Loving these flatwound strings on the Jazzmaster, but boy they're pricey...

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
edited February 2018 in Guitar
I'm digging my AV '65 Jazzmaster right now. What with a new Staytrem bridge and a new setup I thought I'd try the pack of Fender 11-50 Flatwounds that they kindly supplied with the guitar. I love the smooth feel and tone of these strings but they're bloody expensive! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Stainless-Flat-Wound-11-50/dp/B004CAJ9QK/ - anyone know any cheaper alternative?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 500k pots and normal daddario strings
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They last longer though so it works about the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    +1 on them lasting longer. I've used D'Addario chrome's in the past and they go on forever. Not sure if it's the smooth windings that resist wear or the fact that they don't lose brightness because there isn't that much in the first place!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    I like Picato flatwounds and Olympia flatounds can be had for under a tenner.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    JD50 said:
    I like Picato flatwounds and Olympia flatounds can be had for under a tenner.
    Used to use Pyramids - they are very good. Now use these - https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Thomastik-E-Guit-Str-11-47-Jazz-Swing-Flat-Wound/art-ACC0001955-000

Sometimes available from Amazon for the same price as Bax, Musicstore and Thomas - about £12 a set. They are brilliant and last ages.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    @Gagaryn That's a reasonable price. How long do they last you? BTW - Are DV247 now a German store?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Philtre said:
    @Gagaryn That's a reasonable price. How long do they last you? BTW - Are DV247 now a German store?
    Last me a two or three months - depends on its of variables though, including your unique skin chemistry. For me its the unwound strings that go off - the wound are still okay. Keep meaning to order some single 11s and 15s.
    Hmmm...was hoping they would last a year. I'm a tightwad.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    Philtre said:
    Are DV247 now a German store?
    They have been for a few years now. 
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Steve Cropper never changes his strings, hates the sounds of new ones.  If he has to put a new one on due to breakage, he wipes it with a chapstick to make it instantly old.

Seems to have done OK with that philosophy
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14035
    tFB Trader
    They last longer though so it works about the same.
    exactly

our suppliers don't really offer bulk buying discounts on such models compared to best selling sets, as they know it is not a volume market - As such prices are more expensive than a regular set
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Philtre said:
    Hmmm...was hoping they would last a year. I'm a tightwad.

I don't think I've changed strings for nearly 2 years & I play almost daily.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I've got Thomastic 12's on my archtops, all lasted over a year now.  I get the version with tin plated plain strings, a little more expense but they last as long as the wounds.  Oh, and most importantly they sound great and intonate well, both new and aged.
    Resurrecting this thread...

Fell out of love with the 11s flatwounds on the JM. Instead, I put some on an Epiphone Dot and really love them now.

Still on the lookout for bargains in the flatwound purchasing. I see Olympia make flats for around £9 a set. Are they any good?

tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    Resurrecting this thread...

Fell out of love with the 11s flatwounds on the JM. Instead, I put some on an Epiphone Dot and really love them now.

Still on the lookout for bargains in the flatwound purchasing. I see Olympia make flats for around £9 a set. Are they any good?

try half wounds Phil  - I like them - 1/2 way house between the two - So maybe best of nothing or perfect subject to taste and requirements - D'addario make them

Rarely get deals on flatwound as they are not sold/built by the shed load, so when I see promo offers from the suppliers  there is never ever any deals on flat wounds
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I've tried half wounds (D'Addario 11's) on your recommendation, Mark - not sure about them (for me) as they have a slightly rubbery feel. They're OK, though, and I can see that they're a good halfway house and seem to have more of the characteristics and pliability of rounds, but I think D'Addario Chromes are my favourite. The Jazz Swings feel a bit 'fibrous' for my comfort, and I'm actually getting more comfortable playing Chromes than normal rounds. 
    Call me Dave.
    @guitars4you Thanks for advice, I'll investigate...
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    they won't suit everyone, but I have them on a couple of guitars for a laid back jazz/blues vibe and like them - But as @DB1 mentions above, he doesn't really get on with them
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Philtre said:
    they won't suit everyone, but I have them on a couple of guitars for a laid back jazz/blues vibe and like them - But as @DB1 mentions above, he doesn't really get on with them
    I can definitely see the appeal if you don't get on with flatwounds, because they give you a chunk of the flatwound characteristic whilst still retaining a familar 'round' feel. I've put a set on a 1956 ES-175 that I've recently bought, and they sound good. Being a 2 x P90 configuration though, it's begging for a set of flats, so I'll be interested to hear (and feel) the difference.
    Call me Dave.
  • GrokeGroke Frets: 3
    edited January 2019
    Olympia flats are good. I'm using 11-50 but swapping out the wound third with an unwound. Work lovely on my Reverend Charger with Bigsby.