Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Putin's Poisoners at it in Salisbury

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    seany65 said:
    I wouldn't mind so much about the Brit Govt. going on about this if the 'evidence' they had was more than "Well the poison stuff seems to have been made in the Soviet union".

To me, that's like blaming Germany  if an ISIS terrorist uses a VW camper Van to run down and kill a few people.

That's a moronic analogy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    seany65 said:
    I wouldn't mind so much about the Brit Govt. going on about this if the 'evidence' they had was more than "Well the poison stuff seems to have been made in the Soviet union".

To me, that's like blaming Germany  if an ISIS terrorist uses a VW camper Van to run down and kill a few people.

I think the analogy only starts to work if the camper van was an enormously complex and dangerous machine which could only be driven by a tiny number of very highly trained personnel, all of the known ones being in the German military.

Sometimes you can't get certainty about things.  If the evidence shows a 95% degree of probability that someone intends to kill you, and you can never have incontrovertible proof, and that he will succeed unless you shoot him first, you have a choice to make.  I don't think the West can have the luxury of not reacting to Putin because it can't turn virtual certainty into absolute certainty.
    Yep. And you don’t start poking The Bear with a stick unless there’s a VERY high degree of probability  that it was him that shat on your doorstep. Even Mrs May isn’t that stupid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Be Reyt! That soft posh kid said Russia should go away and shut up..
    Putin will be shitting himself now!
     =) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    boogieman said:

Yep. And you don’t start poking The Bear with a stick unless there’s a VERY high degree of probability  that it was him that shat on your doorstep. Even Mrs May isn’t that stupid.
    Given how aggressive the bear is now, it might even be better to clean up the shit ourselves and pretend the doorstep doesn't stink, even if we actually saw him do it. The problem is that he will then just go on shitting on doorsteps... but the question is whether you really want to go out and argue with a bear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited March 2018
    Obviously the nerve agent method was a bit too showy, they've moved on to strangulation now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Obviously the nerve agent method was a bit too showy, they've movedf on to strangulation now.
    They were probably disappointed that the other 14 or so they've killed were all put down as suicide, so they had to do something to make it more obvious. They can now go back to the easy way...

Interesting to see if the MI6 man who "locked himself" inside a suitcase which was impossible from the inside is one of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6138
    What's interesting about the Russian position is that they could be saying: "It can't be us. We destroy ALL chemical weapons last year. Look - photo of us getting a certificate from nice OPCW man for doing it. You want see certificate? Frame is nice, yes? Solid wood, not potato."

But they're not saying anything like that.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    seany65 said:

I think the analogy only starts to work if the camper van was an enormously complex and dangerous machine which could only be driven by a tiny number of very highly trained personnel, all of the known ones being in the German military.

Sometimes you can't get certainty about things.  If the evidence shows a 95% degree of probability that someone intends to kill you, and you can never have incontrovertible proof, and that he will succeed unless you shoot him first, you have a choice to make.  I don't think the West can have the luxury of not reacting to Putin because it can't turn virtual certainty into absolute certainty.
    Some of that is actually true, isn't it? I claim my "Unbelievable Truth" point.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Putin feels very safe knowing he has the US president in his pocket, sorry I mean on his side.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Garthy said:
    seany65 said:

Oh, is it? Are you sure the Russkies did it?

Why, because the Govt. told you so and you can't be arsed asking for actual evidence?

How moronic is it to take seriously Govt. spokespeople being all indignant and angry  about the idea that innocent people could have been harmed/killed by this stuff, when the Brit Govt. has bombed hundreds, or even thousands of innocent people to bits and justified doing so with lies?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    seany65 said:
    Garthy said:
    seany65 said:

Oh, is it? Are you sure the Russkies did it?

Why, because the Govt. told you so and you can't be arsed asking for actual evidence?

How moronic is it to take seriously Govt. spokespeople being all indignant and angry  about the idea that innocent people could have been harmed/killed by this stuff, when the Brit Govt. has bombed hundreds, or even thousands of innocent people to bits and justified doing so with lies?

Well, let's see:
    1) Putin said he was going to do it
    2) Putin has done it before
    3) Russians who have fallen out with Putin and co die in suspicious circumstances all over the world.
    4) Russia lied to the OPCW about its chemical weapons
    5) the certificate Russia got for destroying ALL of its chemical weapons is a bit odd
    6) there are Russian chemical weapons experts openly reporting their time developing these weapons
    7) you can't just weaponise this stuff and deploy it as if it were rat poison - it requires a level of expertise and a testing regime that isn't available to the average crook

So there's that and then there's this: as scummy as the British Establishment has been in its warmongering, extraordinary rendition, etc, it is as nothing compared to what Putin's been up to for the last 20 years.

So what sort of idiot would one have to be to look at the evidence and the past behaviours of HMG and those of the Russian State and then to conclude that the balance of probabilities is that HMG did it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2018
    Actually, public opinion might change on this practice as, as a result, all parking charges have been suspended in and around Salisbury!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

1) When did Putin say He was going poison Skrpal and His daughter, and how do you know this?
    4) How do you know Russia lied to the OPCW?
    5) How do you know the certificate Russia got is 'odd'?
    6) Just because Russian scientists admit to developing these weapons doesn't mean no-one else could or did. A good example of a big weapon that is difficult to develop and make are Nuclear bombs. Lots of countries have developed and made them.
    7) Agreed. But is the Russian Govt the only Govt that can do this?
    2) and 3) are basically the same point. Can you name a govt that hasn't murdered it's 'enemies'? Does this 'prove' Russia did it?

You are correct. What the Brit Govt. has done does not compare to what the Russian Govt. has done. The Brit Govt has helped to kill tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, I'm not sure the Russian Govt can match that.

I'd like to be able to answer your last point, but the Brit Govt. has not shown any evidence of any sort other than "Well, they've done this shit before, so..."

The organisation looking into this affair has apparently said they won't be able to come up with a clear answer for another couple of weeks.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Has anyone said if the Father and Daughter are dead yet? I would assume so, but I haven't seen any confirmation.
    seany65 said:

What the Brit Govt. has done does not compare to what the Russian Govt. has done. The Brit Govt has helped to kill tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, I'm not sure the Russian Govt can match that.
    Er... ever heard of Chechnya, Georgia, or eastern Ukraine? Have a search on the nasty little wars Russia has been pursuing in those places and see if you can work out if the total death toll is under, or over, a hundred thousand.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Schnozz said:
    Has anyone said if the Father and Daughter are dead yet? I would assume so, but I haven't seen any confirmation.
    I think there's a news embargo on their deaths, the live TV reporters keep slipping up and correcting themselves on this point.
    Garthy said:

I think there's a news embargo on their deaths, the live TV reporters keep slipping up and correcting themselves on this point.
    My guess is that they're technically being kept alive, but will never recover from the severe nervous system damage they must have suffered.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    I've heard it's all just a film set and they've been seen walking around the wider wiltshire area. Something to do with a flag or something, I dunno. 
    Anyways, there's a youtube video about it, so it must be true. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    seany65 said:
    gooldtop,

1) When did Putin say He was going poison Skrpal and His daughter, and how do you know this?
    4) How do you know Russia lied to the OPCW?
    5) How do you know the certificate Russia got is 'odd'?
    6) Just because Russian scientists admit to developing these weapons doesn't mean no-one else could or did. A good example of a big weapon that is difficult to develop and make are Nuclear bombs. Lots of countries have developed and made them.
    7) Agreed. But is the Russian Govt the only Govt that can do this?
    2) and 3) are basically the same point. Can you name a govt that hasn't murdered it's 'enemies'? Does this 'prove' Russia did it?

You are correct. What the Brit Govt. has done does not compare to what the Russian Govt. has done. The Brit Govt has helped to kill tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people, I'm not sure the Russian Govt can match that.

I'd like to be able to answer your last point, but the Brit Govt. has not shown any evidence of any sort other than "Well, they've done this shit before, so..."

The organisation looking into this affair has apparently said they won't be able to come up with a clear answer for another couple of weeks.

If the bold bit is your honest assessment, after you've actually done some research, I'm not going to bother. You are clearly looking at this with blinkers.

An open mind and skepticism for your government is one thing, and healthy, but to use that and yet have an total inability to work out the balance of probabilities here is... bizarre. But handy for Putin's info-chaos purposes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24251
    "Ve vere just flying all ze vay from Moscow to England to visit the incredible internationally acclaimed town of.... Salisbury.  It's so vunderful.  Our friends said ve should come, so ve did.  Stayed two days and flew all the way back to Moscow.....  Ve are just tourists....    ...Honest"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45509697

Hahahahahaha.........

No, seriously....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom