Cover versions that are better than the originals....

What's Hot

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 100
    Sporky said:
    Johnny Cash - Hurt 

I really don't get that. A lot of people seem to prefer the Cash version but to me it's a pale imitation of the original.

I honestly couldn't tell you what it is about it that I love so much but I just can't get enough of the Cash version. 
    Im a huge NIN fan so it's not like I don't like the original either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 2788
    edited March 2
    Sporky said:
    to me, it's a pale imitation of the original.
    A lot of people cannot accept the intentionally dissonant guitar arpeggio in the verse chord sequence.

Meanwhile, I nominate Stop Your Sobbing by The Pretenders. 
    I fear the Geeks, even when they bear GIFs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 7
    Lyle Lovett "Stand By Your Man"
    Sturgill Simpson "The Promise"
    and not technically a cover but Nick Harper's 
    'Out Of It' contains two verses of 'Butcher' by Killing Joke some Gang of Four and a bit of Prodigy's 'Breathe'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 5315
    Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
    Pearl Jam - Crown of thorns
    Chris Cornell - Billie Jean
    Nirvana - Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
    Nirvana - Man who sold the world

• SporkySporky Frets: 12780
    Sporky said:
    A lot of people cannot accept the intentionally dissonant guitar arpeggio in the verse chord sequence.
    Ah. That might also be why I find the Cash version so insipid. It's nice.
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 215
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:
    Ah. That might also be why I find the Cash version so insipid. It's nice.
    The video for Johnny Cash's version is astounding, especially if you know a bit about his story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 215
    I love Bonnie Raitt's version of When the Spell is Broken. Ably demonstrates Richard Thompson's superb lyrics. There is something about the way she times her vocal against the backing vocals. And her slide tone
  • SporkySporky Frets: 12780
    I do. I still think it's vapid compared to the original. It's a pretty weak spot in Cash's output.
    Be your own evil twin. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fobfob Frets: 351
    This was posted on this forum (I think it was this forum) a few months ago. MUCH better than the original.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 5190
    @ICBM won’t give me advice for the rest of the year, but I prefer Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30905
    dindude said:
    @ICBM won’t give me advice for the rest of the year, but I prefer Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah 
    You're allowed to.

But Leonard Cohen's version is *better* :).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 773
    Mad World - Gary Jules

• dtrdtr Frets: 315
    i always liked Personal Jesus best of the Johnny Cash American recording covers.

And my personal fave cover (at the moment)...

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 555
    Tough to cover the Stones, but always adored this...

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 602
    Sure I’ll offend a Dylan lover with this but despite me respect and admiration for his lyrical ability, I’ve always loved The Byrds version of Mr Tambourine man.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30905
    Sure I’ll offend a Dylan lover with this but despite me respect and admiration for his lyrical ability, I’ve always loved The Byrds version of Mr Tambourine man.
    I love both of them. The extra verses have some fantastic imagery in Dylan's version, but he also drones on for slightly too long with not enough melodic variation in places. The Byrds version is definitely a case of less is more, but as a record rather than a song... if that makes sense!
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 602
    ICBM said:
    I love both of them. The extra verses have some fantastic imagery in Dylan's version, but he also drones on for slightly too long with not enough melodic variation in places. The Byrds version is definitely a case of less is more, but as a record rather than a song... if that makes sense!
    In total agreement with you there. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7597
    Big Wreck's cover of "War Baby" by Tom Robinson. Utterly wonderful.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7597
    Oh, and SikTh's version of "Tupelo" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Remarkable.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • fobfob Frets: 351

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 728
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 728

OR

• RockerRocker Frets: 2573
    Shine on you crazy diamond, Christy Moore. Not suggesting it is better than the original but the story in the song is better told than it is by Pink Floyd. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 783
    Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5406
    edited March 4
    Sid Viscous' delivery of Eddie Cochran's Something Else...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
    Absolutely. His version is actually listenable.
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 1159
    Song To The Siren by This Mortal Coil, Probably the greatest cover in history, in my not-so-humble opinion.
     I Am The Cosmos by The Posies. Much as I like the original (by Chris Bell), The Posies one has the edge.
     He'd Be  a Diamond by Teenage Fanclub. Why this was ticked away on a b side is anyone's guess. Flawless.
    I love your magnificently-tied-to-the-90s tastes... it's my youth as well.
    The Fall - Lost In Music
    The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Delilah
    Bar For Lashes - I'm On Fire
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 5441

Springsteen’s song? I’ve not heard that cover...i’ll check it out. 

Springsteen’s song? I’ve not heard that cover...i’ll check it out. 
    It is pure sex.