Saw Lloyd Cole last night

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
Went to his Songbook 83-96 gig last night local, in a small theater and it was absolutely excellent, just him and an acoustic played for just short of 2 hours, both singing and playing were superb. Funny guy too, very dry.

Had a look at his discography this morning and bloody hell there`s loads, lots of good listening to come.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Cool. I should probably venture beyond rattlesnakes one day. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I must admit to never getting past Mainstream, will definitely right that wrong.
  • His first solo album is a particular favourite of mine. Robert Quine was excellent on it. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    I saw him Acoustic Solo a few years back...Bloody fantastic...He met everyone and requested people shout out what they wanted to hear.... He kept an ice bucket next to him to dip his fretting hand into.
    i’ll have to check his tour dates.... :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    I should find out what he's up to now as well - I've been a big fan since Rattlesnakes and I've got near enough everything he's released, but I haven't been to see him live for a few years now.

A really great songwriter and a deceptively good guitarist.

He is literally part of the reason I came to Scotland as well - I'm also English, but like him I went to Uni here and I wondered if some of the Scottish music scene thing that was going on at the time would rub off on me...

It didn't :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I tend to go on an "annual pilgrimage" to see Lloyd play. Saw him last year at The Union Chapel in Islington, fantastic gig, fantastic venue.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited February 2018
    Good reminder for the first solo album, must haul that out!

I saw a show on that tour in 1990 at the Hammersmith Odeon… it was a fantastic band - not just the late lamented Robert Quine on lead guitar (one of my all-time fave players) but a virtually-unknown Matthew Sweet brandishing an LP goldtop... who would shortly go on to record some of the finest rock/pop albums of the 90s, eg Girlfriend, Altered Beast etc.

Always had fab taste, did Lloyd 
  • I dont think there is a duff track on that first solo album.  

I dont think there is a duff track on that first solo album.  
    It's actually hard to think of a duff track on any of his albums.

I love Bad Vibes and Love Story as well, some of my favourite songs and production on any albums by anyone.

There is the oddity that is Plastic Wood, but even that's great if you're in the mood for it. Note for the unaware - this one is 'Lloyd decides to do an ambient electronic album' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    So by my reckoning there are nearly 30 albums, bearing in mind Mainstream was the last one I bought, what to choose now?? 
    http://www.lloydcole.com/album-category/albums/

Bit gutted that I didn't buy the acoustic one they were selling last night http://www.lloydcole.com/folksinger-vol-3-is-finally-here/

My personal favourite is Love Story, if that means anything! If you don't want to get one of the compilations, anyway. But all the original albums are good, you probably would find plenty to like in any of them.

Just don't start with Plastic Wood ;).

• ICBM said:
    My personal favourite is Love Story, if that means anything! 
    Recently listened to that for the first time in about 20 years - it’s a great record....
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    ICBM said:
    My personal favourite is Love Story.
    Mine too. Fantastic album.