Satriani Trolling Coldplay?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 605
When I was listening to the new Joe Satriani album, I couldn't help but notice the similarity in the main melody with Coldplay's Viva La Vida..

After the lawsuit between him and Coldplay over If I Could Fly, is this a sly way of getting his own back?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    Blimey that sounds like I recorded that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpwjpw Frets: 2
    I had a giggle when I first heard it as I thought exactly the same thing. re If I could fly; Didn't they settle out of court on basis of never discussing it in public, sounds like admission of guilt, surely Coldplay could afford better lawyers than Joe..
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Jesus I'd rather listen to coldplay than that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    His playing sounds very binary there, each note is either on or off and nowhere in between - like a toy keyboard.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Personally I think Satriani is off his head if he thinks Coldplay/Chris Martin sit around listening to his albums so they can steal melodies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 605
    @SidNewton ;
    So you think they didn’t steal it? It sounds so similar though.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    hassleham said:
    @SidNewton ;
    In all fairness fella I can't say but I feel it's purely coincidence and for someone with Joes extensive knowledge of music theory he is well aware of this being likely. Joes core audience is other guitarists, not guys like Coldplay. I doubt they ever heard his song.
    For me he was being opportunistic with his claim.

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    As uncool as Coldplay are, I can't imagine them listening to the even more naff Joe satriani and ripping off his songs. He makes Chris Martin look like Iggy Pop.  
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    SidNewton said:
    hassleham said:
    @SidNewton ;
    In all fairness fella I can't say but I feel it's purely coincidence and for someone with Joes extensive knowledge of music theory he is well aware of this being likely. Joes core audience is other guitarists, not guys like Coldplay. I doubt they ever heard his song.
    For me he was being opportunistic with his claim.

Exactly. 

Ultimately there are only 12 notes... 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    But that becomes an astronomical number very quickly if you do the maths - far in excess of the number of songs that have ever been written or ever will be written. A simple eight-note melody has over 400 million possible sequences, before you even get into note value differences. (12^8 = 429,981,696.) Add a couple of chord changes into it and you're immediately into the billions or more.

The problem is that the vast majority of them don't sound very musical. But the fact that there are only 12 notes by itself does not provide an excuse for unoriginality...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    A simple eight-note melody has over 400 million possible sequences, before you even get into note value differences. (12^8 = 429,981,696.) Add a couple of chord changes into it and you're immediately into the billions or more.

I feel that we should send this to Rob Scallon as a challenge.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    That doesn’t sound anything like Livin La Vida Loca.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    AlexC said:
    That doesn’t sound anything like Livin La Vida Loca.
    Excellent work sir ! Excellent.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    But that becomes an astronomical number very quickly if you do the maths - far in excess of the number of songs that have ever been written or ever will be written. A simple eight-note melody has over 400 million possible sequences, before you even get into note value differences. (12^8 = 429,981,696.) Add a couple of chord changes into it and you're immediately into the billions or more.

The problem is that the vast majority of them don't sound very musical. But the fact that there are only 12 notes by itself does not provide an excuse for unoriginality...
    You are still bound by the key, the tonic and the dominant, and the need for resolution. Didn't the Hollies sue somebody who sued somebody else? It's all getting a bit rediculous just because they stumbled upon a sequence of notes first, that somebody else would have probably discovered anyway. Those who were around in the 60's and 70's had a distinct advantage when collecting sequences of notes. Human evolution is littered with parallel discoveries, everybody will get there eventually given time.

Yep, I'm not really a big fan of copyright. Everybody should get a turn with those notes and let the listener decide who they want to hear playing them.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    Freebird said:
    ICBM said:

You are still bound by the key, the tonic and the dominant, and the need for resolution. Didn't the Hollies sue somebody who sued somebody else? It's all getting a bit rediculous just because they stumbled upon a sequence of notes first, that somebody else would have probably discovered anyway. Those who were around in the 60's and 70's had a distinct advantage when collecting sequences of notes. Human evolution is littered with parallel discoveries, everybody will get there eventually given time.

Yep, I'm not really a big fan of copyright. Everybody should get a turn with those notes and let the listener decide who they want to hear playing them.
    Yeah, exactly. Ultimately if we're limiting to pop music in major & minor keys there are a finite number of combinations, and it's no surprise that those writing music for a living sometimes come across the same set of notes & chords that sound good.

IIRC the Hollies sued Radiohead, who may or may not have sued Lana Del Rey. Which is pretty childish since they're all millionaires.

Though I am quite amused at how Stevie Wonder almost sued Noel Gallagher for the track Step Out, which was then removed from What's the Story.. at the 11th hour so Noel didn't have to share the album royalties. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    stickyfiddle said:

Though I am quite amused at how Stevie Wonder almost sued Noel Gallagher for the track Step Out, which was then removed from What's the Story.. at the 11th hour so Noel didn't have to share the album royalties. 
    It's a shame the writers of all the other songs didn't get him to pull those too...

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Joe Satriani's new album, much like the majority of Cold Play's back catalogue, is a brilliant sleep aid!

:)

I've only been able to find it in me to listen to the album once - it wasn't exciting. I really hoped that the Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith backing would have made it a intriguing listen. Sadly, that didn't happen.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 605
    I’m surprised by the amount of hate for JS here! I enjoyed the new album. No it wasn’t as good as his older stuff but still enjoyable and his tone and expression is awesome.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    I've only been able to find it in me to listen to the album once - it wasn't exciting. I really hoped that the Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith backing would have made it a intriguing listen. Sadly, that didn't happen.
    Well at least Hughes doesn't sing on it....

I haven't really listened to Satriani since he still had hair.... so I investigated the new album.  Not crazy about it on first listen... I get that he's going for a more basic, retro approach but I think it all sounds a bit subdued.

Spotify has now led me back to Shockwave Supernova, which I'm liking better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    hassleham said:
    I’m surprised by the amount of hate for JS here! I enjoyed the new album. No it wasn’t as good as his older stuff but still enjoyable and his tone and expression is awesome.
    I don't hate Satch. I've seen him live a few times, I own the entire back catalog - I don't think I could be called a hater. I regularly sport a bright red Surfing With the Alien tee!

:)

But this album just wasn't that interesting.

Shockwave Supernova was pretty great. The melodies on this one just don't really stick with me in the way that they did with the previous albums. As with all bands/artists, they're always going to have some hit'n'miss too.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/