Cover versions that are better than the originals....

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 3489
    Captain Sensible version of Happy Talk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 730
    Came across another one yesterday “Dear Prudence”.

Siouxsie and the Banshees’ version is far better than The Beatles’
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31616
    To be honest most Dylan covers are better than the original.

Especially when they are taken in a new direction like The White Stripes version of One More Cup Of Coffee.
    I love this one - Bic Runga... it has a fantastic spaghetti-western grandeur to it with the orchestral arrangement.

I think Dylan is very underrated as a singer though, it's just the tone of his voice that puts a lot of people off.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 834
    Always preferred Roxy's Jealous Guy over the Lennon original.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 171
    Srv’s Testify is a huge improvement on the lacklustre Isley brothers, even if Hendrix is on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • valevale Frets: 948
    TonyR said:
    Came across another one yesterday “Dear Prudence”.

Siouxsie and the Banshees’ version is far better than The Beatles’
    the absolute & indisputable truth. the original sounds like a sh*tfarm in august.

on the other hand i like the auger trinty whatever she is version of 'wheel on fire' marginally more than the banshees, but still think the banshees version is ace.

this may be a shade unexpected but it works for me. original just generic bubblegum.

what she said.
    edited June 2
    deleted post as am a bit bored of both of them.
    what she said.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 310
    This is a pretty good one.

or this.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 414
    This is good fun 

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2011

Controversial, but Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my Mind improves on the already excellent Presley version. Yeah, I know.

Also, Bonamassa's version of Sloe Gin is a superb improvement on Tim Curry's, although the original is quite dark and brooding and good.

And Finally Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love is so good, its synonymous with them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1116
    Aretha Franklin and “respect”

nuff said!.
    edited June 7

Controversial, but Pet Shop Boys version of Always on my Mind improves on the already excellent Presley version. Yeah, I know.

Also, Bonamassa's version of Sloe Gin is a superb improvement on Tim Curry's, although the original is quite dark and brooding and good.

And Finally Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love is so good, its synonymous with them. 

agree with both the soft cell & pet shop boys covers.

i'm barely old enough to remember, but judging by contemporary best-ofs ('now' & 'totp') there were a lot of sh*t covers of classics in the early 1980s when anything with a synth on was a novelty. but those two are stand out excellent.
    what she said.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 250
    I'd nominate Robert Wyatt's version of Shipbuilding ( my memory of this prompted by his OGWT performance which someone posted on here the other day). But, yes, tends to be familiarity really and that's hard for your head to get past. 
    Replying a bit late, but... Wyatt's version is the original - the song was written for him to sing. Costello's version is the cover, if anything. 
    Ahh, okay, I never knew that. 
    Ah, but Chet Bakers solo on the Costello version is magnificent.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 556
    edited June 7
    I like most of the songs on the RATM Renegades album more than the originals. Then again they're not really covers, more like rage instrumentals with other people's lyrics.

Social Distortion - Under My Thumb.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1617
    TTBZ said:
    I like most of the songs on the RATM Renegades album more than the originals. Then again they're not really covers, more like rage instrumentals with other people's lyrics.

Social Distortion - Under My Thumb.
    Renegades is the only RATM album I have, but I've never listened to it. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 1772

I didn't realise it was a cover for a while and thought it was evidence of Bonamassa's song-writing. Nope! :)

I actually prefer the Tim Curry version.

R.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 508
    Just for a laugh, has nobody mentioned this one yet?  No, wait, it was better than the original!

A few more I think are better than the originals:

Rush - Summertime Blues
    Winterplay - Billie Jean
    Pat Travers - Ain't Superstitious
    Crooked Still - Little Sadie (not really a cover to be fair but the best version out there)
    Buddy Holly - Bo Diddley
    Paul McCartney - All Shook Up

Rod Stewart's version of Jailhouse Rock is bloody good.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 117
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2243
    Arguably this is at least as good as the original!

• guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 82
    The yacht rock version of enter sandman

skip to 2.30

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 188
    Route 66 - Stones...

they defo nailed that song by making it more Chuck Berry than Chuck himself did.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6995
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

they defo nailed that song by making it more Chuck Berry than Chuck himself did.
    I guess their’s was based off the Berry version although the song was originally recorded by Nat King Cole. Haven’t heard it for a while but I really loved the Brian Setzer version. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • DougDoug Frets: 106
    edited June 8
    Gary Moore - Shapes of Things 
  • DougDoug Frets: 106
    Phil X Superstition 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 188
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

I guess their’s was based off the Berry version although the song was originally recorded by Nat King Cole. Haven’t heard it for a while but I really loved the Brian Setzer version. 
    Maybe based off hearing his version but Berry's sounded most like his normal trademark 12 bar riff.  Where as stones brought it up to what a Berry song should have sounded like and of course added a whole chunk of themselves
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6995
    mr-mac said:
    mr-mac said:
    Route 66 - Stones...

Maybe based off hearing his version but Berry's sounded most like his normal trademark 12 bar riff.  Where as stones brought it up to what a Berry song should have sounded like and of course added a whole chunk of themselves
    Just playing different versions as I’m cleaning up in the kitchen. The Berry version is different to the Cole version and then the Stones version takes it further. They were each a few years apart so there’s a clear evolution but it does mean listening to them back to back the Berry one becomes the version that isn’t quite one thing or another. 

I think Cole is overlooked a bit these days, I guess he didn’t have Rat Pack cool and he did record a lot of schmaltz but he was a tremendous jazz/ blues pianist and had such a rich voice. Or perhaps I’m getting old enough that Nat King Cole is starting to appeal and I’ll start cranking up Andy Williams and Perry Como next...
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 508
    The yacht rock version of enter sandman

skip to 2.30

Oh I do like that!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31616
    That reminds me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."