NGD/NMD: Tele Thinline Super Deluxe Lite

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
 Greetings, comrades!

The inspiration for this one was the soon to be released fender Thinline Super Deluxe.  Full of Tango Orangey goodness, TV Jones pickups and a rather incongruous Jazzmaster style block neck.

Well I loved the idea of the Thinline with the Filtertrons, slighlty less the Tango thing, and was equivocal about the neck.  Oh, and I wasn't sure about paying £1600 for the thing or laying down a deposit with it unplayed.

Anyway.  Serendipity brought a 72 Thinline my way.  And, like Frank Sinatra, why not?

Great guitar.  Lovely to play.  Lovely to look at.  But the 'Wide Range' pickups are anything but, frankly.

Cut a long story short, some delightful chaps in the States sorted me out with this:

A fun evening of tools and soldering irons and all the rest of it, and we have this.  I stress I am no luthier and this has taken me to the limit of my abilities, but I'm both a bit proud and very pleased with it.  Regrettably the fair Mrs Moans and the minor Moanses have long since hit the hay, so your baying cries for sound samples will have to wait.  All I now need is a rattle can of orange paint.

Pictures!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Excellent work my friend!! It’s amazing how different she looks with the slimmer pups, makes the body look longer and very elegant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Nice - those standard Fender Wide Range pickups are a bit muddy. I replaced mine with Mojo wide ranges and it sounds epic.
    interesting idea with the Filtertrons.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    I bet that sounds epic,  well played sir.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2521
    Have your 501th fret on me - wow!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    Excellent work my friend!! It’s amazing how different she looks with the slimmer pups, makes the body look longer and very elegant. 
    Thanks!

Length and elegance is pretty much all I aspire to, amigo. 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Nice - those standard Fender Wide Range pickups are a bit muddy. I replaced mine with Mojo wide ranges and it sounds epic.
    interesting idea with the Filtertrons.
    Seems everybody swaps 'em out.  Apparently they're just fender standard humbuckers in a crap ton of wax and shoved inside a bigger housing.  I thought of getting aftermarket wide ranges but then decided to get kinky with this TV Jones shebang. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    I bet that sounds epic,  well played sir.
    Ta!  Haven't had chance to really let rip, yet.  Once I'm done selling my surplus labour there will be noise.  Lots of noise.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited March 2018
    Have your 501th fret on me - wow!
    I shall call it 'the Levis' D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Are you going to make it orange?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Are you going to make it orange?
    Ha!  I doubt it.  I think it looks pretty fine au naturel.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    :-( 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    :-( 
    Knowing me it’ll be up in the classifieds by Sunday; someone else can disfigure it :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    That looks amazing.
    Although it just needs...

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But how does it sound compared to the modern WRHBs?
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
    Makes the thing come alive.  Twangier, more resonant, far more definition in the notes, more top end, great growl when you dig in.  More more more, really :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    BigMonka said:
    Makes the thing come alive.  Twangier, more resonant, far more definition in the notes, more top end, great growl when you dig in.  More more more, really :D

Sounds really tempting! I've got Mojo '52 single coils in my thinline at the moment, but I'd like to get a fatter/fuller sound so thinking of switching the neck pickup out for something else - these Filtertrons sound like they'll get me there whilst also retaining some of the kick-ass-twangy-tele-ness.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Looks great!  Now imagine it with a bigsby.... ;)
    Necro bump.  After a sojourn in the v talented hands of SC Relics / @lonestar the project comes together.

Behold the Tangotastic Tele Thinline Super Deluxe Lite.

Needs a bit if tweaking / set up but VERY pleased with the results.  What say you?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    edited November 2018
    Mmm orange eh? Very brave sir, a most striking instrument! Looks like SC Relics did a great job. 

Enjoy.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Mmm orange eh? Very brave sir, a most striking instrument! Looks like SC Relics did a great job. 

Enjoy.  :)
    'Striking' :D  It'll look well next to my cock pink jazzmaster :)

They did a fine piece of work indeed. 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer