Amp tilt back legs

What's Hot
FaffFaff Frets: 29
edited March 2018 in Amps
I have generally been using a gator amp stand which is fine although a bit too wobbly for my taste. Also tried the StandBack which I find a bit of a faff at quick setup gigs.
So now onto tilt back legs. 1 less thing to carry and forget. Are there any non fender tilt back legs I can attach to my Mesa 112 combo?
(Google is not being my friend in this instance - I can't find any)
Guitarist for...  HEY PIXIES - The UK's most gigantic PIXIES tribute band
http://www.facebook.com/heypixies
"We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Hard to find in the UK, but there is one product called 'AmpLegs' that's available from the US. It doesn't involve drilling the amp either, which is something I would probably avoid on a Mesa as it will likely affect the resale value if you ever sell it.

https://amplegs.wordpress.com

https://www.amazon.com/AmpLegs-Screwless-Tilt-Back-Legs/dp/B01LZ8K9EX

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FaffFaff Frets: 29
    Thanks - I saw these. Maybe.
    I don't mind drilling the amp as it's so perfect for me, I will never ever ever sell it. (yeah right!)
    But seriously, I don't mind drilling tilt back legs on it - just don't want then to be fender branded - that would look silly.
    "We don't actually own any of this gear - we're just looking after it for the next Fretboarder."

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I saw an amp stand in the current Studiospares catalog that I was browing yesterday. Try visiting their site and seach for it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    That's similar to what I already have. I'm looking for one less thing to carry.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Faff OK, I just thought it might be a bit less wobbly
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • veldt666veldt666 Frets: 83
    Small Fender tilt back legs, fit perfectly, on a Boogie. Thomman, have them.
    Yes - I was just trying to avoid Fender logo on a Boogie. 

Is there a gap in the market here? How come no-one else does the same? (Wish I had done metalwork at school)

Faff said:
    Yes - I was just trying to avoid Fender logo on a Boogie. 

Is there a gap in the market here? How come no-one else does the same? (Wish I had done metalwork at school)
    I think because it's not a very good idea. I know Fender made a feature of it, and *some* people (you, obviously :) ) do like them, but I've always found they tilt the amp back too steeply to be really useful. You can't have a less-steep angle because the amp isn't stable like that. They also add about 3lb to the carrying weight of the amp - not that much, but noticeable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31571
    I put them on my Princeton, the faceplate went from "normal" temperature when vertical to too hot to touch when tilted. 

You're basically making an apex roof inside your amp to collect the heat - I was amazed at the difference in temperature. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    p90fool said:
    I put them on my Princeton, the faceplate went from "normal" temperature when vertical to too hot to touch when tilted. 

You're basically making an apex roof inside your amp to collect the heat - I was amazed at the difference in temperature. 
    Yip, I did the same and no longer use them for that reason.
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    Why don’t you just pop a small lump of wood under the amp at the front - painted black you probably won’t even see it?
    p90fool said:

There is this too...

I'm not sure if drilling a row of vent holes through the top of the baffle behind the grille cloth would allow enough heat out - it might be worth a try. I wouldn't expect a row of fairly small holes to affect the sound.

• these look really good 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 193
    I have one of the Standback folding stands.  Like the tilt-back legs, it has to tilt a long way back to be stable, and while it feels solid enough if it isn't knocked, it seems quite vulnerable to clumsy stumbling on cramped stages.  My number one option for raising my combo is to sit it on top of the house 4x12" if there's one present (usually not plugged in to it though). 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    edited March 2018
    You can usually find a stool or chair to sit your amp on. ..
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1458
    Flight case
    @MartinB ; -  I have  a Standback and very much agree with what you say. 
    @Chris_J ; - There's not always a suitable chair to stand on. Amp is quite deep and on casters. And in IMHO it looks crap.
    @Gagaryn - I think that maybe for a couple of hours gig use, it will be fine
    @ICBM - whilst I am willing to put a few holes in the side for tilt legs, I wouldn't drill a load of vent holes.

The general consensus (and own experience) is that raising or tilting is better than on the floor so I will keep doing that. I just thought tilt back legs may be an easy solution but with all you experts - I'm having doubts although if I found non Fender ones I would still try.

Faff said:

The general consensus (and own experience) is that raising or tilting is better than on the floor so I will keep doing that. I just thought tilt back legs may be an easy solution but with all you experts - I'm having doubts although if I found non Fender ones I would still try.
    For me, raising is far better than tilting in every way except needing to carry something else - although if it's the amp's own flightcase that's a problem which solves itself.

I prefer the sound with the amp raised, it both avoids pointing the speakers right at your ears and also decouples the low-end from the stage, which is what you want to get a good mix with the bass amp (which should be on the floor), it actually takes up less stage space, and the amp doesn't overheat. And you can still get at the controls more easily and put your capo/picks etc on top of the amp :).