£800 for PRS Custom 24?

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    ICBM;17701" said:
    [quote="grungebob;17519"]I wasn't aware custom 24's ever came with the stop tail option?
    Yes, they did. At one time you could get all the variations on all the standard models, but then they started restricting the options. Custom 24s with stoptails are quite rare though.

[/quote]

Ok good to know,so would that rarity impact on the price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Does £600 seem a fair offer? I don't want to lowball him.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited August 2013
    grungebob said:
    Ok good to know,so would that rarity impact on the price?
    It's not as important as the condition and changed pickups. The sort of people who want a rare model for the rarity are likely to be even more picky about condition, so it's probably worth no more than any other tatty Custom. It's not exactly a 'special' model, it's just a fairly unusual combination of features that were standard on other versions.

£600 is a fair offer if it's really beaten up. I'd probably still pay the £800 if it's not too bad, but there's no harm in starting low. (Unless he takes offence, possibly...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Can you post any pictures of it?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    It depends on why you are buying it.

Have you played it yet?

If it plays great, sounds great, and you are comfortable with it and like it, and like the colour, then as a keeper it's worth consideration at the "right" price.
    Also which neck profile is it? and do you like that? Does everything work, stay in tune etc, etc, etc.
    Even if the actual wood on the neck ding is dented, you can probably "decompress" it, and refinish if you really want to.
    And as @stonevibe says, they do look cool with a few dings, and at least it has had a life.

If you're not sure, and might want to pass it on anytime soon (in recession terms) bear in mind all the comments from everyone.
    ie, very limited market for "players" PRS (always), crap economic conditions which seem to be continually driving prices down even further, non original pickups, stoptail not trem, etc.

So if you want to sell, you have a very limited market, especially close enough to come and try it, and you may have to sell at a knock down "fire sale" price just to get shot of it when the GAS takes over again.  Price that in to what you are prepared to pay.

They are great guitars, and well made too, so it should be a good one.  Maybe a keeper?
    Good luck if you go for it,  keep us posted.
    :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I asked if he was open to offers and he said yes he may be willing to let it go for £785, so I thought it best not to bother offering the £600 haha. Think this is one I'll have to let pass me by.
    Think I dodged a bullet there. I sent him a polite text saying that I was only able to offer £600 and would let this one go, and he sent me quite a snotty text back saying he should be asking more like £950 for this and that I've missed a bargain.
    If its a bargain I'm unsure why it's sat on internet sites untouched for the past month, but hey never mind.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Exactly.. as has already been said, bargains don't last long so there is a reason it's not selling.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    stonevibe said:
    That ended at £560!!! What a bargainous price.  :-O
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Adam_MD said:
    stonevibe said:
    Yup.

PRS values are nosediving compared to a few years back. There are so many great guitars out there now for reasonable money and so bargains can be found.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Adam_MD said:
    stonevibe said:
    Hence why a knackered Custom with the wrong pickups isn't shifting at £800. (Sorry "£785"... )

CEs are even cheaper - although that doesn't mean they're lesser models as a lot of people think, they were just cheaper new because they were less expensive to make with the bolt-on neck. Exactly the same quality as a Custom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    ICBM said:
    Adam_MD said:
    stonevibe said:
    Hence why a knackered Custom with the wrong pickups isn't shifting at £800. (Sorry "£785"... )

CEs are even cheaper - although that doesn't mean they're lesser models as a lot of people think, they were just cheaper new because they were less expensive to make with the bolt-on neck. Exactly the same quality as a Custom.
    I quite fancy a CE myself as they tend to come in plain colours more often and generally my taste in guitars is more 'F' than 'G', so bolt on makes perfect sense to me.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

What are the PRS Standard 24s like? Same quality but without a fancy top?
    DefaultM said:
    What are the PRS Standard 24s like? Same quality but without a fancy top?
    Solid mahogany body rather than mahogany/maple. That's not just a cosmetic difference, it has a big effect on the tone - darker, more open and resonant. Other than that they're identical. You could get them with bird inlays if that's your thing, although moons seem more common.

The Standard 22 - with trem and moons - is my favourite PRS, and the one I bought new (admittedly shop-dinged, so a bit cheaper) having tried several others and realising that's what I wanted.

Do they have a carved top? I can't tell from the pics.
    DefaultM said:
    Yes, identical in every way to a Custom except no maple.

Some of the more recent ones are matt finish though, if that matters. Personally I think it looks crap.

• DefaultM;19630" said:
    Yes. Bodies are exactly the same shape as maple-top versions.
  • stonevibe said:
    I hate to inform you all, but the sky is about to fall on our heads, because me liking a PRS guitar is surely the beginning of the end...

Thats lovely! No, really... help, there must be something wrong with me! 
    Picked up a really nice flamed maple top CE22 for £750 :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    DefaultM said:
    Picked up a really nice flamed maple top CE22 for £750 :)
    Awesome!    but we need pics ;) :)