I work from home so it's easy to grab what I want, when I want it. 

Celery, cocktail sausages and cheese have been my nibbles, but if I decide to stick to it beyond month I'll have to intrude more foods. 
    Fuengi said:
    I did the Atkins 10 years ago. This time I'm following a food yes / no list:

Yes - meat, fish, eggs, veg grown above ground, olive oil, rapeseed oil, cream, cheese, water, coffee, tea, nuts, olive, wine.

No - sugar, bread, pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, beer. 

Some fruit is OK. 
    Based on the reading I did, I'm not convinced that wine is generally any better than beer:
    • Firstly, alcohol is a carb, and your body will absorb/burn some of it, so wine is not really any better than beer from that angle
    • Currently many red wines popular in the UK are sweeter than in the past, http://winefolly.com/review/sugar-in-wine-chart/ ao may have more carbs per glass than a beer

What fruit do you think is better/worse?
    The beer / wine thing was based on a quick read through low carb websites, I'll have to delve deeper, thanks. 

The carb count I've seen on fruit basically avoid exotic fruits like mango, pineapple and bananas. Apples, pears and some berries seem fine. 
    @ToneControl this is the site I'd looked at regarding alcohol

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    Fuengi said:

Still working things out so not sure on convenient / quick food. I work from home so it's easy to grab what I want, when I want it. 

Celery, cocktail sausages and cheese have been my nibbles, but if I decide to stick to it beyond month I'll have to intrude more foods. 
    Cocktail sausages? Must be carb heavy, no?